Wet Weather Footwear Advice

Brian

So, I'm back in the office after a couple of weeks of standing around in muddy wet fields making things go 'Bang' and top of my 'To-Do' list is "Buy new boots that don't let in water."

I've got a pair of S3 rated boots that are, according to the S3 rating...

Water penetration and water absorption resistance.

Except I was having to empty several mm of water out of them every few hours. Working with water sloshing around your feet isn't fun and isn't healthy in this weather.

Can anyone recommend any waterproof boots that are...

a) Properly waterproof

b) Comfy

c) Warm

d) Safe

I once complained about my boots in the company of a firefighter, who recommended the ones he uses very highly. However, I didn't follow it up as I don't spend enough time in muddy fields to justify the reported £450 price tag. Do you?

Can do safe and waterproof (warm dependent on thick socks) - chainsaw wellies. Can't vouch for comfort as I've only ever worn a borrowed pair that were several sizes too big, and didn't have them on for too long. Did spend most of that time standing in a flooded valve chamber, so I can vouch for trhe waterproof aspect. From memory they had toecaps.

...£450 price tag.

Ouch. Proably a bit more than I'd want to spend.

Can do safe and waterproof...

Would something like that meet your needs?

I've never found wellies that comfortable, certainly not enough to wear for 8 hours or more at a time.

Some farming friends recommend "Muck Boots" and having helped out a couple of times (and borrowed spare boots) I can attest to their comfiness and warmth. They're not cheap, but nowhere near the price of the firefighting boots!

Here in the temperate rainforest, I have a pair of these:

http://www.bogsfootwear.ca/shop//images/shoeMens/w420/51377-001.jpg

which are certainly hitting the first three points. They're incredibly comfy and warm, (I walk to work in them, and often forget they're on and leave them on all day - easily passing the 8-hour test) and the neoprene upper section is a lot more forgiving on the larger gentleman's legs. If you need steeltoed too, they do make these:Link but I haven't tried that particular pair on.

The big grabby handles on the pair I have are especially good. Recommended.

Here's a UK purchase link: http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000TH8MZE.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg About 100 pounds. (This keyboard has no pound key, just $$$!)

IME, no leather or canvas boot is truly waterproof. The better ones will stand up to briefly stepping in water, walking through wet grass or in heavy rain, but not to standing in water IME.

Rubber Wellington boots are the answer, not very warm but that is easily dealy with by purchasing a size larger and wearing 2 pairs of thick socks. Reduced height Wellingtons are available (properly called "half wellingtons") and may be more comfortable provided that the water be not too deep.

This keyboard has no pound key, just $$$!

Alt down and hold, 156 on the number pad, release alt ===> £

Kiwi keyboards don't have a pound sign either :)

Though to be fair, I learned this trick in about 1982 when I started programming PCs in the UK, and we had American machines, prior to the UK launch of the IBM PC.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived