3 way crossover

danlightingman210

there was a rattle coming from one of my speakers so I took it apart and found something which had come lose from my crossover, it is a 3 way crossover and I have no mid speaker driver working guessing it because of this lose part. it is a little rectangle shape grey in colour with what looks like a white ceramic inside to it with two little bits of wire coming out of it doesn't look like a major technical thing but just wondered what it is! plus when I put a peice of bare wire between the two connections where this part usually is the mid driver works again. what is this part please and will I get away with soldering this piece of bare wire in to make it work? the bare wire has plastic cover on it so wouldnt be totally bare. thanks guys

wots written on the little grey box?

will I get away with soldering this piece of bare wire in to make it work

yes it will work,however your possible running the mid driver outside its comfort zone as you've possible changed the crossover frequency

It's probably a capacitor, and without it your crossover won't work properly. Replacing it with a piece of wire will very likely change the range of frequencies going to the mid driver, and could easily cause damage to it as it tries to reproduce frequencies it was not designed to handle. If you cannot identify the part and its value, then I would suggest you need to get the help of someone who does know their components!

Thanks guys thats all really helpful. On the box it has a funny looking number 6, the 1.j100 is that any good? It is literallya little grey box smaller than a finger tip, with what looks to be some sort of ceramic substance inside of it with two little wires sticking out of it! It was also attatched next to another little grey box on crossover but this one is still attatched

I would bet the farm (I don't own a farm, http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) that it is a resistor. Only the numbers don't give me much clue of its value. 6 Watts maybe? Anyway, if it only came loose and is not kaputt, I'd just solder it back in (or ask someone to do it), and the problem would be solved. Or am I missing something?

Norbert

The answer is to solder it back in. I presume that you have the other speaker in the pair so I would look at that and compare. You may need to extend the short bits of wire but in general this is quite an easy job.

Alternately let us know what speakers they are and I'm sure someone on Blue Room will be able to tell you what part it is. Also some images of the part and the board where it came from would help.

If you just solder a wire in you risk permanent damage.

Archived