Freelancer Applications... how do you like yours?

top-cat

A week and a day ago I posted this http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=59346 advert, looking for freelancers for my corporate event venue in London. I won't copy it as you can read the link, but the long and the short was:

I am looking for sound technicians, lighting technicians, AV technicians; multi-skilled technicians would be looked fondly upon. General stagehands / local crew are also encouraged to apply.

References not necessary as such but please list your experience and other places you have worked, and do so accurately and honestly. I'm always happy to give new guys a gig, so if this is you, tell me now rather than letting me find out the hard way, and I can work it into my schedule.

Please let me know about any tickets / qualifications / training etc as this is always helpful, we do use scissor lifts where possible so an IPAF would be great although not essential, we can always give training to the right people. Since we have a lot of in-house equipment, listing your familiarity with any particular products or brands would also be useful to me. As a freelancer you would be expected to have your own Public Liability Insurance, so please just confirm that you have that.

In the 8 days that have followed I have received quite a lot of applications. This is the first time I've ever looked for freelancers for my books and being a freelancer myself it was interesting as it did give me a sneaky peek at what else was out there. I would say the split between great - useable - waste of paper was about 10% - 60% - 30%, which was more or less what I was expecting, but I thought it might be interesting to post a thread for other people who use freelancers to comment on similar experiences and what makes them tick - as maybe once this thread has run it's course it may be a useful resource for freelancers looking for work to see what to do and what not to do when applying for such roles.

As initial observations I would say the following:

- I asked for sound / light / AV technicians, and said that multi-skilled technicians would be looked upon fondly. When I say 'multi-skilled' , yes some sound experience on a lampy would be great but I think if your experience amounts to plugging 2 or 3 mics into a small mixer and through a pair of active speakers, you can't list yourself as 'lighting and sound'. To me, to pitch yourself as a sound engineer in any respect you do need to know what you're doing with reasonably good depth. I'm not saying don't mention it, but I don't think you should introduce yourself as a light and sound engineer, unless you could do either role as an independent freelancer in it's own right?

- I said references weren't necessary but listing experience or companies worked for would be good. I received very few that actually stated who they'd worked for. Is there something that stops you? Some people who I invited down to the venue were more than happy to chat about where they'd worked but nobody wanted to write it. It's a genuine question - are people concerned I'll ask for a reference and annoy your client by wasting their time? Or do you have something to hide? "Worked for ABC Lighting... (once!)". As I said to one person, saying "I worked for a hire company in the Midlands" is of no use to me whatsoever. That could mean you drove a van for Disco Dave of Wolverhampton delivering maplin lighting equipment to 40th birthday parties, or it could mean you were working as a tech at PRG. Unless you clarify which - I'd say the sceptics in us are more likely to think the former than the latter! It's also a bit strange when you list working at "a hire company" and "a stage company" and "a sound company" and then saying "I did some work for Showforce". Why is it the only company you'll actually list by name is the local crew one?

- I said explicitly you'd need Public Liability Insurance and yet many people applied who didn't. You need to read the advert! What do you seek to gain by applying for a position that I've already told you, you can't get?! Being unable to read instructions is seldom ever a good quality for a freelancer to possess either, so you're not in good stead even if I could make an exception!

- I have been quite surprised by the amount of freelancers who don't have an IPAF ticket. There is such an emphasis in modern working that ladders are not access platforms (and for the record I totally agree, dismounting a heavy moving light with a difficult centre of gravity from a truss at the top of a zarges is simply not good and a fall could so easily occur) and scissor lifts are so commonplace in corporate events, with cherry pickers seen on the bigger gigs... I cannot understand why everyone isn't qualified. It's about £150 to do an IPAF ticket. That's less than 1 day's pay by most people's rates. So if you lose a day's work for not having one, it's a loss already. Lose a week's work and that's just silly! Seriously people, just do it... one day's faff makes more 5 years greater employability!

- Equipment familiarity is a funny one. Some people have told me at great length how they can use a mix wizard of a phonic mixer. Or that they can use a graphic EQ to a 'high standard'. That isn't equipment familiarity. Every sound engineer should be able to do all of those things. Equipment familiarity is systems that are specific and require training in their own right - so yes, if you list "Midas Pro6" then that's fine because that's a reasonably complex system within it's own right. Small analogue desks aren't. Same with lighting - if you can change the gobos in an Entour, say so. If you know how to put a gel in a PAR can I'm not so fussed - because if you can't then you're not a freelance lampy really!

As a final thing, I've also been really surprised at just how many freelancers there are with less than 2 years experience in the game altogether. Genuine question - why are you freelance at all? I was always taught that you get a full time job and eventually when you know exactly what you're doing and you're very good at it you go freelance to do your own thing. But there seems to be a lot of people who are freelance from the off... and I just wonder - where did you learn? Because you're sure as hell not on my gigs to learn a job, you're there to do it. When I said 'new guys' I meant 'new freelancers' really - IE people recently out of a full time job - not people recently out of school. In my eyes - to be a freelancer, you need to be a professional in a trade that can work independently under quick instructions. I like to use people whose work I don't have to check and people I don't have to teach. I think there are too many people looking for experience in freelancing. You have to remember, if you're a freelancer for me, I am your paying client; and I am not paying to teach you! That's the wrong way round! Somebody (anonymous here) wrote to me:

I am writing to express an interest in becoming a Freelance Technician for you. I believe I have the skills to for fill this area. I think the job would both be challenging and enjoyable for me. I see this as a great place to progress my career and experience.

Which to me just instantly demonstrates a lack of experience and general understanding of what freelancers do. You don't freelance for somebody because you want to 'progress your career and experience'. Freelancers are providing a service that you require, much the same as if you call in window cleaners or a plumber. I wouldn't get a chippy in to cut down a door frame and have him explain to me on the phone he was keen to get more experience on the job! Would you? I think that's my biggest observation really... if you are a new guy and you are looking to gain experience, going out to people as a freelance, independent technician, charging a full day rate, is not the place to do it and you will very quickly get the wrong side of somebody when you are in a tight spot and don't know how to do the job that you're being expected to do.

Aslo how anybody came to the conclusion that my place would be "challenging and enjoyable" off the back of the above advert is completely beyond me! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

I'd really like to hear others' opinions both from people who apply as freelancers and people who use freelancers as to what your observations are and how you treat them, and how much success you have 'advertising' for freelancers over simply ringing your mates.

Personally my choice to become a freelancer was out of necessity and not choice, as thats where the work was, being a freelancer has kinda stuck not saying I wouldn't jump at a full time job(The right one hasn't turned up).

Applying as a freelancer is difficult because its hard knowing what people want to know! A face to face chat is much better.

The point about actually having something to offer as a freelancer is well made, although I do feel a little sheepish about the notion that you have to get a full time job before working as a sub-contractor (because I, er, didn't). However, I only happened to start freelancing as people like Stage Electrics (and smaller outfits) seemed to want to be able to subcontract young, keen technicians to tag along and provide what experience they had, do stuff and have them beggar off after the gig until next time. Unfortunately I fear that "freelance" is as much a byword for "looking for work but scratching around doing odds and sods", particularly in the current market and that includes new entrants as much as anyone.

One thing I have to try and iron out during student's employability learning is the tendency to lead an application (even for work experience) with what a great opportunity it would be and how much it would bring to the student. It doesn't take much to spin things around to be focused on what the employer will get out of it, but even so. Nice to see that "I feel that working for you as a freelance nobody would be a great opportunity for me to pay the rent and learn how to do stuff" lives on in the application market. Makes me feel better for the chances of my own guys.

Funny thing is, even though I started out by getting around and meeting and dropping CVs etc. (you gotta start somehow,huh?) I can't imagine this working any more knowing the industry from the inside. Before I stopped freelancing I don't think I'd worked for a "new" client (or at least, one that I had no connection with even through mutual colleagues) for maybe 10 years!!

I don't envy you having to wade through all those applications but was surprised to see a rough 30% waste of paper. You might have got more than 30%. :-)

I received very few that actually stated who they'd worked for...

...As I said to one person, saying "I worked for a hire company in the Midlands" is of no use to me whatsoever.

Your advert says:

.. a popular and busy corporate events venue in London.

And you don't identify yourself in the post, or in your profile beyond listing your name as "Dave".

It's effectively anonymous. Why so coy? Perhaps if you want respondents to your ad to be less vague you need to be a bit more forthcoming yourself.

You don't freelance for somebody because you want to 'progress your career and experience'. Freelancers are providing a service that you require, much the same as if you call in window cleaners or a plumber. I wouldn't get a chippy in to cut down a door frame and have him explain to me on the phone he was keen to get more experience on the job!

I've been "freelancing" for the best part of 20 years, and I've learned a lot during that time. I still learn something most days at work.

Employers obviously have an interest in the personal development of their employees, I think it would be rather short sighted not to extend that to sub-contracted self-employed technicians. Just because a person is competent doesn't mean they have nothing left to learn.

Your analogy is flawed - an AV company engaging a self-employed technician is not like "getting a chippy in to cut down a door frame". It's more like a window-fitting company "getting a chippy in" to help them meet demand during a busy spell, not the same relationship at all.

I asked for sound / light / AV technicians, and said that multi-skilled technicians would be looked upon fondly. When I say 'multi-skilled' , yes some sound experience on a lampy would be great but I think if your experience amounts to plugging 2 or 3 mics into a small mixer and through a pair of active speakers, you can't list yourself as 'lighting and sound'. To me, to pitch yourself as a sound engineer in any respect you do need to know what you're doing with reasonably good depth. I'm not saying don't mention it, but I don't think you should introduce yourself as a light and sound engineer, unless you could do either role as an independent freelancer in it's own right?

I take the view, like you, that unless you could happily freelance in that area independently in the usual sort of work that you undertake, you're not skilled enough to describe yourself as such. For example I'd never describe myself as a sound engineer or A/V tech despite having a decent working knowledge of both areas, because I couldn't walk into an arena show and just crack on to make it happen as I can with lighting. That's the level of experience and familiarity I believe you need to have to legitimately be able to describe yourself as such.

I said explicitly you'd need Public Liability Insurance and yet many people applied who didn't. You need to read the advert! What do you seek to gain by applying for a position that I've already told you, you can't get?! Being unable to read instructions is seldom ever a good quality for a freelancer to possess either, so you're not in good stead even if I could make an exception!

A freelancer without PLI would set off alarm bells in my head - it's basically an indication that they're just looking to move to freelancing and are thus inexperienced, or if that's not the case they're probably generally dodgy.

I have been quite surprised by the amount of freelancers who don't have an IPAF ticket.

I don't have an IPAF ticket as none of my work with any of my clients requires it currently. The minute that changes I will be looking into it, but for now there's no point for me personally.

- Equipment familiarity is a funny one...Same with lighting - if you can change the gobos in an Entour, say so. If you know how to put a gel in a PAR can I'm not so fussed - because if you can't then you're not a freelance lampy really!

I'd expect anyone freelancing in lighting to be able to change the gobos in a mover. Equipment familiarity in that context for me is being comfortable with a specific desk or complex control system - having a good understanding of how MANet works or how your data gets from the desk, via Artnet, to the individual fixture.

As a final thing, I've also been really surprised at just how many freelancers there are with less than 2 years experience in the game altogether. Genuine question - why are you freelance at all?

Someone recently asked me how in the world I could be freelance at the age of 24. Quite simply, because I'm good enough to be able to do exactly as you've said, and I've built up a body of experience which allows me to be so - as said person realised within about 30 mintues. I never quite got my head around those who walk out of university into 'freelancing', because they frequently don't have the first clue about how things work in the real world!

There's "freelance" and "freelance" though eh?

In my experience, when it's a venue that says they're seeking to recruit a "freelance multi-skilled technician" what they actually want is effectively a cassie.

There's some interesting points here and I want to make sure people understand that I put my points forward in a discussional sense, not a gospel sense. I think there is valid argument about taking freelancing as necessity over choice as that's where the work is. No doubt there is an element in this industry, as others, where the ter,s "freelancing" and "casual employment" cross - probably to make it sound better for the slightly immoral stance of the employer. I would say anybody still learning their trade - and when I say learning I mean - the funadementals (sure Seano, every day is a learning day, but there's a difference) - even in a freelance capacity, is probably fitting the 'employee' mould more than the 'freelancer' one , regardless of how their tax is done or whether they have a contract. With the chippy analogy, I think it depends how your organisation is run, ultimately. In this sitution, we are not an AV company and I don't have the capacity to train or supervise (beyond basic principle supervision). I don't use teams of freelancers. I run the technical department with no full time crew and I'll have one or two freelancers in on an event to take lead of the sound and A/V needs. So really, it is still like taking on a contractor, as whilst I could answer questions, I'm not in a position to offer on the job training or full time supervision. With robs point in mind, I think yes it is fair to say "fair play" to those who are busy freelancers on the back of no prior appointment. If you get the work, then you could say you have succeeded in that respect and there is no norm to compare with. However on the flip side of the coin you have Seanos very valid point that "there's freelance and there's freelance" - when somebody is reading your CV and all you have is freelance on it, there's no way of telling whether that's "freelance 5 days a week" or "freelance as and when I can get it". So I don't know if it's as easy to find new work, if there is less ability to offer realistic proof of what you've done before. In those cases - I expect Rob you were alright, as you'd made a name for yourself come the end of freelancing; or alternatively going back to my previous point, this is where it may be helpful to list names of companies you've worked for. (hence me asking why people don't). I think we all like to just see some sort of verification that you've been doing it and doing it successfully. I recently had a guy come in the venue with apparently 22 years experience as an LD and the client's production team unanimously agreed it was some of the worst lighting they'd ever seen. And I had to agree.It's just like - genuine point - if I get an email from somebody who is 21 years old, has never worked at a production company full time and is unable to provide any freelance history beyond "loads of venues and various festivals" - what can I take from that?As for bring anonymous - I think that's mainly just wanting to separate me as an individual from the company and ensure I never bring them into disrepute, avoid a bit of internal politics along the way, and prevent anybody from attempting to contact me through the venue when I'd rather keep all initial contact in the Blue Room domain for ease and best use of my time.

Sadly now "freelancing" is the new "casual assistant light/sound/etc." As fewer people are prepared to employ, experience only comes from bullsh1tting your way in to that select group who have knowledge and experience.

I used to think that one NEEDED two to five years of employed experience prior to being a legitimate freelancer, now I realise that there are too few employed positions offered for all the freelancers needed in the industry to ever get that experience. If you want short time people for (eg Christmas) season you ARE going to have to take an inexperienced person and train them.

I used to think that one NEEDED two to five years of employed experience prior to being a legitimate freelancer, now I realise that there are too few employed positions offered for all the freelancers needed in the industry to ever get that experience. If you want short time people for (eg Christmas) season you ARE going to have to take an inexperienced person and train them.

You say that, but I know several employers who have offered warehouse or bench technician positions for full timers - with a view to them working up to on-site positions - who have struggled to get take-up on their advert.

Is that the sign of an impatient generation who don't want to have to wait before being allowed on the 'fun stuff" ?

I would say that all of my peers who are working in the best touring gigs are the ones who started as warehouse or bench techs and worked their way up the ladder, not those who advertised themselves as freelance lighting designers off the back of nothing.

Is that the sign of an impatient generation who don't want to have to wait before being allowed on the 'fun stuff" ?

It could be a sign of the academicisation of training combined with £30,000 student loans. Who can afford to take a relatively low paid position just to get experience when they have a debt of that magnitude hanging over them?

As relative wages have fallen then skills and trades have been devalued until a Romanian with a pipe wrench is automatically a plumber. Why should entertainment be any different in the race to the bottom? My friends still working are having difficulty getting the same day rate as we used to get 15 years ago and most of them are worth more than me.

I agree with Kerry. I also think that there are far too many 'trained and qualified' ex students who have finished their educations to fill any starter jobs available and that often they have no alternative but to try and freelance with insufficient experience. The education system is churning out far more people with paper qualifications than the industry can absorb.

.... I also think that there are far too many 'trained and qualified' ex students who have finished their educations to fill any starter jobs available and that often they have no alternative but to try and freelance with insufficient experience. The education system is churning out far more people with paper qualifications than the industry can absorb......

But the industry was warned of a terrible shortage of backstage staff, and that 30,000 new technicians would be needed by 2017 http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

.... I also think that there are far too many 'trained and qualified' ex students who have finished their educations to fill any starter jobs available and that often they have no alternative but to try and freelance with insufficient experience. The education system is churning out far more people with paper qualifications than the industry can absorb......

But the industry was warned of a terrible shortage of backstage staff, and that 30,000 new technicians would be needed by 2017 http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Did the "industry" warn of that, or was it one of these representing educational boards who've cropped up as subject matter experts of everything the live production industry wants and needs?

In my experience, there are more technicians looking for productions than productions looking for technicians... and I fail to see where another 30,000 technicians-worth of productions are going to come from in the next 5 years!

It could be a sign of the academicisation of training combined with £30,000 student loans. Who can afford to take a relatively low paid position just to get experience when they have a debt of that magnitude hanging over them?

Valid point Kerry and one I hadn't really considered. If you are a new start warehouse tech you're looking at 16-18k. Maybe less - but I see stage electrics advertising for a "Lighting Power and Rigging Co-Ordinator" at 16k! And that's clearly not a new start role. In London, that kind of money will let you get by without paying off student debts, so you need to be on 20+ I'd think to cover it too.

But I do still wonder what has happened to the good British boy (or girl) who wanted to learn his trade? It may be a whole new thread, but is it a class thing? I had a discussion with somebody recently and we came to the conclusion that ir probably is. 'Backstage' jobs seem to be attracting a largely middle class audience, especially those going via HE as those in the lower classes just can't afford it. And traditionally it would seem that 'learning a trade' is something for the working classes. Is that partly to do with it? Are the very type of people who we're attracting to this industry just not fundamentally interested in becoming 'tradesmen'?

Did the "industry" warn of that, or was it one of these representing educational boards who've cropped up as subject matter experts of everything the live production industry wants and needs?

In my experience, there are more technicians looking for productions than productions looking for technicians... and I fail to see where another 30,000 technicians-worth of productions are going to come from in the next 5 years!

For those that are new to the game, we are back here again from 2007.

There is a conflict at work here. The research said we needed 30,000 "trained technicians" which we did and do, many of my peers should be retiring now, as I have. Some cannot afford to and others are terrified of the lack of anyone to take over.

The shortfall is being replaced in part by unskilled and untrained "freelancers". This has the knock-on effect of wages being lowered. Someone coming from an unskilled background is not going to demand the wages we were used to getting commensurate with our training and experience. £500 a week untaxed is a fortune to someone on PAYE at £10 an hour.

I don't know what will happen in future but the next few years could well see a split in the industry with a few highly paid, highly skilled technical staff and a host of untrained people bodging their way through. That is one of the things that CCSkills was warning about, a race to the bottom. It isn't just entertainment; "The Royal Academy of Engineering, says 100,000 STEM graduates are needed a year just to maintain the status quo." 2012

Archived