White 4ft x 4ft Flats

Tim gregory

I am looking to do a large (projection mapped) backdrop as per the following picture, based around 4ft x 4ft squares, ideally with some definition around the edges of each square.

PondsForge13%20-%20StageClose%20-%2023-09.jpg

I need nearly 50 of these flats and could make then in the usual way but don't want to end up storing this amount.

I have considered polystyrene sheets with chamfered edges but that would be a mission to hang and a nightmare to deal with.

I need something that is either cheap and easy to make (and disposable) or some flats in this sort of quantity that I could hire for this event.

Whatever we do needs to be quick and easy to hang in an array at the venue, even if it takes some time to prepare - I was thinking pin hinges or something like that.

Any suggestions of how to make these would be great.

Alternatively if you happen to have 50 4ft x 4ft flats available for hire near either Northampton or Sheffield that would also be great.

Thanks,

Tim

Perspex panels and steel wire rope. You clamp a u-bolt on to the rope at the correct spacings, grind down one side of the u-bolt so that you end up with a single bolt sticking out on the front of the wire, pass it through a drilled hole on the perspex sheet and use a dome nut to fasten. Looks really neat and clean.

http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00LSPtMFQBhIcD/Wire-Rope-Clip-U-Bolt-Clamp.jpg

(u-bolt clamps)

http://www.picturehanging.com/images/cable-wall-wall-fixed.gif

Commercial version of a similar design.

Is there any reason they have all to be individual 4x4 flats?

You might have an easier time all round by using larger flats, with the detail you want added in. Perhaps MDF faces with suitably routed detail to give the appearance you want? Easier to make, less material, easier to rig. :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I would love to do perspex but that would cost me some serious cash.

I could use larger sheets and router the details in but it is only going to be two squares to a standard MDF sheet anyway so not much saving there.

This is quite a large backdrop!

Tim

A few years ago Orbital (the band, not the sound company) had a set made from vacuum formed sheets, not too dissimilar to your graphic, which they had mounted on robe rotators, and projected onto. Unfortunately they all went in the skip recently, had this been a couple of months ago you could have had them.

At that size I would first off think of canvas, ripstop or fabric of some sort just due to the weight involved. I would also think of as few pieces as possible and painting/printing or projecting the "edge" delineation.

Also look at the way that standard display panels are slotted together like this type of thing and then use a combination of ideas to create what you want.

It sort of looks like it could be one big backdrop with three "doorways framed in it and a couple of blanks or cut-outs.

That's effectively 27 sheets of 8 x 4 board. Have you calculated the weight you will need to raise and support?

I have previously had some folding exhibition stands that were like an array of umbrellas, a small hand full of rods simply folded out and clicked into a 12' x 8' exhibition stand. and weighed almost nothing (but cost more than MDF!)

Even foam board and some cable tie pads + the grips on wire Mac mentions above might work. When packing you could concertina in as well. I am not sure on the robustness depending on how much you travel with it.

Same with the flute board. Perhaps a custom made laundry bag is in order.

Archived