need advice on creating a wall of light

cathy

Hey, :unsure: jus need some advice from those how know! im a fine art student and for my final exhibition I want to create a solid plane of light which will cut through a small space, I know im a bit out of water here and really need advice. My project is basically on connections and I want to use a 3d wall of light to connect people as they walk through a darken space. Ever seen the work of Anthony Mc Call and ya will know what I mean. This guy created a cone of light using a film projector and a haze machine.

I was able to create a plane of light on a small scale using a straight line laser (decorators laser) and a mirror wall. therefor the 'L' shaped beam bounced back and create a plane of light, and became solid light using the smoke from incent burners!! I really want this to work on a human scale and need advice on possible equipment and costs! every bit of help is appreciated. thanks guys

Ever seen the work of Anthony Mc Call and ya will know what I mean. This guy created a cone of light using a film projector and a haze machine.

When I saw this at the Hayward Gallery earlier this year as part of the 'eyes lies and illusions' exhibition I was really quite underwhelmed*. You get far more effective cones of light from a mac 250 or mini mac or similar - and that can rotate the gobos, too! :-) It can be quite trippy if you put a colour rotation on too.

Peter

<><

* I've been told by friends this doesn't mean what I'm using it to mean; never mind, you know what I mean!

I can think of 2 ways, either a row of M16's coned off note I've only done this idea with a table halogen) so < is the lamp = is the cone so it looks like

<=

<=

<=

etc etc

or a projector like In the Anthony Mc Call pictures but have a line rather than a cone. But the only way that could work is to have a more reassess in the wall, unless you have it beam at a bigger angle.

Hope all that makes sense.

prehaps hire a few digital light curtains?

How would that help?

Expensive, and won't get anywhere near meeting the "1cm" beam width requirement.

Cathy, the MR16 batten (also known as "Howie battens" or "Zip strips") idea will work well. These are simply a long row of lamps with a fairly narrow beam:

http://www.christielites.com/rental/images/Ministrip.gif

They are available in different sizes - 10, 20, 30 or 40 lamps in a single unit (about 2' up to about 8' long).

Each of the lamps is just the same as you might have in the downlighters in your bathroom or kitchen:

http://www.flexotek.com/images/mr16.jpg

but when the narrow beam ones are placed in a long line, they give quite a good plane of light.

From your profile I gather you're in N. Ireland - I'm afraid I don't know any hire companies to recommend in that part of the world, but to give you an idea on cost, here in SE England I can get the 40 lamp unit (8'5" long) for £50 per week (list price).

By the way, although the lamps in these units are only 12V, they're connected in series - just like fairy lights, so you could plug one of these straight into the mains.

Hopefully someone else here can recommend a local hire company to you - failing that, your local theatre should be able to point you at someone. Also try the technical team in your student union.

Tom

[EDIT] Can I start a petition to have Bryson's fingers glued together so he stops beating everyone else to the post, please? :unsure:

By the way, although the lamps in these units are only 12V, they're connected in series - just like fairy lights, so you could plug one of these straight into the mains.

If there are 20 lamps, it will be suitable for connecting directly to the (240v) mains. However, if only 10 lamps, then it is 110volts, meaning it needs to be connected in series with another one, so that it is driven at the correct voltage and not blown up

David

You get far more effective cones of light from a mac 250 or mini mac or similar - and that can rotate the gobos, too!

I'm really not trying to become a grumpy so and so :unsure: because I generally hate it when people on the forum go into massive rants about the unneeded use of movers etc. etc. but are you mad :) :) . The most expensive and possibly worst way if creating this effect would be to use moving lights. As for rotating gobos she only wants a wall of light why the hell would she want rotating gobos for a fine art piece that she describes.

Sorry for rant

If there are 20 lamps, it will be suitable for connecting directly to the (240v) mains. However, if only 10 lamps, then it is 110volts, meaning it needs to be connected in series with another one, so that it is driven at the correct voltage and not blown up

David

Of course you're absolutely right David.

Blame it on being tired - I always make sure I'm hiring multiples of 20 to avoid this becoming an issue!

Thanks for the eagle eyes.

Archived