Hanging Lanterns across a stage?

bricummo

Hi guys,

I'm not actually quite sure if this is possible/already available or out there?

I've basically had an idea for a lighting set I'd like to take on a tour later this year.

I'm kinda after a 'washing line' going across the stage with different sizes of 'paper lanterns' kinda like the old big round ones we had in our houses in the 70s/80s. Ideally they'd just have low wattage bulbs in more for creating an effect and filling the stage as an interesting effect than illumination.

Now is this 'doable' as in having a cable with connectors etc. already made up or is there another way of just fitting these lanterns in? Ideally it would need to be easy to just put up and strip down each night and variable in length.

Sorry if this sounds daft, Im just thinking on my feet ** laughs out loud **.

Cheers in advance,

Bri.

Ah, after a bit more research I've realised I need 'Festoon lighting'! :-)

Does anybody know the best place to buy it from, and also best way to power it?

I'll be touring Europe later this year and using house systems, and the stage sizes will vary from 8 metres wide to about 20 so Ideally I'd need a solution that could be up or downsized?

Any help guys?

Look at using led lighting if you can as it cuts back on power consumption, which reduces guage of wire, which lightens weight.

You need to work out how you are going to rig it as a cantenary system.

Read the recent threads about festoon lighting and having non breakable lamps above the stage.

I did notice a led lamp made in the same style as the tungsten halogen energy saver lamps the other day on the web. The led chip was at the end of the central glass stem.

I did notice a led lamp made in the same style as the tungsten halogen energy saver lamps the other day on the web. The led chip was at the end of the central glass stem.

Of course the problem there will be the likely fact that the LED lamps will not be dimmable...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies!

Hmm interesting, I'm not too sure if I'd need them 'dimmable' as they'd be more like props to fill out the stage as I'm doing a solo show and normally with a band, so led might be a good idea.

I will be utilising house lights, movers and Led battens to flood the stage with colour so just an array of different sized paper lanterns was the kind of idea.

What are cfls by the way? Sorry for sounding daft ** laughs out loud **.

Cheers guys,

Bri.

CFL= Compact Fluroescent Lamp - self ballasted fluro lamp that has a standard E27 Edison Screw or B22 Bayonet fitting on it to plug into a light socket. Could plug into a festoon, depending on if it actually fits, the collars on some festoon are quite high, might foul on the ballast on the lamp.

http://www.howardcountymd.gov/uploadedImages/Home/Environment/Environmental_Services/CFL%20bulb.jpg

Also available looking a bit more like a standard lamp:

http://ayyati.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/CFL_bulbs.jpg

Take given wattage and multiply by 5 to give an approx equivalent to an incandescent regular lamp.

couple of extra issues for you to consider:

> paper lanterns are rather fragile - they're almost certain to rip after a few times of putting them up/down- so make sure you've got plenty spares and have a solid case to transport them in

> they're also designed to be fitted onto a vertically hanging cable - which you won't get with a festoon. Using them on a festoon is possible but you'll have no way of ensuring the lamp sits centrally in the lantern as the distance is set by the physical size of lamp holder without option to adjust it.

> you'll have to utilise a method for securing them to the festoon cable otherwise they may fall off if shaken around a bit - again because they're designed be captive on a vertical cable. With a festoon all you have is a horizontal cable so the best you'll have is a small open wire hook over the top.

The other problem with paper lanterns is that they are not fire retardent so many stages wouldn't allow them (certainly my theatre wouldn't) but the nylon ones look very similar, don't burst into flames if they get hot and don't get ripped nearly as easily. We used a load of them for Aladdin a few years ago and they worked a treat.

Wow, some great replies there guys!

Looks like Nylon is the way forward yeah :-)

How easy or difficuly would it be to make something like this up with a slight 'hang' on each fitting?

Anyone done anything similar?

Cheers, B.

Hopingh that you can bet a bar down, try the masterplug extension lead http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/cable-reels-extension-leads/extension_leads___adaptors/-specificproducttype-outdoor/Masterplug-Heavy-Duty-Extension-Lead-with-5-Spaced-Sockets-15m-CT1513P-5-MS-10549107?skuId=11039639 from B&Q there are five spaced 13A sockets.

Then make assorted lengths of pendant wire to a BC or ES holder and fit a low energy lamp.

Alternatively take a Lewden T-line connector and fix a cable and pendant light fitting for your choice of lamp.

Low energy lamps are available up to 35watts which is very bright. None of them dim well.

can you still get those baynet holder cable adaptor thingys? if so a festoon straped to a fly bar,and plug the drops in werever you want them

Do mean a plug that looks like the base of a lamp, to which you can then wire a tail of any length

EDIT : As in the plug in photo 3 here http://www.fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/OldBritish4.html ?

I have one or two of 60's vintage in my stock, but I've found them impossible to buy recently.

Archived