Edwardian camera flash

amdram

Hi all,

I have been asked by my director to find a way of replicating the old-fashioned magnesium powder in a tray type of camera flash, i.e. it needs to be hand-held and emit a flash and a puff of smoke. Just to make it more challenging, it needs to fire 3 times during the scene.

Does anyone know of a safe way of doing this?

Amdram

I built a single flash version for our production of "Uncle Vanya" that was based around a Theatrical Pyrotechnics Micro flash pot. Obviously being pyro it may not be entirely suitable for you, but if you're interested I could dig out the details for you. It'd be easy enough to expand the capacity to three shots if required.

I built a similar one while at college for Half a Sixpence using Flash paper and a standard cigarette lighter, not even sure if you can still get the flash paper though.

For each flash the actor replaced the paper and off you went

I built a similar one while at college for Half a Sixpence using Flash paper and a standard cigarette lighter, not even sure if you can still get the flash paper though.

For each flash the actor replaced the paper and off you went

Unless something has changed I am sure you still can. Flash guns etc need it .. you could also use flash cotton.

Hi all,

I have been asked by my director to find a way of replicating the old-fashioned magnesium powder in a tray type of camera flash, i.e. it needs to be hand-held and emit a flash and a puff of smoke. Just to make it more challenging, it needs to fire 3 times during the scene.

Does anyone know of a safe way of doing this?

Amdram

Le Maitre robotics? Flash, shower of sparks and some smoke.

That said, flash paper is more like the effect you're after, really.

... And flash paper definitely isn't what you want, it's a yellow smokeless flame and (despite its name) relatively "slow" as a flashes go. The effect could be created with a mix of flash cotton as a base and various additives (sold by pyro companies for hand-held flash devices) BUT this is not something you want to learn "on the job" and because you are playing with various explosives and chemicals there's plenty of paperwork and legal implications.

The only practical way to get that pyro type flash is with one of the ready-made "mini" pyros already discussed as this is the least-paperwork-and-hassle solution but still by no means simple to do

I had to do this exact effect for a show a couple of years ago.

I did it with 3 Hand Held Electronic Flash Guns built into a housing made to resemble the camera flash you are looking for.

I used a small ball of flash cotton with a small ball of flash paper on top. The idea is when you press the button the cotton lights which creates the heat to light the paper and the smoke, then the paper provides a more obvious flash as it lasts slightly longer..

The cotton and paper are approx £5 per pack and the flash guns are around £30 from memory.

All the products are made by and can be purchased through Showbitz - http://www.showbitz.co.uk/

Flash Gun - http://www.lemaitre.co.uk/productInformation.aspx?UKeyCategory=12&UKeyProduct=63

Flash Paper & Cotton - http://www.lemaitre.co.uk/productInformation.aspx?UKeyCategory=12&UKeyProduct=66

Have a look and let us know how you get on!

Showbitz

• 3 weeks later...

I have also seen it done at our local am-dram group with a suitable handheld deivice with a stuiable stage pyro in. Dont know which pyro was used but it was a good match, I think that was set up with two holders and buttons, with the pyros being replaced for futher 'shots' taken but you might be able to get three in, beyond which its going to start getting a bit silly.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

As the OP, I thought I'd report back on what we ended up doing, just in case anyone else might need the same effect.

We ended up hiring David Fitch's Type 229 camera. It is a genuine old camera which has been gutted to take the battery and firing button and has a 3-pin XLR connection to the flash holder which can take up to 6 flashes. It uses micro flash pots.

To fire it, you turn a key on the back of the camera then press the red button, also on the back of the camera. To fire the next flash, you turn a knob on the flash holder one click then repeat the process.

Very simple and worked every time for 8 shows, 3 flashes per show.

The hire charge was very reasonable, it's the cost of the pyros that adds up (£5 a shot).

Amdram

Archived