LED florrie tube substitutes

gareth

'Ey up.

Got a show coming up in the autumn which needs a quantity of dimmable 4-ft fluorescent fittings. A web search or two has revealed that various manufacturers are now doing a rather nice line in LED-powered substitute tubes for florrie fittings - but as yet, I haven't found one that's dimmable. Anyone know of a company doing a dimmable version?

You could simulate it by backlighting a real tube with white led tape... that is dimmable. Looks realistic but not as bright as a real tube.... can be an advantage for a prop.

Needs to have a similar light output to a standard T8 4-ft tube, so that wouldn't be anywhere near bright enough.

I recently did a show where the theatre had 4 lengths of LED pipe running around the whole auditorium.

It was around the same diameter as a florrie tube too.

Im not sure who they were made by and at what length you can cut them too but they certainly had the same output if not more than a standard 4ft florrie.

Will try to find out who they are made by in the morning.

Michael

The Sparks ones are a possibility, I just need to make sure they're suitable for building into a prop shell to make them look like a commercial fitting.

It would be a five-week hire, though, and once we also factor in the cost of getting them to north Wales and back it might be more cost-effective to buy some 4-ft fittings and some dimmable ballast. (Anyone got a good source of said ballasts, by the way?)

I'm not sure I'd recommend the LED replacements for fluorescent tubes at all. They tend to have very directional output and are rather dull compared to a traditional fluorescent tube. (Ignore the LED salesmans claims!)

I'm also a bit wary of the fact that many of these LED retrofit tubes require shunting out of the ballast in the fitting, thus opening up the possibility of a traditional tube being put back in and failing dramatically.

I think in the same situation I'd be inclined to go with standard fluorescent tubes on a dimmable ballast system. But keep in mind that they don't dim with a smooth curve. They tend to light and extinguish suddenly at the lower end of the scale.

... it might be more cost-effective to buy some 4-ft fittings and some dimmable ballast.

Thats what I do, and just put the cost of the fitting onto the production.

Anyone got a good source of said ballasts, by the way?

If you don't get a PM from another Blue Roomer "soon" bug me, and I'll pass you the details of a man who has a few, who even shipped a couple out to NZ for me.

If you don't get a PM from another Blue Roomer "soon" bug me, and I'll pass you the details of a man who has a few, who even shipped a couple out to NZ for me.

I've got a quantity of VIP-90 ballasts that I could happily be persuaded to part with :) Price is dependent on quantity and obviously shipping at cost, but if anyone is interested then feel free to drop me a PM and we can see what can be arranged.

Glyn

• 1 month later...
Well ... we didn't go LED in the end - Glyn sold me some of his surplus stock of VIP-90 ballasts and I converted 14 florries to dimmable. They were actually a nice easy conversion - I wired the lot in 6-core cable, commoning the neutrals and earths at the fitting and bringing the two lives out to separate plugs (16A for heater, 15A for lamp power). They work very well indeed - but they did give me a bit of grief today with the amount of earth leakage we're getting on the heater feeds - after trying them on our DMX non-dims and switched hard power, both of which have RCDs protecting them, I ended up having to move them onto regular dimmers due to the amount of nuisance tripping that I was getting. Even then, I found that they were very picky as to what sort of dimmers I ran the heater circuit from - we have a mix of STM and Permus dimmers, and while they're fine on the STMs, they don't like the Permus cards at all. Anyway, all sorted now!

The rcd tripping could have been due to you commoning the neutrals. RCDs are looking for current going out on the live and not returning on the neutral. Communing the neutrals means current could return down either neutral path, hence upsetting the RCDs.

Yep, that's the reason for the RCDs tripping.

And, of course, what we have here is a series of widow-makers... Not to mention the potential problem of phase ugliness...

The underlying annoying problem is that there isn't an electrically nice connection method realistically possible. I've resurected an old Pulsar (non-DMX - sulk) three channel dimmer into use for fluoro practicals, which when three is the magic number it's just fine. It has a Bulgin eight pin disco socket on it, so a bit of hot ridding (which turned into a minor drama, but never mind that) to get permanent live and the three dimmed feeds onto it and it all works a treat, using disco plugs. But I would like to use something a tad more professional that doesn't cost a firstborn per connector...

Another convert to dimmed flouros - yay!

Archived