Stage curtains - electric or manual?

howartp

Watch the speed spec - Paisley Town Hall have a lovely electric track - the close at the same speed as the ones at the local crematorium - from open to close in about a min - kack all use for a dance show

Local authority procurement - they're probably the same spec on the same contract.

Now if someone swapped the music modules ...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After some thought - I was indeed suggesting that a power system is the way to go - but of course it won't be cheap. My point is simply the effort required to open the curtains at a reasonable speed could be excessive - and could be considered something that should be automated. I'm happy to concede the potential for breakdown, plus the extra service costs - but are we not supposed to be reducing the need for manual handling.?

Just a thought - 21m does seem an almost European Opera House style size - is the OP sure the opening really is 21 metres - that means a HUGE space?

...is the OP sure the opening really is 21 metres - that means a HUGE space?

21m x 7m. Sounds about right for a typical school hall. Too wide and not tall enough.

Correct :) Although it's much better than the old hall and I think it will work well.

Peter

Does the 60 foot curtain need to open all the way? I'm still thinking about the 150 feet of wire going around it being difficult to wind. The Royal Opera House is only 45ft wide! - so yours is huge - and cost a huge amount of money - with that sort of investment in material they're also so big as to make cleaning really difficult too. If it doesn't need to open all the way, maybe the opening sections could be hand winched and the rest just static fillers?

Does the 60 foot curtain need to open all the way? I'm still thinking about the 150 feet of wire going around it being difficult to wind. The Royal Opera House is only 45ft wide! - so yours is huge - and cost a huge amount of money - with that sort of investment in material they're also so big as to make cleaning really difficult too. If it doesn't need to open all the way, maybe the opening sections could be hand winched and the rest just static fillers?

Unfortunately yes - when it's not a stage, it's an exam room for which we need everything out of the way.

Peter

There could be a hand cranked section for the stage area, and the rest could be unroped and drawn out the way by hand when not in use.

Simplicity is always the best option.

He's right, especially in schools. I had an electrically operated backout blind in the main studio and after it broke down three times I took the fuses out and left it shut!

Watch the speed spec - Paisley Town Hall have a lovely electric track - the close at the same speed as the ones at the local crematorium - from open to close in about a min - kack all use for a dance show

S

I'd second that it is awful, and looks really unprofessional the speed the Paisley Town Hall curtains move at!! I've tried to do the YF Talent Spot there and we've had to re-write scene endings to fit in with the curtains- which isn't really how it should work!!

Does the 60 foot curtain .....

Actually 21m is pretty darned SEVENTY feet.

And I was going to compare that to the less than 13m (42ft) Hippodrome.

That is a HUGE curtain!!

Another vote for splitting that down into at LEAST a separate section either side on a different winch to the main tabs.

With the size of the stage, I would go for electric winch. The number of times I've been called out to schools where they have a manual winch and the kids have managed to pull the line off the drum...

The modern Hall Stage motors are quiet and you can change the speed at just the twist of a control.

Yes, you will need to have it serviced regularly. Once a year will be fine.

Yes, the electric winch IS expensive but if the powers that be in the ivory tower want to spend, let them! If you put a manual winch in now and later decide that you need an electric one, It will be much harder to convince them to spend.

RH

If you do go electric, DEFINATELY get a lockable switch, also bear in mind you will have to get a suitable 3-phase power supply installed for the motors, this will add to the price, any quote you get should include this.

Whilst industrial motors are commonly 3-phase, single phase motors are readily available for buildings which do not have a three phase supply.

It is likely that this venue is part of a larger site, that will undoubtably have a three phase supply.

A three phase motor, likely powered through an inverter for speed control, would be the right thing here due to the relative ease of reversing the direction via a L2/L3 phase swap. Single phase motors require more complicated control gear to run CW and CCW.

Archived