Stage curtains - electric or manual?

howartp

Did a personal reply last night when I got in, but David said pretty well what I did. We tend to only close a topic if it's pointless, or was a specific single question that was sorted - but very often ancient topics get resurrected when they contain useful info - although we get very miffed when people dredge them up to add spam - as sadly often happens when people have a product to push. This one has been quite interesting - from my own perspective, I don't think any of us have experienced a drape length as big as this before. What made me think was remembering the story about when the first automated flying systems were designed, they measured the speed a flyman typically pulled out a bar, but forgot that the theatre the automated one was going into was twice as big, so when they pressed the button it took twice as long for the cloth to go out, because the distance was greater but the bar speed was the same. In a big, tall venue, flybars travel faster - it occurred to me the same thing would happen width wise too, and made me imagine some poor person with arms flailing about like a windmill trying to wind the handle like an aeroplane propeller!

It's a cheek - but if at some point you get the thing in and working - could you perhaps take a bit of video? this would really help us see how the end product works and be very handy for the future.

Thanks Paul; definitely happy to put together video and piccies of the venue.

Peter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived