New Lighting Console

kittyb

I am looking to replace a Zero 88 Leap Frog and Jester within a school. The Frog is in control of what is your average school hall, which has some Mac 250s and 300s and some LED pars. The Jester is used in a smaller studio space. It looks like one desk could be used for both places, as they are rarely used at the same time, probably as I can't be in both places at the same time. So I am looking for something fairly small (can easily be moved form place to place), easy to use for staff and students and not stupidly expensive. I have good working knowledge of ETCs and Strands, which I very much like, can't stand Zero 88 stuff, but are there other options I should conisder? Thanks for your imput.

So whats wrong with your current desks? If they work and do everything you need then why replace them? Getting a new desk just because you prefer a different make/model might not be a good enough reason for those who control the purse strings. Of course if the school themselves have asked you to look at alternative desks then I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions and recommendations as to which desk you should get.

My main problem is that when I am not about, teaching staff really struggle with the desks (perhaps they should be sent on a training course!), as well as the pupils. I dislike the fact there isn't a keypad. Basically, I don't have the time to teach people on how to use the desks. In other places I have worked other makes of desk seem to be more user friendly.

Hi Kitty,

Would be interested in why you don't get on with the Zero 88 consoles - we take all feedback very seriously?

My Head of Department has asked me to replace the desks for something easier to use for staff and students, as a techncian is not always available and this has caused problems with regards to GCSE exams and visting companies. Probably could do with something that fits nicely into a flight case to stop little fingers causing havoc!

So whats wrong with your current desks? If they work and do everything you need then why replace them? Getting a new desk just because you prefer a different make/model might not be a good enough reason for those who control the purse strings. Of course if the school themselves have asked you to look at alternative desks then I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions and recommendations as to which desk you should get.

My main problem is that when I am not about, teaching staff really struggle with the desks (perhaps they should be sent on a training course!), as well as the pupils. I dislike the fact there isn't a keypad. Basically, I don't have the time to teach people on how to use the desks. In other places I have worked other makes of desk seem to be more user friendly.

Hi Kitty,

Several of our desks *do* have keypad entry. The Jester TL Xtra and Solution Series both have simple Syntax Entry, and the ORB Series has advanced Syntax / Command Line. It's just that the consoles you have are fader-per-channel entry.

There are a lot of training possibilities we can help you with too. We can arrange a completely free days's training here in our factory. We often have schools bringing Teaching Staff and groups of students to our Demo and Training Room, which is fitted with Moving Lights, LEDs, Video Matrix etc (we'll provide lunch too!).

We can also arrange a training session in your school, however there would be a small charge to cover our expenses etc.

We'd love to help - please let me know if there's anything I can do.

A Jester is maybe the MOST user friendy desk I have used and only a digital version of an analogue A/B preset.

If they cannot use it I would really say the tutors should sit down with yourself for not even an hour and go through the A/B preset mode and the programme mode, if they cannot do it then... well. + you will save the school at least a grand.

Maybe keep a crib sheet attached to the desk as well ?

The frogs I have no idea, but from what I have heard they are very simple as well.

+ who comes in and uses the desk? if the school is going to have some external theatre companies come in maybe they should employ someone to be there when needed

You won't find many desks that are easier to use or more user-friendly than the basic Jesters.

Also, whilst you, as an experienced user of lighting desks, find key pad entry easy it is possible that all those extra buttons will intimidate an inexperienced user. Who is going to be using the desk the most?

The zero88 desks in my oppinon are best for schools as they are simple to use! In my old high school we had a strand 200 (I think) and it was the worst desk I have ever came across! Totally not user friendly.

The problem is the community groups don't wish to pay extra to have a technician present.

A Jester is maybe the MOST user friendy desk I have used and only a digital version of an analogue A/B preset.

If they cannot use it I would really say the tutors should sit down with yourself for not even an hour and go through the A/B preset mode and the programme mode, if they cannot do it then... well. + you will save the school at least a grand.

Maybe keep a crib sheet attached to the desk as well ?

The frogs I have no idea, but from what I have heard they are very simple as well.

+ who comes in and uses the desk? if the school is going to have some external theatre companies come in maybe they should employ someone to be there when needed

The problem is the community groups don't wish to pay extra to have a technician present.

Do these community groups want full control over the lighting, or are they generally happy with a few different 'looks'? If the Jester was programmed up with 12 different 'default' submasters it really couldn't be any easier for them just to push up one of the 12 bottom faders.

'lo,

what about looking at a DMX recorder / playback unit instead of a new desk? This way you can have some presets which can be recalled easily by some one without having to train them. You could also set channel limits say 80% which would increase the lamp life. The users then would get standard lighting states.

These units could be located onstage or in the auditorium for ease of access

Subject to the type of dimmers you have preset push button controls could be added without too much hassle. Zero88, ETC, LSC dimmers offer this option and I am sure other manufacturers may also have this facility

There is an economical point to this as just letting people power up the whole rig is costly in power and lamp life

Currently if an inexperienced person operates the lights what is to stop them bringing up a lamp which is missed focused or next to material that could possibly cause a fire? Also people could wipe any shows or memories from your desk

Im smack in the middle of this.

I have two local ameture groups with jesters. I really dont like using them because of the dimming pattern and mode operation but with one fader being one channel I find I can teach these to non/low tech people easier then others. I have tried teaching strand and people new to the world the syntax so that they get it right without getting in a flap is slightly more difficult then you expect.

Hold some taster sessions, if your boss is game for replacing the desks then rent a strand300 and an avo tiger touch for a few days. Give a variety of people a go and see what one people react to. Im doing this with a local school for sound desks soon as their unsure as to if they want to go digital to teach the kids or analogue for ease.

Good luck

P.S. Jon Hole has hit the nail on the head for what I would do. A few looks set up already, when they come in they can always a work on different show but if you always revert back to 12 preset looks you can leave the desk marked and save alot of brain ache.

Hi Kitty. I work within a school and I use both the Jester and the Frog desk. They are both brilliant desks to use and are used within a small drama studio/hall as well as being used with moving lights if need be. WIthin a school enviroment, I feel that the Zero88 range is brilliant and easy to both use as well as teach yourself to use. The thing is that if it isn't broken, why fix it. If you're looking in the school to expand your range, I would say look into using the ORB dependant on how much the desk is actually used. If you are wanting to "upgrade your Frog" there is the Solution which was described by a friend as an older frog in a box. I met Jon at PLASA Focus last year and his product knowledge was great and was helpful. It's worth, if you're looking to change your lighting desks within the near future to head to PLASA. There is loads there but to be honest, you will most likely find that the Zero88 range is the best one for schools use.

Archived