Inserts cables is just muting channel

MisterJames

If it's a cheap cable the tip and ring of the 1/4 inch could be the wrong way round for the XLRs. Happened many times to me.

Generally it sounds like there's a problem with the return signal path which should come back on the right channel (ring) of the cable from the eq.

Luke

EDIT: Curses to you quick typing people. ^^

Disconnect the graphic end of the insert lead and connect the male and female XLR together - if the desk channel works, then at least the cable is working. As the previous posters suggest, it is then likely to be tip and ring connections reversed. I take it it is a 3 pole jack plug...?

On the same theme, it may not be the cable that is wired 'incorrectly' but rather the mixing desk being one that is wired differently and using a 'ring-send' variant. This will therefore need an insert cable wired this way or (as p.k.roberts suggested) use XLR gender changers to achieve the same. The Soundcraft K-series desks had this lovely feature.

Another thing to check is that the mixer is not one that uses a fully balanced insert system, with separate send and received jacks. If so, an unbalance insert cable will not work.

Steve

Yeah 3 pin XLR to stereo jack... is it better to use stereo jack to x2 mono jack????

If you use a 3 pole jack to two 2 pole jack lead, then if the desk doesn't use the semi standard "tip-send, ring-return" wiring, at least it's just a case of swapping the input and output jack over on the effects device...

OK Just checking... the GEQ has an insert socket too yes? You're not doing something silly like plugging the insert on the desk into just an input or an output on the GEQ?

Question 2... is there a mute button on the GEQ? On more than one occasion I've started trouble shooting which cable doesn't work before realising that something has it's Mute button switched on.

I've never used a insert connection that had a 3 pin XLR for in and out? The female into the EQ leaves the other XLR unconnected? the two unbalanced jacks for the in and out on the eq, and the 3 circuit TRS jack for the desk insert socket is the usual connection - you could wire it to two XLRs (wired unbalanced) but if the EQ has jacks, then an off the peg simple insert cable does the job.

OK Just checking... the GEQ has an insert socket too yes? You're not doing something silly like plugging the insert on the desk into just an input or an output on the GEQ?

Question 2... is there a mute button on the GEQ? On more than one occasion I've started trouble shooting which cable doesn't work before realising that something has it's Mute button switched on.

Checking that the GEQ gain isn't pulled down is sensible idea. However, I have not come across a graphic wired with any form of insert? How else would you wire it up if not via the GEQ's normal input and output connectors?

Checking that the GEQ gain isn't pulled down is sensible idea. However, I have not come across a graphic wired with any form of insert? How else would you wire it up if not via the GEQ's normal input and output connectors?

In the same way that a mixer has a socket for insert (where one half of the socket is in, and one half is out), some outboard also features insert sockets so you can wire it in on a single cable.

After all, there is bugger all use in using balanced input and output connectors if you are using the unbalanced send/return on the desk. So using insert sockets on the outboard just reduces cable mess. Also means if you have a balanced patchbay you can plug outboard into desk channels using 1 patch cable. So it can be useful.

Archived