Inserts cables is just muting channel

MisterJames

some outboard also features insert sockets so you can wire it in on a single cable.

OK - I haven't come across it, but then again my exposure has been mainly to Drawmer, KT, Yamaha etc., who don't seem to have insert points. I have included them on my own FX rack patch panels before using multipins to do the job.

Is B-G maybe referring to the sidechain function on a compressor, which usually presents as a TRS 1/4" jack?

No, he isn't. He's thinking of combining and in and an out onto 1 socket in the same way as you do on an insert. You wouldn't have a sidechain on a graphic EQ anyway!!!

I haven't seen it on high end stuff - Drawmer, KT, BSS Opal, etc... most of these are designed either for studio or high end live use - where in either case the inserts will be balanced (on separate sockets). But on many lower end products, I have seen it. I used to use a system with a Phonic GEQ and an Alesis GEQ which both featured an insert socket on the back.

Think about the logic... why not? If you can have an insert on a desk why can't you have it on an EQ? It's exactly the same wiring and makes sense on cutting down cable; and on 1U rack EQs it also saves on panel space. That's also another place I've seen it, on those small half-unit processors. We have an old FMR RNC compressor which has an 'insert' I/O, although now the unit features balanced ins and outs.

On the same theme, it may not be the cable that is wired 'incorrectly' but rather the mixing desk being one that is wired differently and using a 'ring-send' variant. This will therefore need an insert cable wired this way or (as p.k.roberts suggested) use XLR gender changers to achieve the same. The Soundcraft K-series desks had this lovely feature.

Steve

Ahh That reminds me of a fantastic day I spent making loads of insert cables for a K series only to realise every one was the wrong way round DOH!!!

The topic seems to slid off a little :** laughs out loud **:

The OP needs to confirm the cable he's using and the EQ.

Is it a single 3pin Jack to single 3pin XLR (M or F)?

Or is it the more usual single 3pin Jack to 1 Male XLR and 1 Female XLR?

My guess is either the wrong cable for the job, or the ins and outs need swapping.

Heading back off a little..... ;)

Curious how the majority of outboard has balanced connections, unless it's used as an insert... :blink:

How come inserts are never balanced? Is it simply that it's rare for the cable runs to be long?

It depends on the desk whether or not the inserts are balanced. Some desk just use a single jack for both send and return, whereas others such as the Allen & Heath GL4000 (just a desk I know well rather than a prime example) and some (maybe all I don't know) Midas' use a separate jack for send and return. With both of these desks the leads used were 3 pole jack to XLR (one of each gender).

I apologise in my late reply... Its interesting reading through tho... Lucky for me iut was a case of Gender changers fixed my problems!

Im using school equipment: Behringer XL2400 (a very nice and powerful desk for the price actually)

Behringer Graphic EQ 31 Band.

Im guessing its easier to use Jack cables as you can quickly swap the inputs where as with XLR you need gender changers.

Also confirm for me AUX out - Is it okay to use a Mono jack? or does it have to be stereo? Its also mono and stereo that I cant figure out when its required?

Thank you all for your prompt replies and again due to the show I was unable to reply!

IAlso confirm for me AUX out - Is it okay to use a Mono jack? or does it have to be stereo? Its also mono and stereo that I cant figure out when its required?

Each AUX is mono, but you could use two together if you want stereo. But I suspect that's not what you're really asking ;)

By the looks of it, 4 of the desk's AUX outputs are balanced XLR & the other two are balanced Jack. This may be worth reading - BR Wiki.

Unless the thing that you're plugging the AUXs into is unbalanced, then it's better to use balanced leads - over long distances this becomes more important for reducing unwanted noise.

Archived