De-mountable staging

c.cam108

I am looking into some portable/de-mountable staging for the church and have come across this: http://www.aalborgdk.com/70/Components/ it looks like it ticks all our boxes and I saw it demonstrated last summer at a show.

Has anyone any experience with it? Or can anyone recommend any alternatives? We cannot consider the usual fixed-frame stage you normally see in schools due to storage, as it would need to be able to be stored under the existing stage in the crawl space. This is why the Aalborg staging appealed to us so much.

Colin C

Hi there!

There seems to be 'lots of bits' to that system... how much deck do you need?

Why not look at the Prolyte deck system. It still can be broken down and stored and the legs come off! have a look at their website.

Live Systems and Blacklight sell it in Edinburgh. It's very quick to put up and take down.

Over your way is FMX stage hire on the Fenwick by Pass pop over and have a look.

Regards

Josh: have requested their free demo kit to check it out. Seems a little pricy though at first look.

LampTramp: are you talking about StageDex? http://www.prolyte.com/stagedex/decks will look into that.

I'm starting to lean away from Aalborg due to the size of the decks. The main use will be choir risers, so 50cm/2ft boards would be better. The width is 9.3m (30ft) and we'll be getting 3 or 4 tiers depending on depth.

How about just plain steeldeck or litedeck? They are both available in 8x2 or 6x2.

Loading is minimal, so it all comes down to price really.

There seems to be 'lots of bits' to that system...

I'm tempted to agree. At least with steeldeck, metrodeck, topdeck, prolyte etc. the only things that can get lost are legs and joiners, which are reasonably easy to get hold of if you need replacements in a hurry.

Smaller decks are easier to move, but take longer to assemble since there are more pieces to put together and more joiners required.

Before making any decisions, I would check what types and brands rental companies around you are carrying.

Simply because there will be a day that you need an extra couple of pieces for a one-off event.

It helps if it all works together then.

How about just plain steeldeck or litedeck? They are both available in 8x2 or 6x2.

but you said "We cannot consider the usual fixed-frame stage you normally see in schools due to storage, as it would need to be able to be stored under the existing stage in the crawl space."

That is quite a bit of space and in a small space is not going to be easy to move.

If it is mainly choir risers then there are loads of choices most of which are portable and can be transported with ease. Google choir risers for sale and even Maltbury appears.

Most of the Welsh choirs have their own portable risers so they always know what they are dealing with on tour.

but you said "We cannot consider the usual fixed-frame stage you normally see in schools due to storage, as it would need to be able to be stored under the existing stage in the crawl space."

That is quite a bit of space and in a small space is not going to be easy to move.

There is a large storage cupboard elsewhere in the church downstairs so it could be stored there, but would need a lot of rearranging of stuff.

When I said fixed-frame stage I meant these: http://www.unistage.co.uk/products/education-products.html as there's nowhere a trolley could wheel away to.

If it is mainly choir risers then there are loads of choices most of which are portable and can be transported with ease. Google choir risers for sale and even Maltbury appears.

Most of the Welsh choirs have their own portable risers so they always know what they are dealing with on tour.

We don't want to go for dedicated choir risers to keep our options open for use elsewhere. Individual decks can be made into a flat platform with different length legs.

I might be missing the mark, but if we are talking of stage decks that just use scaff legs, you can get wheels with short pegs that will fit into the holes, to allow one deck to sit slightly off the ground, and the others to sit on top - this way instead of using a trolley which takes up valuable space, the decks are fairly compactly stored.

David

A +1 to the Revostage. I currently own a few sections of a identical staging system, and its nice a light weight, and very portable. Road Ready do intellistage which is identical. (Mine is from a local supplier and is called Concentina, but all the same stuff)

It packs away into almost nothing, as the decks are only 1" thick, and then the risers fold into tiny 10cmx10cm long bundles of tubes http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Indeed, Revostage is very common in Plymouth and I've used it on a few shows. One thing I like about it is that it is supported not just from the edges but from all over. This makes it feel (to me anyway) much more stable and feels less likely to resonate like steel/lite deck.

Josh

Archived