XFactor Technical Difficulties

smalljoshua

Possibly a symptom of the "immediacy" of life in the digital age where some unknown farts and the entire planet has to know in seconds? I think we have finally defined the banality of evil with the invention of Twitter.

It has got so they have these celebrity programmes and I have never heard of or seen any of them and in two weeks they will be back on the till at Aldi. Where they belong!

X Factor blackout? Encore! Bravo! Author, author!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anyone wants to do a bit of research into where BTs pain radio comms paths are - do a little research on the cold war period, and an infrastructure called backbone - those weirdly shaped lattice towers all over the country are still in use as they provide point to point coverage - the links to all the military and civil defence sites can be ignored, but you can easily plot the routing between the big cities. The design philosophy of the system was to be nuke proof, and it worked, so was a nice convenient method for BT to provide point to point links for more peaceful purposes.

You might not like it, but it pays quite a lot of people in our industry's mortgages... Biting the hand that feeds, especially in public, ain't good.

Actually, with my cynic's head on, I'd say that courting controversy is EXACTLY what Syco et al are aiming for. It wouldn't surprise me if a goodly number of 'furious fans' might well be Syco plants stirring the melee, feeding the trolls as it were. I do believe the suggestions that the cantankerousness (?) of the judging panel waxes and wanes with the viewing figures!

To the unwashed masses the likes of X Factor is entertainment, and when they get to moan about it, many of them are never happier! I try not to enter into the endless Facespace comments and discussions about who maybe should or shouldn't have been fired (though getting rid of the obnoxious teenager Frankie this week was well past time - only saw him twice and the boy just can't sing!!).

But there you go - even now, I'm starting to sound as though I'm a fan of the show...!

Oh dear.

Oh VERY dear!!!

My myfacespacetwitbook was full with people moaning!! Who cares?

Sometimes the bus into town breaks down, and ten minutes later there is a replacement there, sometimes you drive to the fuel station, and they have ran out, etc etc etc!

Nothing on this earth can run perfectly all the time, sometimes the birds get confused which way to fly at winter!! Do we see anyone online moaning about any of that? Of course not, but watching mediocre vocalists on a Saturday seems to be a live or die situation to some people! Get a grip!

<polite cough>

You might not like it, but it pays quite a lot of people in our industry's mortgages... Biting the hand that feeds, especially in public, ain't good.

Oh, I know - I've worked on a couple of bits of sh!te telly in my time - just because it paid me a living, that doesn't mean I have to like it, or waive my right to express an opinion on it ;).

Oh, I know - I've worked on a couple of bits of sh!te telly in my time - just because it paid me a living, that doesn't mean I have to like it, or waive my right to express an opinion on it ;).

Certainly true. Indeed, it's a lucky chap (or chappess) who only ever works on shows that they love and admire. I was just amused, since this forum is the first to jump on the next generation for making "less-than-discreet" comments.

Hi scjb, so half a dozen techs working on a 6 million viewer show is good employment? I'd rather 60,000 live shows of 1000 seats employing however many techs required.

Better still 1000 U2 gigs where hundreds of techs, drivers, caterers, riggers, local crew, LD's, vidiots etc are at work.

Hi scjb, so half a dozen techs working on a 6 million viewer show is good employment? I'd rather 60,000 live shows of 1000 seats employing however many techs required.

Better still 1000 U2 gigs where hundreds of techs, drivers, caterers, riggers, local crew, LD's, vidiots etc are at work.

At the end of the day XFactor has just as much a place in our industry as any other event, I for one think that from a production standpoint they pull off some pretty good live music television each week and I respect any engineer who works on it or any other event for that matter.

But it is nice to know that no matter how big or well funded your event is, that power is one of those things that is always ready to bite you! Its the one mighty common denominator in production and sometimes it just doesnt do what we want it to :D

I was just amused, since this forum is the first to jump on the next generation for making "less-than-discreet" comments.

I'm starting to wonder whether discretion and tact could be plotted against age as a bell curve, with "youth" at one end and "grumpy middle age" somewhere towards the other. I think I'm now definitely on my way down the slope on the right-hand side of the curve .... :** laughs out loud **:

Archived