XFactor Technical Difficulties

smalljoshua

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'm now definitely on my way down the slope on the right-hand side of the curve .... :** laughs out loud **:

There are times when I reckon I'm nearly at the BOTTOM of said curve...........

:huh:

Going back to the first few posts, it was a power issue at BT Tower, not neccessarily a power cut, ie all the lights off etc, but a power issue non thr less.

Fountain Studios near Wembley (Where X Factor is filmed) have a number of fixed HD Video and Audio lines to BT tower, presumably so that the broadcaster (ITV in this case) can then choose how to link it to their network, ie lines to their studio, satellite link etc etc. Obviously whatever power issues they were having at BT Tower affected this link, although you'd think they would have some serious redundancy built into the system!

People online were initially blaming Fountain for the power outage, but giving they have a 1MW backup generator they'd have to be very unlucky to suffer a loss of power.

J

... but giving they have a 1MW backup generator they'd have to be very unlucky to suffer a loss of power.

Show me someone who has a UPS/Generator system and I'll show you someone who has had such a system fail on them.

Going back to the first few posts, it was a power issue at BT Tower, not neccessarily a power cut, ie all the lights off etc, but a power issue non thr less.

Fountain Studios near Wembley (Where X Factor is filmed) have a number of fixed HD Video and Audio lines to BT tower, presumably so that the broadcaster (ITV in this case) can then choose how to link it to their network, ie lines to their studio, satellite link etc etc. Obviously whatever power issues they were having at BT Tower affected this link, although you'd think they would have some serious redundancy built into the system!

People online were initially blaming Fountain for the power outage, but giving they have a 1MW backup generator they'd have to be very unlucky to suffer a loss of power.

J

I seriously think these power issues, that only affected this line and none of the thousand others that run through BT Tower, was caused by someone subtly flicking the off switch just before X Factor going live. This could be the case due to a number or reasons including personal vendetta, or the Producers trying to boost ratings and more.

If there was a true power issue not cause by a human, then I am amazed that it didn't affect any other transmission paths, which also route via BT Tower.

Now THAT had some interesting acts on there, variety instead of just singing. Wasn't there once a guy who used to bang his head against a metal tray in time to music? I think he made a fortune out of it didn't he?

Hmmmm, talent??? :blink:

That would be Bob Blackman singing

Now THAT'S what I call entertainment!

To be pedantic I think he was actually on New Faces, not Opportunity Knocks. He popped up from time to time on Tiswas, too.

I was just amused, since this forum is the first to jump on the next generation for making "less-than-discreet" comments.

I'm starting to wonder whether discretion and tact could be plotted against age as a bell curve, with "youth" at one end and "grumpy middle age" somewhere towards the other. I think I'm now definitely on my way down the slope on the right-hand side of the curve .... :** laughs out loud **:

Embrace it Gareth, embrace it!

I posted earlier in the thread a link to another forum where the guy who was looking after the lines out of Fountain described the problem.

They had:

- Main and backup fibre to BT Tower, then to ITV

- Microwave link to TV Centre, then to BT Tower, then to ITV

- Sat truck uplink for TV3.

By the time they got back on air, they had

- Main and backup fibre to BT Tower, then to ITV (working again)

- Microwave link to TV Centre, then to BT Tower, then to ITV

- Microwave link to TV Centre, then uplinked via satellite to ITV

- Microwave link to TV Centre, then lines to TLS, then to ITV

- Sat truck uplink for TV3, but picked up by ITV

There's further discussion on that thread about the other things which were going on behind the scenes to get pictures back up.

I seriously think these power issues, that only affected this line and none of the thousand others that run through BT Tower, was caused by someone subtly flicking the off switch just before X Factor going live. This could be the case due to a number or reasons including personal vendetta, or the Producers trying to boost ratings and more.

Nonsense. If the former, it could be fixed within a couple of minutes when the phones started ringing. If the latter, there's no need to actually take the lines down, and especially not at a third-party's site. They could have just switched the vision mixer off if they'd wanted to do that.

If there was a true power issue not cause by a human, then I am amazed that it didn't affect any other transmission paths, which also route via BT Tower.

Except it did - numerous other channels were also experiencing problems (all the ITV HD channels for four, and I've heard several of the Disney owned channels were also affected). From the other forum again:

All this while dealing with the fallout of all of the BBC's tower ends having gone black too.

Now THAT had some interesting acts on there, variety instead of just singing. Wasn't there once a guy who used to bang his head against a metal tray in time to music? I think he made a fortune out of it didn't he?

Hmmmm, talent??? :blink:

Whereas Mr Fartypants from my neck of the woods (did I just admit that? :o ) got booted from BGT pretty early on.

However his act has been rather successful for him, just not in front of HRH.

Thankfully. :rolleyes:

Archived