BBC Proms

ddproduction

Argh the year I decide not to watch 'the usual bits' something interesting happens.

I would have thought careless engineering, or is that a bit unfair? It'd depend on how the OB was routed/sourced. Eg. spare mic on new channel not routed to subgroup for OB? By the way I know nothing of how the OB is done hence the stab in the dark.

Well neither do I but I thought it would be simpler to re-route the feed rather than get ANOTHER spare mic? ;)

To me, using my ears and judging by the audience continuing to applaud the conductor's comments, I could hear the sound system in the hall faintly thro another mic and the audience reacting to it as tho they continued to hear fully,...while viewers lost sound from the mic. the sound tech replaced the mic which continued to work thro the hall sound system and which the audience continued toreact to while we at home still heard the mic faintly...a pause then the light dawned perhaps that the problem was with the OB line after the split or that they hadn't lifted the fader on the new mic channel, someone corrected by swapping channels or lifting the fader and hey presto we at home had sound again. Now from my position way down the food chain working amateur local live sound that's how it seemed but others on this board have far more experience than I, added to which I have NO OB experience as others do so maybe someone who saw what happened will give more informed opinion.

In this industry (and most others!) the closer you are to the problem the LESS you should say especially in a public place like a web forum. At most gigs those present are either employees or contractors, and both groups of people will have confidentiality clauses in their engagement paperwork -- so you simply don't say things.

With a major event and a major broadcaster it's likely that there are several fallbacks for the most critical things, maybe only a couple of fallbacks for less critical pieces.

If you haven't had a technical problem then you probably haven't had a long career. HOW you cope is the important aspect!

Archived