wireless speakers

marc

Hey all,

A client of mine has requested that for a new install I use wireless speakers! ;)

I don't know of any professional wireless speakers, I’m sure that I’m wrong, but if you know of any can you let me know,

I also have to make them work with the wireless fire alarm system, a little background on the job might help I guess!

Its a bar install, so I need fairly good quality, and volume, good battery life and an easy charging solution, they need to be wall mounted, and fairly small, gold plated, diamond encrusted, pink with yellow polkerdots, impossible, impractical, and the rest! ;)

I'm not looking too hard as I'm planning to fit baby d&b speakers and use the flat speaker cable that you can wall paper over, which is the only way to fit the system but I need to have explored all the options. :)

Thanks,

marc

Hey all,

A client of mine has requested that for a new install I use wireless speakers!    ;)

Assuming you can get wireless speakers, ask them if you should also be using wireless electricity to power them. ;)

You're going to need a cable of some kind.

Bruce.

I Would Try convince your client to forget about wireless speakers. We tried to use some in our pit to save haven so much cables and for space. Result wast of time! picked up mobile phones lost signal got interference form our two way radios.

Linking them to the fire system would be ok as it would be the transmitter that you would link into the system so it would then cut out the signal, Problem then being the wireless speakers we had when you cut the transmitter out you got a whoring noise through the speakers to you power them off.

In the end we are just using Jbl control 1s in our pit. So you would be better off with hard wired speaker less to go wrong . sure you could get some nice nexo, d&b martin etc speakers that will do the job along with a good amp just have to make sure your cabling is tidy

Barry

Why does it have to be wireless? is it so it's astheticly pleasing?

Of course there is the drastic route of routing out the wall and laying in cables re-plastering, skimming, papering and painting. Quality of normal cable and the price of well a small car I would guess. ;)

Wasn't there a thread about this here recently? Or maybe it was Theatre-Sound. With wireless you will have to investigate battery life, and whether they can be easily removed for charging purposes. If it was my installation I feel I would go for paging-type speakers that have the right tone for the application, or other small speakers running off a 70 / 100v Line system.

Beware the small flat cable because although it is small and visually pleasing it may not be the right wire gauge to run long distances/ 70/100v line. It also is preferable to use twisted-pair speaker cable over long distances, so that it rejects interference (similar principle to balanced mike lines)

If the program material is just speech you will be able to get away with smaller speakers, however if music is involved consider either larger speakers with better bass response, or a subwoofer if practical.

Check out this link for info about 70v lines

Hope this helps in some way

David

ps the Theatre-Sound archives seem to be down at the moment.... anyone know why or is it just me? http://www.brooklyn.com/theatre-sound/index.html

ps the Theatre-Sound archives seem to be down at the moment.... anyone know why or is it just me? http://www.brooklyn.com/theatre-sound/index.html

They seem to be working okay for me here in the UK, I can see the December and October 2004 archive okay.

Odd. Flushed my cache and restarted my browser, but nothing. ;)

Still, if you want to search the archives then you should find the topic, unfortunately I have no idea where it would be... I've been trawling the last 6-odd years at work for the last couple months, but search for wireless speakers and that should do the trick.

I'd like to know why the client spec'd wireless speakers, the few I've seen had a run time less than two hours!! Are they thinking of the speakers staying on during emergencies? In which case wouldn't a central, automatic power back-up to the amp rack be a better solution, and would permit the mid n top amps to stay up while the bass amp ( which eats power and harms speech intelligibility ) can go off in an emergency

Heres my easy way for a wireless Speaker. (Well easyish)

Buy all of this,

2x SCART to 2 Phono Lead.

1x Philips Video Sender

1x 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 phono sockets

1x 3.5mm Stereo plug to 1/4" Jack

How it works

Plug one of the scarts into the transmitter and the phone connections into the amp (If it is an amp with phono connections, Then connect the 2nd scart into the receiver and connect the phono connecters in to the Phono sockets to the jack then 3.5mm Stereo plug to 1/4" Jack. and then Jack to Speakers.

I know its alot of connecttions etc but its what I do at home to get the same music in different rooms. Works really well.

BUT, you need a power supple for the receiver.

Pm Me if you want to know more about my Crazy ways Ha Ha ;) ;)

its a permanent install,

Its a bar, that is listed, and the reason wireless speakers were asked for is because all the walls are an Architectural statement! 197....... something!

So the spec was for no cables what so ever, now I know what I want, and it does not involve wireless speakers, but I thought I would check all the options before getting up on my high horse about why its impossible, only to be shot down by some one asking about something I had not looked at!

I'm planning to do the main speaker runs in std 2.5mm2 cable and use this flat cable for small runs of about a 1m or 2m to get round the ceiling,

thinking d&b E3's at the moment, we will see what happens but I thought I would ask the masses about wireless speakers

thanks for all the responses so far,

marc

Archived