Police truncheons...

Ynot

Anyone have any idea where I might find a source of about 7 or 8 old style wooden police truncheons? Searches so far coming up blank. The local Bobbies have looked around for me, but all of their old baton style crim-hitters were shipped abroad. As the show in question is 80s vintage, the new asps just aren't going to cut it.

I've tried to find a friendly wood turner with the time and a lathe available to make some up for us, but sadly that one's fell on the wayside too.

We did the "Lying Kind" a year or so back. Props lady bought some plastic toy ones from the local seaside novelty shop for pence. They got used again in the recent panto; so they will last longer than a holiday, ** laughs out loud **.

Perhaps if you painted them a duller black it would satisfy the Director for effect value?

Nope - we need them to sound like the real thing as well as look right - they're being banged against each other and against the back of riot shields for effect.

Talked to somewhere like the Royal Armouries? I have absolutely no idea if they'd be able to help you, but I know they have an entire galery devoted to policing. Knowing museums there must be a store room somewhere with tonnes of the things in it.

Wood turner was going to be my suggestion.

What about some broom handle, cut to length, and then attach a rim of modroc or even plasticine around it just above the handle. From memories of my dad's old truncheon (ex West Yorkshire Police) most of the fancy stuff to do with turning was on the handle itself. If they're being held throughout then this won't be seen. You then need to just round the end off, maybe with a bench sander and then some paint and Robert's your father's brother.

Ref the broom handle suggestion...if those were not perhaps the right OD, how about the handles for "agricultural" hoes and rakes? They seem to be about 35mm. Should take a fair bit of...wait for it...stick.

A bit of attention from Props to emulate the lignum vitae look and voila.

I've tried to find a friendly wood turner with the time and a lathe available to make some up for us, but sadly that one's fell on the wayside too.

Thats probably your best (and maybe your only realistic) option. Try and find a woodworking club nearby, or approach a local school.

You can get woodturning lathes that are little more than an electric drill in a stand, so a purchase of such a thing may be cost effective.

Archived