going to uni

Hi im looking at going to uni to study stage management and technical theatre

im looking at:

hull uni

RWCMD ( Royal welsh college of music and drama )

RADA

Rose Bruford

im very persistent of getting BA Hons from the course.

Please advise me on more uni's that there are out there with stage management and technical theatre that has BA Hons

Thanks

Joshua Bell

Moderation: I've moved this to the appropriate forum for your query--the one you posted it in is designed for the organisers of training courses to announce upcoming events. Now, if I may be picky for a moment: if you hope to be accepted for a good university course, I suggest you edit your query to improve the spelling, punctuation and grammar, particularly your use of of upper case letters and apostrophes. Bob/mods

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I last looked, a drama degree at University of Hull was an academic course (albeit with a high practical content), not a vocational course in stage management and / or technical theatre, so not really the same sort of course as the drama schools you mention.

Joshua

Look here the home of the Conference of Drama Schools for a more comprehensive list of all the colleges/unis offering courses along the lines of what you are after.

Not all of them are in the UCAS system so you may miss some via that route. Be aware that they will charge you for your interview so choose carefully as it may cost a small fortune.

David

Royal Welsh charge £26 per interview, and interview about 70 people a year. It's a nice, quick way of making nearly £2,000!

Charge you for an interview? Really? Wow, I wouldn't have thought a college/uni would do that but there again; I am not familiar with how certain institutions work....

Dan

Royal Welsh charge £26 per interview, and interview about 70 people a year. It's a nice, quick way of making nearly £2,000

Would you prefer that the current students fees pay for the interviews of the next cohort? If you are going to run a days interview there will be costs invloved with this even if it is just in staff time.

I'm not complaining! Just stating figures for an institution I know, for the benefit of actually having statistics.

Royal Welsh charge £26 per interview, and interview about 70 people a year. It's a nice, quick way of making nearly £2,000

Would you prefer that the current students fees pay for the interviews of the next cohort? If you are going to run a days interview there will be costs invloved with this even if it is just in staff time.

I'm not complaining! Just stating figures for an institution I know, for the benefit of actually having statistics.

It's offset surely? The current students pay for next year's interviews who pay for the next year's interviews and so on- it's effectively the case that you pay back the money you've spent on your interview the next year.

At the other end of the spectrum, for my interview at Sheffield, we were re-imbursed travel costs and given a free lunch. But it has to be admitted, Sheffield EEE dept is quite rich, being one of the top research universities for EEE and all... :cold:

I think it's more than just covering costs. If you have to pay £27 for each interview, you are not just going to go 'for the hell of it'. It means that the interviewees actually want to be there, instead of just wasting the universities time.

I think it's more than just covering costs. If you have to pay £27 for each interview, you are not just going to go 'for the hell of it'. It means that the interviewees actually want to be there, instead of just wasting the universities time.

agreed. you just have to watch saturday night TV to see how many wannabees there are out there who have little or no talent or likelihood of success. what tedium for the panel to have to sit through all of those....

Universities can use A level grades or predictions to weed out the dross, drama schools and X factor have to find different ways...

Some drama schools 'guarantee' you an interview/audition - well of course they do at £25+ a pop! They try and make it sound like they are doing you an enormous favour. Although £2k sounds quite good income wise for atech course think about the performing courses where there are literally thousands of applicants for about 30 places on most courses. Some of these, by what they put on their websites must be rakeing in about £50k. Multiply that by as many courses as you can think of; Acting, Classical Acting, Musical Theater, Contemporary Performance etc etc and you can see it could make a huge difference to an institutions finances.

Many of the performing types will do the rounds as well so as I said do the research before applying and parting with any cash. You could end up considerably poorer and not get a place before even thinking about Student Loans etc

David

Don't know whether it affects students at the Drama colleges but English students coming to study in Wales had better think twice. Welsh 'domiciled' students and EU visiting students will see no increase in fees when they rise. English 'domiciled' students will face the full force of the possibility of the £9K per annum fees.

The Assembly will subsidise our students and those we have reciprocal arrangements with in Europe but the universities will need to recoup revenue lost by the Whitehall cuts in the case of the English student.

Unfair? Possibly, but you get what you vote for.

English domiciled students will pay (or more accurately, borrow) whatever the Welsh University sets as its fee.

Welsh domiciled students will have the cost of the increase paid for them by the Welsh Assembly.

The Welsh Assembly propose paying for this by "top-slicing the teaching grant for Welsh universities "

Something doesn't quite add up there....

Archived