The paperwork should you bring with a production

torch1972

... the lighting plan, cue list and script was a 5 minute chat over a coffee just before the loaded in.

And I'll bet everyone thinks "What a nice friendly place to tour into; not like that place in the next town who were hassling me for months to send in some paperwork."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is also scale specific.

I work 99% kids shows where I am and if I had someone send MORE than a colour call, focus notes and a plan, (at a push a cue list) then I would be worried about what kind of venues they are going to and why are they here.

Not just kids shows, my venue is light entertainment. We get fairly undemanding and vague riders all the time, and when somebody actually arrives and wants to plot a show, it's actually a change! However - time is the usual clue. If we have a 10am call for a 7.30 show, then despite the lack of paperwork, we're ready, just in case. Make it look nice is a common request from the people who turn up near to showtime.

If people know their production, then they should also know how long things take. Getting a colour call for us means ordering it - we wouldn't have anything subtle in stock at all normally. Again, if a show has plots of specials on the basic rig plans we get, then that's a major task as they probably won't be there at all, entailing rigging and cabling back to the dimmers from scratch.

If people have huge demands and turn up at the last minute, then we'll run out of time - everyone pro or amateur realises that one. If they have arranged to come at 10, we'd plan on them wanting umpteen hours of prep, or why come early.

When we have school or dance shows in, we usually assume there won't actually be much technical to do - but loads of rehearsing.

I must admit my own experience is that paperwork before the event is common, while paperwork on the day is much, much rarer for us.

If they have arranged to come at 10, we'd plan on them wanting umpteen hours of prep, or why come early.

Thats a good point, but it can also be very useful to start early if the touring crew don't pull their fingers out and the get in/fit up takes far longer than it should. We had a show, and I won't say which one, where the touring crew were the laziest I have ever had the misfortune to work with. It was only a simple show and should have taken no more than three hours to get in and set up, yet because of the lack of help from the touring crew it took most of the day.

Regarding tech. riders, or lack thereof, something which is almost as bad as having no rider is having the wrong one! There have been a few instance where a show has asked for a specific rig from us, and yet when they arrive they tell us that either the rig plan has changed during the tour or that the office sent an old plan. Surely its not too much trouble for the touring crew to realise that all the venues they are visiting have the wrong plan and that it might save a lot of hassle if they were to phone ahead and tell people that the plans have changed?

Unless I am expecting the venue board op to op the show, I would never send through a copy of the script or the cue list, and I would never send it through in advance (I would hand it over to the board op on the day maybe)

Quite. Why would anyone other than the DSM need a copy of the script and surely you'd always tour the DSM with you? :rolleyes:

So yesterday I got an email from the management and it seems that any incoming theatre company must provide a script. The reason the theatre company must perform the agreed show and not change the show/ script. e.g. If they say they are performing Hamlet they cannot change it to Mary Poppins and having a copy of their script keeps a check on that.

I was Surpirsed!

So yesterday I got an email from the management and it seems that any incoming theatre company must provide a script. The reason the theatre company must perform the agreed show and not change the show/ script. e.g. If they say they are performing Hamlet they cannot change it to Mary Poppins and having a copy of their script keeps a check on that.

I was Surpirsed!

Interesting! Do we know of any other venue doing this?

My response to that would be... "You know what... No..." ... If they have already taken your deposit, and there is no mention of requiring the script in the hire T&C, you have every right to tell them it is an unreasonable request and outside of the licensing provisions of the script (which it most likely is if you are performing a licensed work). (Obviously this is a discussion to have with the producer before you go and p!ss off the venue)

If you are hiring the venue (and are not a part of their official "season") you are dry hiring the venue and a limited amount of service... if you want to call it Hamlet (script by J. Smith) and sit on stage in your underwear for 2 1/2 hours + intermission, you have every right (baring the nudity issues that may be in the conditions of hire) as you are paying for it. Admittedly, expect to be refunding a lot of tickets and for the theatre to hang you out to dry in the local rag whilst trying to disassociate themselves from the performance... but still.

And if my Jack and the Bean Stalk happens to involve the Wicked Witch of the West turning a magic pumpkin into a carriage so that Jack can take his mother down to the local ASDA, well that is an issue between the rights holder and the producing company. It is not up to the venue to police it - maybe to report it, but not to act as the police on the issue.

My response to that would be... "You know what... No..." ... If they have already taken your deposit, and there is no mention of requiring the script in the hire T&C, you have every right to tell them it is an unreasonable request and outside of the licensing provisions of the script (which it most likely is if you are performing a licensed work). (Obviously this is a discussion to have with the producer before you go and p!ss off the venue)

I am told that in the contract that everyone signs, that if they wish to perform at this venue it says, "they must provide a script".

I have to say I have not heard of this before.

@Torch1972. What is the name of your venue?

They've had this discussion before, it was decided that the name of the venue was not to be released, as 1. To protect the reputation of the venue 2. Also to protect the company or companies that tour to the venue.

They've had this discussion before, it was decided that the name of the venue was not to be released, as 1. To protect the reputation of the venue 2. Also to protect the company or companies that tour to the venue.

Wasn't it decided that it wasn't relevant to the topic at that time?

I think it's more relevant now, if for no other reason then because it provides a means of making sure that production managers etc know "oh, I'm going to *venue such and such*, they have a policy of requiring the script, better make sure I take it then".

Forewarned is forearmed, or whatever the saying is.

Wasn't it decided that it wasn't relevant to the topic at that time?

I think it's more relevant now, if for no other reason then because it provides a means of making sure that production managers etc know "oh, I'm going to *venue such and such*, they have a policy of requiring the script, better make sure I take it then".

Forewarned is forearmed, or whatever the saying is.

When the incoming theatre company signs their contract, they are told what paperwork they must provide to the venue and at the first production meeting/ site visit the production crew are reminded of the paperwork they must provide. No company turns up to venue at the get in not knowing what paperwork must be provided.

Archived