The paperwork should you bring with a production

torch1972

From the topic I start: the morons that come to my theatre! What paperwork should you should bring with a production..

I like to see:

• Rig plan
  • Dimmer allocation sheet
  • Colour call sheet
  • lantern check list
  • cue list
  • script

In an ideal world I would also like:

• Load plan
  • Electrical load plan

What do others bring or want?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Lantern schedule

2) Rig plan

3) Dimmer hook-up list (if going into house dimming)

Everything that plugs into something else will be labeled, from the lights themselves, their way on the multicore, scroller feeds, DMX feeds, bar looms, feeder looms, hot racks, dimmer racks.

This not only speeds up the fit-up, but also helps with the fault finding. If we have time, printed labels are applied under ProSplice tape, XLR's with labels under heatshrink, and everything colour coded by bar. Otherwise Sharpies and paint pens are the order of the day, but everything gets labeled.

However, the lantern schedule is the start of it all. Without this document there would be no point turning up to prep, the purpose of which is to take a bunch of kit and turn it into a lighting rig. My paperwork will list everything regarding the lights, from colour and gobo information to bar position and DMX addressing through to dimmer and hot way circuiting. It will also in the later stages contain an address sheet for whoever is prepping the moving light and scrollers, and things like the dimmer patch and hot power allocation.

Everything would exist as a paper copy and as an electronic version.

Unless I am expecting the venue board op to op the show, I would never send through a copy of the script or the cue list, and I would never send it through in advance (I would hand it over to the board op on the day maybe)

Quite. Why would anyone other than the DSM need a copy of the script and surely you'd always tour the DSM with you? :rolleyes:

In an ideal world I would also like:

• Load plan
  • Electrical load plan

I think these are the most important thing.

If the touring production are bringing significant amounts of their own gear then why do you need to know what channel of their socapex they put their lantern on to plug it into their dimmers? If the gears suitably labelled you dont need the paper work.

(If its entirely and in house lighting production then they probably dont care what goes on what cable providing it comes up on the desk right, so its just as easy for the venue to work the cabling out as you know what youve got.)

Where as any touring production should be telling you how much power you need to provide and how much/where they want to hang from your roof well in advance, because these are are the things that will dictate whether what they want to do is possible or not.

Unless I am expecting the venue board op to op the show, I would never send through a copy of the script or the cue list, and I would never send it through in advance (I would hand it over to the board op on the day maybe)

Quite. Why would anyone other than the DSM need a copy of the script and surely you'd always tour the DSM with you? :rolleyes:

When I have companies that turn up without a DSM or SM, then want me to operate a show I never seen!

When I have companies that turn up without a DSM or SM, then want me to operate a show I never seen!

Well it should state somewhere in your Venue Contract, that if they wish to use you, the Venue Tech as more than just an adviser that, you should have plenty of notice, or a very hefty surcharge will be applied. Or something along those lines, as it is unfair if they just turn up then expect you to do it all, with no preparation.

When I have companies that turn up without a DSM or SM, then want me to operate a show I never seen

still no need for script,especialy in advance.I've lost count of the number of 1 nighters ive worked were the lighting plan, cue list and script was a 5 minute chat over a coffee just before the loaded in.

Archived