Tool case advice

mrcog

Hi Guys,

Right basically I'm looking to get a new toolcase for all the assorted crap I insist on carrying around with me to work! My case at the moment is also rather full and so I've currently got things rattling around in my boot of the car looking for a case to join! So I had a look online and found this Here

I was looking at this and wondering if it's any good compared to the classic Pelicases? I've got a budget that could stretch to around £150ish at a push but I'd want something that would last me a good amount of time!

If anyones got any veiws on the case above it would be great, if you don't then reccomendations of a different case would be great! I know there are a few topics out there already about cases, but none on the specific one above, hence why I started this one! :)

James

The flight case toolboxes can add a lot of weight before you even put any tools inside it, but they do offer a lot of protection.

The Pelicase 1560 seems to do a couple of guys I know well, and offers a good level of kit, wheels and good protection.

On the bargain tip - we use the DuraTool Waterproof Cases for little odds and sods as they are cheap and offer a very good price/protection ratio- we've not had one die yet, and they do get thrown about. £25 for the big one is a bargain. The smaller ones fit the Soundcraft EPM6 a treat too...

I started with the Amptown Case in the link... But when it's full of tools its toil carrying it around.

I've now got a Peli 1560 and 1510 both are great. I have no fear chucking them in the back of a truck. It's also great when you have a couple of hundred meters walk to the venue from where you park up. Just wheel them along behind you!

Deffo go Peli!

On the bargain tip - we use the DuraTool Waterproof Cases for little odds and sods as they are cheap and offer a very good price/protection ratio- we've not had one die yet, and they do get thrown about. £25 for the big one is a bargain. The smaller ones fit the Soundcraft EPM6 a treat too...

That looks rather interesting, but the website only shows the outside. Could you describe (or photograph) the inside? Does it look like a regular toolkit inside, or just an empty box? Thanks.

e2a

http://www.waterproof-casesjitpak.co.uk/in...e-brands-videos

I notice they didn't put eggs in the last test. Perhaps that might haver been the most pracical too (lunch)!

On a totally leftfield note, I use Ratbags bags for all my tools, harness etc. The bags are made from sailmakers canvas which is very hardwearing with tough zips and brass hardware on the bigger bags. I have split the tools up into small 'pencil case' size Ratbags (Handy Bags), ie lampy tools, VDE screwdrivers and cutters, ratchets, sockets and spanners for generators, etc, etc. The smaller bags go into a bigger, waterproof Ratbag (Drowned Rat) that has endless handles and a shoulder strap finished with the aforementioned brass hardware. The main advantage is the reduction of weight compared to a flightcase tool box.

http://ratisland.tripod.com/ratbags.html

Be warned, the website is not the greatest.

I have been carrying my kit around in these bags for the last four years with no problems.

I bought a couple of those Duratool cases:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Thing is pretty robust, you could sit on it but I don't know if I'd stand on it, no foam inside. Comes with a big sticker on the front that I had to soak off with some label remover, didn't come off cleanly. Looks like a pretty good dust seal, down sides I can see is that the design of the hinges means it won't stand on an end, doesn't stand quite upright on the hinge face but shouldn't fall over, and although there are four small protruding feet on the bottom face they don't match up with the squares in the ridging on the top face so they don't lock together / stack well.

Int dimensions are 500 x 355 x 200 max (140mm int base & 60mm in lid)

That's not to say they aren't decent for the price, I'm wondering about getting one of the replacement foam sets for a peli case - the 560 x 350 set here should be enough for two cases. Alternatively I may take it down to the local foam shop (yes, apparently we do have one!) to see what they would reckon to line it out with maybe an inch on all faces. By the time you've done that though you've got to compare the price to a peli case - I'm intending to use the two of them as tool cases, one for electrical and one for mechanical bits so in the end I may not bother lining them at all.

I have had some success with Sealey tool cases (similar construction to a Peli) and they have survived several dates with airport baggage handlers. However, the fact is, mine get smashed once every so often, so after a while you can easily justify the peli.

My favorite for tools and stuff is the 1510 w/ padded dividers + lid organiser. Perfect

Alternatively I may take it down to the local foam shop (yes, apparently we do have one!) to see what they would reckon to line it out with maybe an inch on all faces.

If you just buy the foam and do it your self the cost is approximately pittance... (<£10 anyway)

Archived