Tool case advice

mrcog

not for laptops but I have been using a 2 tier fold out ali case for all my bits and bobs, converters, electrical tape, mints, pain killers, headphones, electrical tester, cd's and other assorted bits - it always sits with me FOH. it has dividers for bits and a shoulder strap...this isn't the one I bought but it's similar and there are loads on ebay if you look under the right search term...which would of course be hairdressing case rather than toolbox!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beauty-Make-Up-Nail-Art-Hairdressing-Case-Box-Silver-/120726726721?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_up_Cosmetics_Make_up_Cases_Bags_PP&hash=item1c1bdfa841#ht_1636wt_1135

I'm another one in the Peli Case camp. I have 2 (sort of), a 1660 (the biggest Peli case) which has all my rigging kit minus 1 rope (which lives in a rope bag, surprisingly); and a Hardigg 2300 (which since the takeover of Hardigg by Peli has now become the Peli Storm iM2300) which lives inside the 1660, and holds all my smaller things that would get lost in the big case (carabiners, pulleys, descenders, lanyards etc).

Personally I would rate the Peli Storm / Hardigg cases over the equivalent size Pelis, the catches are a bit better and the whole case just feels a bit sturdier to me.

As much as I love Amptown Cases, I would say for this size case and this purpose, Peli works better. Not as heavy, mainly. Stronger too, And the lifetime unconditional guarantee in case something does go wrong. Also completely 100% waterproof (even my 1660 which measures about 700x500x500 or so could be dropped in the sea then pulled out 10 minutes later and have no change on the inside) which may sound a bit OTT in our role but let me say one word... FESTIVAL! I left one under a stage at Glastonbury in 2005 and when I woke up I couldn't see it anymore... and it hadn't been stolen. Rather glad that the case, whilst covered in muddy toilet water, at least didn't contain muddy toilet water... and all my gear (Then a sound engineer, so my headphones, test kit etc) was completely safe. Amptown cases are the only way when it comes to leaving stuff in the hands of the locals to fill 10 trucks in 3 hours where they're getting sent up ramps at speed and tipped and stacked... much better than Peli's in that sport due to their strength, 4 wheels (not 2) and their flat sides making them easy to stack and pack closely; but less suited to things that tend to stay with you in the car, or at least get packed seperately on the truck.

For Peli I would reccommend watching eBay, or http://waterproof-cases.co.uk/

Currently what I am using as a tool case, is a Case sold by a local company, a GO Brief 2000, as the name suggests its in a briefcase format/size, with all the usual flight case trims, but its wonderfully light! (Built from 6mm ply I think)

Comes with 1 removable/ repositionable divider (With the ability to make your own to add more) and the Go Brief range has 6 different sizes, to suit anyone's needs. Also a fairly good price, the 2000 is $180ish + Freight.

linky here: http://www.cases.com.au/ddx/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2141

When fully loaded with tools it gets quite heavy, but it comes with a shoulder strap, so that's taken care of. (I haven't gotten to the point where I can justify having a rolling case/ I don't have enough tools to fill one!)

There may be 2 different trains of thought here depending on the line of work you're in.

I've wondered for a while about the wisdom of combined tool and laptop cases.

I'll be honest, I used to use one. Indeed I still have it but it now carries juggling and balloon modelling equipment!

That said, how many times during a get-in do you want your tools and laptop in the same place? I want my tool kit accessible (and in eyesight to make sure nobody nicks anything!). Often this means it's on the stage with me whilst we're throwing around scaff and LX. It's readily accessible and is often left open for easy access/throwing of tools back into it.

Meanwhile my laptop is normally sat at Front of House, either employed in the production, or there for notes/manuals/whatever.

For this reason I tend to run with 2 different storage solutions - a Stanley Fat Max proper tool box for the tools, then a laptop rucksack (standard PC world type, nothing fancy) with a couple of pockets for audio interface, Chamsys dongle, script, notepad, sharpies and biscuits. Between either the bag or the case you'll find a reasonable assortment of adapters and cables, though my proper box of odds and sods travels as kit, rather than as a personal item (unlike tools and laptop).

For this reason I guess you'll find some polemic views - some suggesting laptop style bags, the others heavy tool boxes. My personal preference is one of each! Then you keep the laptop out of harms way (and can hide it!) and when it comes to travelling, the laptop goes on the back, the tools in one hand and one free for car doors - job done.

I got one of these a month or two back:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=ck+tool+cases&hl=en&client=opera&hs=2X5&pwst=1&rls=en-GB&channel=suggest&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1360&bih=546&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7632931635731836980&sa=X&ei=f0hqTsu-LIbrOb2FjcIF&ved=0CFgQ8wIwAA

Very well made and each side unzips completely to display your range of screwdrivers, say.

The centre section will hold a lappy or manuals or DI boxes or even a small cordless drill/driver.

The only drawback is because it is very well made it is not exactly lightweight...add tools and even with the shoulder strap to stop your arm coming out of its socket you could well be in hernia country.

The wheely sort are probably most useful on flat ground with very few steps involved into a venue but down here in deepest Kernow the VH and converted chapels all seem to have steps, (think Aztec pyramids, ** laughs out loud **).

Wheelchair access is usually at the other end of the building for avoiding steps, and, not necessarily near a carpark...Port Isaac VH is a case in point...just watch The Doc Martin series...is just doesn't look steep...it IS steep and they're all like that on the coast!

Ergo a case as above on a fold up sack barrow/trolley is something to consider very seriously. These devices are excellent force multipliers and you can get other stuff in at the same time.

My my, it seems a thread of mine has been resurrected!

I ended up splashing the cash and buying a pelicase 1510, then a couple months later bought the dividers and lid storage stuff and using that purely for tools. Can's, laptop and riders e.c.t go in a laptop rucksack type thing, much like the two bag set-up that cedd has outlined above and at this moment in time is doing me dandy :)

Cheers everyone,

James

Archived