Wired or wireless?

johndenim

So, watching Damon Albarn on the Jonathan Ross show, he pulls down his mic stand with his lead.

The strange thing is that there was no tech to help him, and he battled as he tried to free it himself.

This leads me ( no pun intended! ) to my question.

Why do some acts insist on wired mics these days, when we have more than adequate wireless alternatives?

Even the hyperactive Lee Evans has been know to use a wired mic, any thoughts people?

Iv known some comedians want wired so they have something to play with. Not the most sensible of reasons but whatever makes the artist comfortable...

I always view wireless as one more thing with the potential to go wrong, to be used where needed not as the default. Perhaps this is the case with what you saw.

What I do find strange is acts that insist on wireless mics then dont take them off the stands/move them atall.

hi,

I've worked with some pro guys who wont use wireless because of sound quality and reliability issues. Probably because they go from venue to venue and an SM58 and a lead will work 99% of the time, where as a venues radio system may not (obviously depends on venue/company..etc).

However I can hear the difference between an electro-accoustic guitar on a DI, and one on a radio pack (we have sen SL300G2 transmitters). Although its suitle and the benefits of running wireless for our guitarist out weighs the down side..

Regards

Chris

Most venues can provide a SM58 or similar on a long lead, but not all venues can provide a good radio mic, If he takes his own then the 58 with lead is a standard item and usually rock solid performance wise, but someone else within a mile may be using "his" frequency and there may be problems.

Wireless only where there needs to be wireless, cable all other times.

Jivemaster hits the nail on the head. I'd add one more thing:

Why complicate things? We know what a '58 on a lead sounds like. We know it works. For many gigs there's no point doing more. Keep complexity and cost down while keeping reliability up. Win-win all round!

Admittedly in my gaff we tend to default to radio now, but only because we've proved it, run our radio on a more out-of-the-way frequency band to prevent RF interference, and we know it saves us setup time and money in the long run. Not every venue will see that kind of benefit.

Mmm, not sure that wireless complicates things.

We have beta 58's and senn wireless mics, without an issue, ever.

I know RF drop outs and other problems can happen, but more a thing of the past, we have UHF multi bands, AIU's and distro units now.

Why have an SM58 on a long lead to complicate things?

I wonder if lead mics will ever be a thing of the past?

As we see more and more new artists in gig land, they choose wireless every time.

It's the old school used to wired mics who choose them.

( just watching the stones in Rio ATM, on wired mics, but wow, there are still great! )

we have UHF multi bands, AIU's and distro units now.

All of which can go wrong - more connections to make (ariels, antenae, distribution cabling, and you still need a cable from receiver to stagebox). also with pilot tones, pads, etc there are many more variables on a wireless set; all of which can need checking and changing before a gig). and most times the wireless functionality is not needed, nor worth the extra cost.

Just the opposite in fact... As Channel 70 gets congested and users of channel 38 and nearby channels are charged a "market rate" (read as 'bled dry') users will have to think long and hard about whether they can afford - technically or financially - to use radio.

And yes - no matter how "rock solid" the radio might seem, I'm always happier when the star turn is on the end of a mic lead.

Simon

wired is always going to sound better than wireless, the lack of the need for conversion to rf is the key. 'Digital' transmitter equipment uses compression on the data stream, this adds latency in addition to quality loss. There is some very good radio kit out there, as good as a wire, no

Mmm, not sure that wireless complicates things.

We have beta 58's and senn wireless mics, without an issue, ever.

I know RF drop outs and other problems can happen, but more a thing of the past, we have UHF multi bands, AIU's and distro units now.

As we see more and more new artists in gig land, they choose wireless every time.

It's the old school used to wired mics who choose them.

( just watching the stones in Rio ATM, on wired mics, but wow, there are still great! )

You may say that because you've never had any problems (yet)...

I can guarantee some people have had them during a show! I once had a gig in an old stone cript (now a bar) and I had a few problems with drop-outs. The singer obviously noticed this and explained why he wanted a wireless mic (so he could go out front) so I said what about a 58 with a long lead.... Problem solved!

John - radio scores 100% for convenience. Cable scores 100% for reliability. You pick what works for you.

I'm lazy. I give visitors radio mics because the desk is already set up, eq and gains require just minor tweaking. The old school insist on cable mics because they've been bitten with radio systems. If they want a cable mic, fine - I have to get a cable out, grab a mic, plug it in - a little work which I could do without because I'm a lazy git!

What I disagree with is anyone who says radio is reliable. Brand new batteries that die after 30 mins, some idiot from the local nightclub with a tweaked radio mic that can get back to his club from a quarter of a mile away and splatter over everyone else's. The guitarist who had his pack off during the sound check who turns on just before the set (to travel 6 feet to his amp!) and wipes out the vocalist.

Hippy is spot on the mark - as we all keep saying, nothing is as reliable as a but of wire. Sorry John, both practical evidence and the physics makes this 100% certain.

You may well have an unblemished history with yours, until some other devil spoils it for you - which sadly, is inevitable.

Archived