Wired or wireless?

johndenim

Yup.

My version of TheMadHippy's line is: "You can spend £3000 per channel on a radio mic system that will sound almost--but not quite--as good as a £10 cable".

All the reasons given are valid:

-congestion in the radio spectrum can only get worse

-wireless is inherently less reliable than a cable

-use of FM transmission techniques, usually including companding, result in lower quality sound

-some acts use the cabled mic as a prop

I'll add another thought to the mix: there are fewer mics with wireless versions than there are wired and capsule choice in a wireless system is generally a compromise. I can carry a wider variety of wired mics in my kit and provide one that generally suits the voice/act better than if I'm limited to wireless.

I do most of my work in a theatre setting so RF is often my only solution. However, unless a performance has to have "unfettered movement" I would always choose wired over wireless.

Bob

Spot on Bobbsy.

I would also like to add that "chaos" is part of the Damon Albarn performance.....tangled cables, climbing PA stacks, eyeing up a route into the lighting truss (well certainly when he was younger!) are all part and parcel of his act.

Interesting views. Some acts will just accept what's given to them on stage. My other observations are, some people will prefer to hold a regular mic. Radio mics may be too fat for many people. On the good side, anti feedback is a consideration, being a low gain device, they certainly help when performers run in front of the speakers.

I saw both approaches fail last week during a recording of Radio 2's Friday Night is Music Night.

The excellent John Owen Jones came on state with his (what looked like) Senny 3000 series mic and started singing, of course no signal. Soundman rushes out with the previous act's mic, and they pick up. You can catch this here on iPlayer until next Friday (from 13:40), complete with soundman's comments. In this case, I *suspect* they may simply have muted the wrong mic, but can't tell for sure.

During the following song, soundman runs out a wired Beta 58, not very discretely, with cable clattering a-plenty (not what I'd be doing during a live broadcast on national radio...). Cable not well tucked out of the way, and catches his foot as he walks out, nearly tripping over, to a big audience gasp that nearly steals the show from the tender piano performance at the time.

When John Owen Jones comes out for his next song, he goes to the Beta 58 taps it, hears nothing, grimaces, and takes another singer's wireless mic back. I suspect that the Beta 58 may have been muted or simply not in the foldback when he tried it, but again can't be sure.

Altogether, a demonstration that neither form of mic is without its pitfalls. And glad I wasn't on duty on that gig!

And, to add to that, there was a permanent high pitched whine all night - just audible in many quieter places on the broadcast, but unavoidable in the theatre.

One of those nights where the problems just piled up.....

Having worked with a load of different comics, I have come accross a whole mixed bag of wired vs. wireless... some even go for both... Have had riders to say 2 wireless, 1 and 1 or simply cable mic on a straight stand (no expense spared here!)...

Makes the act happy, makes the client happy so I tend not to ask to many questions when its such a simple thing...

Give me a wired Mic if possible. Radio Mics are great, and work most of the time.

But then I've been on a show where they've failed on the keynote speaker, and the supplier has had to work hard to get the client to pay up the whole of the contract value simply because of that one radio Mic failure*, and we're talking close to £20k's worth of corporate show...

* client specifically requested no lectern on stage so no back up mics there, and maybe the tech should have double mic'd the Keynote speaker, but hey Hindsight is great...

You seem very "anti" wired mics, John. Can't you accept the fact that the professional sound companies and engineers believe that wired mics have their place, and that not everyone needs wireless all of the time?

On the contrary, I prefer my wired mic.

When I perform myself it gives my left hand something to do!

And I can see the benefits, yes.

The question was asked primarily due noticing the change in trend, with older acts going for wired, and new acts ( charts 'n' stuff ) choosing wireless.

The BR's opinion was also my aim.

Thanks to all for your intellectual thoughts.

Archived