Plasa 09

Jerome

I have to say I was really disapointed by the Mac 301 (assuming they haven't made any changes to the VarLED A7 other than the badge). The Zoom is nice, but the optics leave a bit to be desired. Also, the colour isn't great, no matter what it always seems purple to me and doesn't do anything aproaching white. That said I did have the A7 alongside the GLP impressions which I really liked.

Anyone know when Martin are releasing a framing version of the Mac3? Last time I spoke to a Martin guy they said they were working on it, but that was back in March.

It will be my first time working on a stand this year so I'm quite looking forward to that really! I've heard great things about the after parties too...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say I was really disapointed by the Mac 301 (assuming they haven't made any changes to the VarLED A7 other than the badge). The Zoom is nice, but the optics leave a bit to be desired. Also, the colour isn't great, no matter what it always seems purple to me and doesn't do anything aproaching white. That said I did have the A7 alongside the GLP impressions which I really liked.

So you have had both of them together on a show??

On a side note to some of the other comments...

Just to let people know... I WILL be investing. In a media server. Certain companies already know I am coming.

Best

Just to let people know... I WILL be investing. In a media server. Certain companies already know I am coming.

So ? ? ?

I am off on Tuesday mainly for the seminar on telescopes, see if CAST can help me out with some bits. Have a chat to le mark, and see what demos I can get at work, for things that are going to be useful, like a new desk and a couple of lights.

Oh and one of those quick wrench things I saw 3 years ago but never got, that I have never seen again.

I'm probably there on dj daves dodgy disco day, as I doubt I'll negotiate a day off for a trade show when I only start on Tuesday...

Will be looking for small sounddesks for work, solutions for kit management in a school (work), and methods for implementing CoNaW within a school environment; lower budget 4k projectors (church), a quiet spot away from teenagers and DJs and people who I haven't seen for a while! Also want to pop into Strand to get some idea of how to use the pallete at work.

Feel free to say hello if you see me around, lots of hair, lots of beard, big keychain, wearing a badge saying 'Jon Pearce'...

Don't forget to wear your school 'stage crew' t-shirt, collect as many lanyards as you can and hang them around your neck, and raid every stand you pass for swag and carrier bags. That is what's supposed to happen at PLASA on DJ Sunday, isn't it?

:P

I thought thats what happens everyday I was dragged there everyday for work experience last year. thought one block was gonna collapse with the amount of lanyards round his neck

That said I did have the A7 alongside the GLP impressions which I really liked.

Think they both use the same LED , Luxeon K2, so may have had something to do with the way they were set up, or Lumileds wide as Severn estuary colour binning.

Sounds like a day of freebies and fun to me .... Do you get crisps with the beer? :)

And that, right there, is the sort of thing that really devalues PLASA as a serious trade show for some people. :)

And that is the exact reason I usually wait until Tuesday to go. I don't do lanyards, or carrier bags, torches, blah blah blah. It is a serious trade show aimed at promoting new products to the industry (as a trade show should do), and although it may be a laugh to take the mickey on here, when it comes down to the real thing, nothing bugs me more than the freebie brigade. I had a free mug last year from Lighting Partners, only after I had spent a considerable five figure sum, and the free beer only comes from suppliers that I use a lot, or friends in the industry.

I'm not attending this year as it becomes too repetitive to go every year, and I read TP and LSi to keep up with new technology anyway. And the BR of course :P

Taraaa!

That said I did have the A7 alongside the GLP impressions which I really liked.

Think they both use the same LED , Luxeon K2, so may have had something to do with the way they were set up, or Lumileds wide as Severn estuary colour binning.

They don't actually, Having had both side-by-side they are totally different units! the 301 had a much harder edge than the impression, as well as it's 13 degree beam being much narrower than the impressions 10 degree. The 301 is much 'greener' with colours and has some pretty weird effects when changing colour at certain zoom ratios. I did find it quite difficult to match colour on both units as neither have calibrated Hog 3 profiles and their starting 'whites' are very different.

Regards

Tim

And that, right there, is the sort of thing that really devalues PLASA as a serious trade show for some people. ;)

Firms are going bust.... those remaining are shelling out untold £thousands to present their wares to trade buyers, and the punters want crisps with their beer? Priceless ;-)

They don't actually, Having had both side-by-side they are totally different units! the 301 had a much harder edge than the impression, as well as it's 13 degree beam being much narrower than the impressions 10 degree.

The 13º beam is narrower than the 10º? Someone can't do math....

So you have had both of them together on a show??

I've had the two of them a couple times - the first time I saw the 301/A7 was when we hosted a Moving Light Shoot out for Whitelight - our inital impressions of the A7 were really good, but purely for the zoom. However, once we started looking at the actual beam of the light when zoomed and the weird hot spots and spills that appear at different zooms we started to have doubts. Initially we didn't compare colour as it seemed ok when the CTC was wheeled in, although in comparison to other LED fixtures it's a bit too off white still. We had the Impression White White versions as well which I really liked and have had on shows since.

The first time I had them on a show together was at Latitude Festival this year in the Theatre Arena. We had an energy efficient rig with 9 GLP RGB Impressions and 5 VaryLED A7's. When compared side by side I found the impressions to have better optics/light output and punch and give a better white with a generally 'warmer' tint to it (better when working with tungsten in the rig too) while the A7s always seemed blueish. The GLPs also remained hassle free while I had to build a profile for the A7s (possibly contributing to some of the problems...) and one of them died half way through a show for no apparent reason.

Thanks guys,very much appreciate the insight into A7/301 Vs Impression, just to clarify ,my confusion before actually looking it up, they both use Lumileds LEDs , the A7 is Luxeon Rebel and the Impression Luxeon K2, also clearly be differences in drive electronics ,obviously optics and Lumileds wide interpretation of the colour blue.

Back near the original topic , what will your badge read?

I`m "Chief Cook and Bottle Washer"

Oh and one of those quick wrench things I saw 3 years ago but never got, that I have never seen again.

If you mean the "Super Wrench" I don't think they've got a stall this year, but you you buy the set from their website here. I've found mine to be pretty good...

Gareth.

Archived