Zero 88 Orb

smalljoshua

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orb website has been updated, adding new content and also updating the specification to include 1000 of each type of palettes, groups and macros. This change has been made directly as a result of the feedback provided here, so thank-you to Blue Room members for making the desk more what they want.

I think lots of people will appreciate this - Zero88's excellent customer service/attention to feedback is one of the main reasons I like to recommend their consoles when appropriate, and I think this is a great example of that.

Peter Peter Peter, you keep giving us all this information. But your avoiding the question on our lips (unless I missed it?) whats the RRP?

Nearly all consoles at this level are price on application...it's not unusual for no RRP to be published.

I think lots of people will appreciate this - Zero88's excellent customer service/attention to feedback is one of the main reasons I like to recommend their consoles when appropriate, and I think this is a great example of that.

I'd like to relate a little anecdote.

Around the end of the seventies, maybe very early eighties, and friend and I earned a few bob refitting a disco, and for the controller we were using the then very new Zero88 Micro 4, which may have been advertised as the first microprocessor driven disco controller. We wanted to do matrixing of outputs, but couldn't find a product that did the job, so I called up Zero88, and ended up speaking to Richard Thornton-Brown. A few days later in the post arrived a hand-drawn (in pencil) schematic and a typewritten note (with corrections!) explaining how to solve our need.

The key thing here is that Zero88 didn't know me from Adam, but they were willing to help out quite substantively.

It doesn't matter what you think of Zero88s products, as a bunch of people and a company, they absolutely rock.

I still have that letter and schematic somewhere...

Peter,

Is it possible to put up some more detailed photos of the console. I'd like to see how "standard" the button layout is.

Once again we've updated the website, adding a high resolution picture. This can be downloaded here (2.8mb link). There are probably a few buttons you'll want to know about, so feel free to ask questions.

As for the price, you'll have to wait till PLASA to find that out - pop along to the stand and we'll be able to let you know all the details.

Look forward to seeing you all at the stand (A80, right next to the entrance of Hall 2),

Peter

The image “http://www.orbdesk.com/images/ORBDeskAndMonitors.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

:D

(Vista/Firefox 2.0.0)

I have that problem in IE8 (emulating IE7) on Vista. It worked if I right clicked the link above and saved the image to my desktop.

chris

The image “http://www.orbdesk.com/images/ORBDeskAndMonitors.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

:D

(Vista/Firefox 2.0.0)

That can often be an indicator that your connection to Z88's servers at one point timed out during downloading of the image file - causing a corrupt file at your end - often worth just refreshing the page.

I couldn't view it in XP Home / IE7 (got a red X in a small white box and refreshed the page several times).

However, the image definatly exists: If you copy the link and open it in an image program (I use Macromedia Fireworks) the image opens.

I can upload a Zipped version of the image if that would be useful for those of you who are having problems. Let me know if the problems are still there - it's possible it was just a server glitch.

FWIW we've added a German language version of the site today.

I can't see the pic in my vanilla XP/IE6* setup either. But I can download and open it.

MIME type problem? Or maybe just Internet Exploder?

So, having opened it and zoomed in a bit....

No REM DIM button makes me sad. Maybe as a software feature...?

How do you go back on a running cuestack? Does that "step" button equate to "cut"?

They look like proper buttons. Nice work there. I'd like to feel them, though. (oo-err...)

Macros on softkeys only? Just wondered.

What are those screens?

*=I know! Believe me, if I was allowed to change it, I would...

No REM DIM button makes me sad. Maybe as a software feature...?

REM DIM is SHIFT+FULL. Also accessible from the suggested commands bar on the monitor.

How do you go back on a running cuestack? Does that "step" button equate to "cut"?

Pause acts like the Strand "Stop Back" - once to stop the fade, a second time to go back. SHIFT+GO is Cut Forward, SHIFT+PAUSE is Cut Back.

They look like proper buttons. Nice work there. I'd like to feel them, though. (oo-err...)

They're proper Cherry keys, as seen on most other syntax driven desks.

Macros on softkeys only? Just wondered.

Soft keys or monitor keys, plus attachable to Memories+Subs and accessible through syntax

What are those screens?

On that picture you can see ...

On the left:

Colour Picker (with a button to select Colour Palettes instead, and RGB/CMY/HSV clickable faders visible) / Beamshape Palettes

Position Palettes / Groups

On the Right:

Output Window, in "Channel" mode (which is colour coded as per Strand LightPalette colour coding) - there is also a 'fixture' mode which looks more like a Hog 2 Program Window.

Memories Window

At the bottom of each monitor output is the "Suggested Commands" bar, which is clickable, so you can select any available syntax option using the mouse or touchscreen too.

Edit: Just realised, you might be asking about the LCD screens...

From Left to Right:

2 x Submaster Label LCDs

1 x Memory LCD (shows Current/Next and fade progress)

1 x Syntax Keys LCD (w/buttons beneath) - these follow syntax and also allow quick access to popup window buttons, like Yes/No in Overwrite confirmation windows.

1 x Wheel LCD, shows what each of the 3 wheels is controlling

Archived