1kw fresnel recomedations

themadhippy

looking for some decent 1kw fresnels to bring our theatres lantern stock up to the 20th century(yes I know its the 21st century),we have hired in cct starlettes in the past and they apear ok,but is there anything better for the price? thanks to some leftover stationary budget ive been alowed to go shopping ;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know of any 743's going cheap?? ;)

Assuming no-one would want to part with their trusty 20th-Century workhorses, I'd try out some ADB's. Used them a couple of times in the past, and found them nice n'even. (Shame about the blue legoland fittings on ADB's though :angry: )

I am a fan of ADB fresnels, bit they are a little larger than a Starlette or Cantata for example, but as the above post mentions they are very even ( But only if the lamp is alignment is correct depending on the lamp, T11 or T29, otherwise when you go to full spot you end up with a egg timer shaped beam) ;)

You may want to look at finding a barndoor for a Source 4 Parnel, same principle as a source 4 par, but more like a fresnel, a barndoor might not actually be of any use as the spill from the lens is much less than from a fresnel lens.

Yep 743's, however old they maybe, are still great lanterns. So useful in so many different situations. Upto 82º. Nice.

Failing that, I've never heard a bad word about Harmony Fresnels, altho they seem to be in low numbers compared to Cantata's these days.

Stu

I have Starlettes..and they're ok, but I'd rather have Cantatas...which are cheaper at list price anyway.

The one nice thing about Starlettes is with some creative engineering, you can modify the barndoors to tilt on a central axis as well - like Juliat ones do.

I forgot to say I used to use Starlette's all the time for down lighting, did the trick, but didn't go wide or narrow enough for my liking! Could do alot worse tho!

Stu

Just to throw this thread of the rails, I am converted to TV fresnels. We had a few Ianrio Polaris lanterns, ex BBC, and it knocked the spots off our 743s (no pun intended) They create a really nice quality of light on stage, with a good colour temp. Good beam range too, Lamps CP40, Bi-pin. Specs can be dragged of the Strand Archives.

HTH,

Rob.

Take a look at the Robert Juliat range. They seem to have taken the 743 design and improved it. We are currently looking at getting the PC version as we get a lot of european companys, and they normally spec PC's rather than Fresnels.

Got'ta love the RJ barndoors that tilt in all directions ;)

Oh and avoid the Starlettes. We have a few of the PC's and even our 743's piss on the Starlette PC's for light output and beam angle. I don't know about the Starlette Fresnel's but I suspect they are similar.

'Lo

Yep 743s still rock, give them a service and they should last you for ages. You might had heard this if not... 243s are same boxes as 743s but with screw in lamps. These tend to cost more than the t11/ 19s but you can change the lamp bases for around £30+VAT. Harmony's are quite good easy to focus, stay put when hung and more importantly stay together. The bonus with these two is that parts are available and in some cases mainly for the 743s you can get non manufactured parts (barn doors, etc) these can be quite cheap.

I had a quick play with the new selecon fresnels they felt pretty robust and easy to use. The main thing I liked was the smooth rotation of the barn doors.

Has anyone had any use of the source 4 PARNEL?

ta

;)

You might had heard this if not... 243s are same boxes as 743s but with screw in lamps.

Has anyone had any use of the source 4 PARNEL?

Na, 243's are 2k fresnels and very good ones too. Correct me if im wrong but I think you mean 223's?

Parnels are okay, but don't go that wide, or that narrow, but they do benefit from Par like efficiency.

Guest lightnix
It's just gotta be 743s, no question about it. Best thing that Rank Strand ever did and if they had any sense they'd start making them again. Barndoors are like gold dust, mind.

'Lo

Yes so sorry meant the 223s. 243s are the HUGE fresnels.

It is intresting how alot of people really rate the 743 lantern.

A design classic maybe?

Easy to service and take apart, if you don't mind loosing some skin. The only problem I would say I have had was the wire from the gel frame the + breaking during use.

I once owned an unusual flavour of the 243 - it was a TV version designed for pole operation - you could adjust pan, tilt, and focus from floor level. Never seen anything else like it from that era.

It was too big to be of any use to me (I think they have a 12" lens) and I threw it in with some controls that I sold to someone. I wonder what he did with it...

I have a few Starlette F and PCs and would agree that they're optically challenged, both in terms of beam spread and efficiency.

Does anyone have any intimate knowledge of the Freedom fresnels? Any good?

(Recipe: Juliat style barndoors on a Starlette:

Take one set of Starlette barndoors. Drill out the 2 rivets that connect the barndoor leafs (leaves?) to the ring section. You will find the there are 3 holes in this section - two that you've just drilled out and a central one. Reconnect each leaf through the central hole using a rack bolt, appropriate nut and sprung washer...and a load of other washers will probably help, too. et voila! You have a lovely tilting Starlette Barndoor. Marvellous for those cross-stage corridoors that just won't go parallell....) ;)

Archived