1kw fresnel recomedations

themadhippy

Yes so sorry meant the 223s. 243s are the HUGE fresnels.

It is intresting how alot of people really rate the 743 lantern.

A design classic maybe?

We've still got 243s at work as well. Altho 3 of them blew lamps at the same time yesterday ;) Thats finished off our run of CP41s :angry:

And yeh, I'd go along with the 743s being a design classic... Now if we only had some more barndoors for them B)

Stu

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Lo

Barndoors for 743? I belive Thomas engineering make them. I have bought a few from RB lighting in Teddington. Cost circa £35 depending on the deals.

Looking at the 743s, 123s and 23s they are made very well and quite solid compared to newer models. Alright the 123 and the 23 have been superceeded by brighter lanterns but you can still find a lot in theatres and schools around the country.

Taking apart the Patt lanterns you get plently of inside bits but the case is usually made up of only one or two pieces. Try taking a lantern such as a prelude apart and you need four hands to put it back together.

I wonder if the cost of manufacturing to the same specs would be to high today?

;)

I second Martin's opinion - go for the Juliats.

The barndoors are great (you don't realise how great until you focus a normal fresnel).

They may be expensive, but they are well built. We bought 28 of them in January 2002, and have used them every day since - and have replaced ONE bulb! That probably offsets the price difference between Juliats and other lanterns.

Our Strand rep asked why we bought them, and we told him they reminded us of 743s...

Sad really...

alan.

Do you think we could do the world a favour and arrange a ceremonial destruction of every CCT Minuette?? We could have a whole separate ceremony just to celebrate the demise of Minuette barndoors as well while we're at it!

I second Martin's opinion - go for the Juliats.

The barndoors are great (you don't realise how great until you focus a normal fresnel).

They may be expensive, but they are well built.  We bought 28 of them in January 2002, and have used them every day since - and have replaced ONE bulb!  That probably offsets the price difference between Juliats and other lanterns. 

Our Strand rep asked why we bought them, and we told him they reminded us of 743s...

Sad really...

alan.

They certainly look like a ickle bit like 743s. Do they have the same kind of build quality and light quality as the 743s?

Sometimes older lanterns can be the best! (Mind you, they are almost double the age of me! :angry: ;) )

Stu

I'd go for Cantata first, possibly Juliat if you've got the money. Starlette are perfectly fine (the current design is better than earlier ones, and the Fresnel is much better than the PC). CCT Freedom Fresnel isn't worth considering unless you're going for the distributed-dimming version. I don't particularly like ADB. 743/223s were great, but take up a lot more space relatively, are not easily findable in large quantities (unless you know someone selling some) and I still have concerns about frames and barndoors coming out (like similar Patt Fresnels).

Does anyone have any intimate knowledge of the Freedom fresnels?  Any good?

Too intimate. Apart from the IEC lead working loose really, really easily, they're a real sod if the bulb blows. After removing the barn door, the sprung lens unit must be unscrewed from its locators and they're a real pain to put back due to the textured graphite finish. Definately not a recommended procedure when up a tallescope! The profiles- similar lead problems and can I get a good flat field without blowing spare bubble stock? Can I 'eckers like.

Do you think we could do the world a favour and arrange a ceremonial destruction of every CCT Minuette?? We could have a whole separate ceremony just to celebrate the demise of Minuette barndoors as well while we're at it!

Yes Yes Yes.

I grew up on Preludes and now unfortunaty own a handful of Minuettes, However their size is their only (If very small) redeaming factor.

How did this come up in a thread on 1K Fresnels?

James

Do you think we could do the world a favour and arrange a ceremonial destruction of every CCT Minuette??

Who needs to? They do it all by themselves!! Still, 20 years ago they were the dogs. Smaller and lighter than a 123, wider beam seemed brighter (maybe just 'cos the lens was clean) but they're made of pretty thin sheet on top and bottom.

A real swine is cleaning the profile version.

I'm still using lots of both versions.

Andrew

A real swine is cleaning the profile version.

Surely you just undo a screw on the front, slide the top cover of the lenstube forwards and hey-presto.

Now - as for cleaning Sils ....

We still have loads of MinFs and though the barndoors occasionally need putting back into shape, they do the job fine. Nowadays you'd probably go for the Selecon Acclaim fresnel over the Quartet fresnel.

I must confess to owning about 50 Minuettes, of which about 75% are fresnels. ;)

I'm sure Rob borrowed some for a charity event a while back - given what he said it, it's a miracle I got them back at all!

I would agree that they're not a wonderful lantern, but at least they're small and lightweight, and people pay to hire them. The barndoors are dreadful, but they will take Minim barndoors, which are nicer.

I do much prefer Preludes (we've got about 15) which IMO are one of the best 650W lanterns ever made. Does anyone else share my view that discontinuing them was yet another bad decision by Strand?

Or do we have any Quartet lovers out there? :angry:

Dave.

Preludes profiles

Um well I have had some decent use from a set in a previous job. The main problem was locking off once focused. Being nose heavy they tended to tilt downwards.

Top tip when cleaning the lens assembly make sure you put it back in the correct way. Otherwise it offers a varying beam size of spludge. Nothing like practical experience.

;)

Archived