wiring a plug

themadhippy

can you wire a plug  

246 members have voted

1. 1. well?

• yea no problem
    • sort of but I'd rather you checked it
    • Aint got a clue

Quote - Ynot "Could it be a case of too many teens being too cocky with a simple answer yet not confident enough to post me the evidence...??"

Mebe he was the cocky one, thinking teens couldn't wire a plug, when actually they did, so he decided it was better not to publish the evidence?

:D

Hmmm... ©

That sounded a bit like a gauntlet being dropped there....

Well, somewhere mid-topic it was stated that 99 people had responded to the poll... That currently sits at a grand total of 171.

A quick trawl back through the pages and I count at least 20 teens who also stated in writing that they knew how to correctly terminate a plug.

However, I still have only EIGHT 'entries' in my PM inbox.

I have to say that most of those who took the time to write were on the whole quite good.

But I was sort of hoping for a rather higher take up to the challenge.............

So, maybe my 'cocky' conclusion was not too far from correct, as less than five percent of those who answered the poll could manage to back up their claim...

For reference, those who did PM me were:

Smalljoshua

JakeFraser

IamChrisTuffin

Berry120

Matt C

Tom The LD

Harvey 51

Charl.ie

I will (eventually) publish some of those who took the time, but come on guys - let's see some more confidence in your abilities.....

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mebe he was the cocky one, thinking teens couldn't wire a plug, when actually they did, so he decided it was better not to publish the evidence?

For reference, those who did PM me were:

Smalljoshua

JakeFraser

IamChrisTuffin

Berry120

Matt C

Tom The LD

Harvey 51

Charl.ie

Where's yours then Stegga? :D

I can wire 13Amp/15Amp/16Amp. I got taught 13Amp ages ago when on a gig, then we went over it again in one of my science lessons and I did it in about a minute, then had to sit and wait for everyone else to finish for another 20 mins. I learnt 16Amp on a gig a while ago as well but I haven't had to do any in ages - and yes first time round I did make the mistake of not putting the case on first, then had to undo it :tearshair: I did a couple of 15Amps on some new Par 64s our school bought. That was the first time I'd done 15Amps but they're just the same as 13's really.

Never done 5pin before though.

I ran over the lawn mower cable once, and paniked alot, no one was home and I didnt know what to do!

So I took my mind back to one my first science lessons in high school, how to wire a plug!

I loved that science lesson, cause my uncle an electrician taught me how to do it only a few weeks prior!

I showed off my skills, and plugged the lamp into the socket, moment of truth and it didnt work! but hey I had a little pressure on my shoulders!

But back to the lawn mower! I rewired it and now the cable is only like 1m long, so we have to use an extension cable!

But back to the lawn mower! I rewired it and now the cable is only like 1m long, so we have to use an extension cable!

So....

you're saying that your lawn mower has a 1m cable with a 13A plug on it...

And you use a 13A extension cable to run it...?

Hmm..

Good luck in the next life!

you're saying that your lawn mower has a 1m cable with a 13A plug on it...

And you use a 13A extension cable to run it...?

Hmm.. ™

Good luck in the next life!

My father has and still uses (for about 10-15 years) a lawn mower running on 13 amp power - still has the original power cable, never needed an extension. Who cuts wet grass anyway?

My father has and still uses (for about 10-15 years) a lawn mower running on 13 amp power - still has the original power cable, never needed an extension. Who cuts wet grass anyway?
Hmmm...

Well, I do, to be honest - when you are limited to when you CAN get out to cut the lawns, you have to take the opportunity to do so when it arises - and whilst I'd prefer to do it dry, it doesn't always work that way.

Your father is obviously very lucky, or has more time than I do to wait for the grass to dry completely before mowing. 13A household connectors are NOT rated for use outside - the standard lawnmower IEC type however ARE.

A quick trawl back through the pages and I count at least 20 teens who also stated in writing that they knew how to correctly terminate a plug.

However, I still have only EIGHT 'entries' in my PM inbox.

I have to say that most of those who took the time to write were on the whole quite good.

But I was sort of hoping for a rather higher take up to the challenge.............

I'm surprised you got such a high take up to be honest. The question was can you wire a plug not would you like to spend time proving to someone else that you can wire a plug. If someone is going to write exactly what you need to do it would certainly take longer than wiring the plug in the first place. If they write a basic description it leaves them open to criticism.

I don't think I can wire a plug any better now than when I was 19 and yet none of the oldies have been asked by the younger members to prove that they can do so, and if they did we would say that they are asking us to do their course work.

W/ Robe I see what your saying but surely if someone didn't know here is an opportunity to educate. I think asking someone how to draw a scale plan of a theatre is a little different to asking how to wire a plug.

On the other hand maybe wiring a plug to a 'newbie' is alien. Some folk just like this industry becuase "lights are pretty" and "oh my god that sounds ace". This is why "The Next Generation" is here. Maybe people should deal with student issues with a little more 'give ' than someone in the industry as everyone has to learn. People on here ask how to fix desks all the time which maybe could seem just as alien as wiring a plug if you don't know what your'e doing.

P.S Yes I can wire a plug, 13A + 15A as I have PM'd YNOT to "prove", honestly never done 16A but due to being in a traditional theatre setup most of the time, never had to.

I'm sure most people would be happy to discuss how to wire a plug, but I bet someone would intimate that you should Google/find out for your self.

I thought that Ynot was inferring that the three fifths who had not sent him their description were possibly not capable of wiring the plug and I felt that they should feel under no more obligation than anyone else on the forum to have to prove that what they had voted was true.

The last time I wired a plug was replacing the cable on my lawn mower, it has not killed me yet so I guess I'm not too bad.

I would certainly consider myself competant to wire a plug, must have done thousands by now!

BUT like others I would be reluctant to say exactly how to do it.

If the instructions were sufficiently detailed to cover almost any eventualities, they would be many, many pages long, and someone could allways pick holes in ones suggestion.

Here are a few suggestions, Before fitting the plug, ensure that the flex is in good condition, and the correct size and type for the application. This could start a debate running to many pages, as to the merits of different insulation or sheathing materials, the advisability or not of useing apparently undersized,or oversized flex, and what colour the outer sheathing should be for different applications.

In the case of a 13 amp plug, one should fit the correct fuse, this in practice is a simple matter, but could also start a lenghty debate, including from what fuse sizes should the selection be made? 3 amp and 13 amp are the most common ratings, and some what argue that one of these two should allways be used. On the other hand 1, 2, 5, 7 and 10 amp fuses are available*, should these be used or not?

And of course having fitted the plug, it could be argued that the appliance should be PAT tested, that can also provoke great debate as to how it should be done and what exactly are the grounds for passing or failing.

* and 16 amp ones! but I dont think that these should be fitted in 13 amp plugs!

Archived