wiring a plug

themadhippy

can you wire a plug  

246 members have voted

1. 1. well?

• yea no problem
    • sort of but I'd rather you checked it
    • Aint got a clue

Yet, I'd be prepared to wager that if we took everyone who has responded to this poll, gave them a practical test, and looked at the results, the pass mark would be substantially less than 100%....

I'd agree. The only sure way to check this, would be to PAT test the plug / lead / equipment.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would you class a PAT test?

To check the wiring of a plug all you need is a visual inspection. The earth bond and insulation tests asociated with portable appliance testing offer no benefits here and only serve to confuse matters. In my opinion of course. :** laughs out loud **:

What would you class a PAT test?

To check the wiring of a plug all you need is a visual inspection. The earth bond and insulation tests asociated with portable appliance testing offer no benefits here and only serve to confuse matters. In my opinion of course. :** laughs out loud **:

I'd say that the visual inspection is the most important part of any 'PAT test'.

Certainly, more faults are uncovered by the visual inspection than by the electrical tests.

Not strictly, true,

Yes the visual inspection would show if the plug has been wired correctly, however........

But how do you know the piece of kit / lead is ok?

I honestly couldn't, and wouldn't want to risk causing an accident, unless I could test it using a Pat test.

Not strictly, true,

Yes the visual inspection would show if the plug has been wired correctly, however........

But how do you know the piece of kit / lead is ok?

Sorry - I didn't make it clear.

I mean as far as testing the job of wiring said plug to a single cable. It should go without saying that if it's connected to a piece of kit (unlikely in the case of an educational establishment's training session) then yes a full test is essential.

But that's not what I meant.

Any more entires Ynot?

Not yet - patiently awaiting a couple more....

Intersting Tony.

At the last count, 95 people said they could put on a plug "No problem."

You have five statements of how they would do it...

If I can quote you again,

"Hmmmm"

Jim

Sorry if this is going to sound repetive, but my dad showed me when I was 6 years old.

When I was 7 years old, my Gran moved from a cottage with round pin plugs to a nice new council bungalow with square pin plugs*. This, of course, necessitated in a lot of plug changing.

My dad chucked me a box of plugs, some 5A fuses, some tools and told me to get on with it.

Not only did I have to re-wire the plugs, but I had to put the right fuse in the plug too, as they came with 13's already installed. The funny thing was that my gran had recently bought a new kettle, and my dad had only just chopped the supplied square pin plug* and fitted a 15A round pin. ;)

Nearly 20 years later, and some of those plugs are still there, still working exactly as I left them.

I were also shown when I were in the Scouts. I were Sixer at the time, and Blue Six were THE BEST at wiring plugs that night!

Matt

* Yes, I know they are rectangular, but I'm lazy. "Square" has 1 syllable and "Rectangular" has 4, and only half the letters...

Yes, I know they are rectangular, but I'm lazy. "Square" has 1 syllable and "Rectangular" has 4, and only half the letters...

But that explanation had 33 :P

Seriously though, in my mind you've just brought up the best way to learn how to do it. Practically. What better way to learn than be chucked a couple of dozen plugs and told to get on with it? ;)

Seriously though, in my mind you've just brought up the best way to learn how to do it. Practically. What better way to learn than be chucked a couple of dozen plugs and told to get on with it? :)

Hello, Mr. Instructor. I'd like to learn how to drive that articulated lorry please.

Certainly, sir. Here are the keys. I'll be in the office, let me know how you got on.

;) :P :blink: :blink:

Not for every situation... I was specifically talking about wiring plugs! I don't think it'd work that well for bomb disposal either I must say! And I'm not saying they shouldn't be checked after they've been wired, the opposite in fact.

Others may disagree, I just think that for wiring plugs, it's better learning practically than just learning what colours go where in the back end of a physics lesson.

Seriously though, in my mind you've just brought up the best way to learn how to do it. Practically. What better way to learn than be chucked a couple of dozen plugs and told to get on with it? ;)

Hello, Mr. Instructor. I'd like to learn how to drive that articulated lorry please.

Certainly, sir. Here are the keys. I'll be in the office, let me know how you got on.

Ah, but that's exactly how they do teach you to drive. It'd be a bit silly if you "learnt to drive" by watching an instructor, or discussing the theory of clutch control.

With tasks like wiring plugs (or doing decent termination of low voltage connectors, etc) you learn partly by being told what best practices are, but you mostly get experience and remember it by doing it.

Any more entires Ynot?

Not yet - patiently awaiting a couple more....

Intersting Tony.

At the last count, 95 people said they could put on a plug "No problem."

You have five statements of how they would do it...

Up to 6 now, but that's precisely why I'm waiting for more contributors to put up their wiring knowledge...!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Ah, but that's exactly how they do teach you to drive. It'd be a bit silly if you "learnt to drive" by watching an instructor, or discussing the theory of clutch control.

Er, really?

Are you sure??

If you are, then the driving school methods must have changed DRASTICALLY since I passed my test almost 30 years back!!

Archived