wiring a plug

themadhippy

can you wire a plug  

246 members have voted

1. 1. well?

• yea no problem
    • sort of but I'd rather you checked it
    • Aint got a clue

Even the more basic ideas are up for debate. For example most of us know to double back the wire before inserting it into the terminal but why? Well as I recall by doubling the amount of soft metal within the terminal you're supposed to get a better connection but has anyone actually tested this scientifically and anyway why do we need a better connection?

It could be argued that 13A plugs are tested without the cable doubled back so the only time you would need to do so is if you were using the plug in conditions to which it's not suited or if your workmanship was poor. It could also be suggested that by doubling back the conductors you are reducing the terminations safety as if the cord grip was to fail instead of cleanly pulling away from the live terminals the cables could unfold and allow the equipment to remain energised even though the plug was now a hazard.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was taught at Rolls Royce Technical College in Bristol. Bar all the bits about putting covers on first, cable grips etc. They taught a fundamentaly different way of treating the copper wire on a 13amp plug, but you can apply up to 16amp

1 Strip back about 2 inchs ( 4 to 5 cms of Insulation from the cores). A lot I know but here is why.

2. Separate about 4 individual strands from one of the cores and proceed to start to wrap it around the remainder of the core so creating a wrap around from the insulation.

3. Repeat this on all the live, earth and neutral.

3. This gives you a mechanicallly stronger point to screw down on to when you put it in the pin ( after sniping the wrapped core to the corect length)

Any one come across this or am I just too old

I was taught at Rolls Royce Technical College in Bristol. Bar all the bits about putting covers on first, cable grips etc. They taught a fundamentaly different way of treating the copper wire on a 13amp plug, but you can apply up to 16amp

1 Strip back about 2 inchs ( 4 to 5 cms of Insulation from the cores). A lot I know but here is why.

2. Separate about 4 individual strands from one of the cores and proceed to start to wrap it around the remainder of the core so creating a wrap around from the insulation.

3. Repeat this on all the live, earth and neutral.

3. This gives you a mechanicallly stronger point to screw down on to when you put it in the pin ( after sniping the wrapped core to the corect length)

Any one come across this or am I just too old

Yes, I've come across something similar in electricity meters and henley blocks when replacing very old tails, it was often done so that a small conductor can be made to better fill the terminal.

I was taught to double over conductors so that they 'fill' the terminal. The reasoning behind this is that a terminal screw will often cut through a single conductor when being tightened but is a lot less likely to happen if you have double the amount of copper in the terminal. This is often seen in light switches with small solid cored cables but does sometimes occur with small flexes in plug terminals.

And when connecting stranded core cables onto terminals where you just have a screw and a washer I was taught to peel back one strand and wrap it once around the others at the point where the insulation finishes to hold them together when you split the rest of the strands in half to put them either side of the terminals. Except with little flexes where you just do a complete loop around the screw with all of the strands in a clockwise direction.

But I'm sure other people have been taught other methods.

Archived