wiring a plug

themadhippy

can you wire a plug  

246 members have voted

1. 1. well?

• yea no problem
    • sort of but I'd rather you checked it
    • Aint got a clue

A question for you schoolies out there,can you wire a 13A and 15A plug properly ? Why do I ask ? Well recently ive had a few yoofs passing through on work experiance,and as usual the first thing (ok second after making the coffee) I get them to do is put a plug on something,and the majority dont have a clue were to start,claiming the've never been taught. So is the art of plug fitting dying off? Or have just had a bunch of useless oiks

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad showed me how to re-wire a plug when I was 6 or 7 when he replaced a smashed one on a drill.

The next time he needed one doing, he asked me to and then checked it, I got it right. It was that sense of pride (when I was 8) that helped me remember.

Josh

Well I guess I've brought it on myself with all the specials I've fabricated over the years, but it's one thing I can definitely do! Even bought myself some decent VDE wire strippers the other month - an investment worth its weight in gold for anybody doing any real amount of wiring work...

I have never been taught in school.

I enquired about this on both my Science and Electronic Products GCSEs and was told that it was not in the curriculum so they didn't need to teach it.

Josh

[puts on grumpy old man's hat]

I am overwhelmingly shocked by this! You here all the items on the news about the state of our education system and our exam boards making things too easy, but I think that wiring a plug is still something everyone should be able to do, if not just to be safe! Grrrrr. And especially in an Electronic Products GCSE!!! ;) I think it's quite sad actually. Oh well. Little me moaning ain't gonna change anything.

[/grumpy old man's hat]

I know this is turning into a rant but...

Everything that I have learnt that may be useful to to me electronics wise in the future hasn't been from the GCSE but rather from TBR and it's amazing collective knowledge.

A couple of examples:

Power Factors

RCD/MCB's

Electronics Regs (There has been NO reference to the dangers of working with electronics in my classes)

Plus many other things that I never would have known apart from this Forum and my inquisitive mind.

The most complex thing I have done in class has been soldering fiddly pins on a crowded PCB (Just like soldering LEMOs)

I feel it has done no good for someone like me who wants to be a Touring LX/Sparky full time when I am older.

Josh

I thought you were meant ot have a qualified electrision rewire plugs, I can do it but we are just not supposed to...(I have only done it once at school because of an emergancy... i.e. the afternoon before the opening show we realsie we need a 5 Amp extension)

Incidentally, I was also shown by my dad when I was quite young, but I have also recently been taught as part of our GCSE physics course - does this mean no-one does the same course as me or does no-one do science anymore?

Yes, I was taught in physics a few months ago and my Dad showed me, too.

Our Technical Director showed us how to wire plugs; now most of the extension cables in our theatre are made by me XD

(That said, a friend of mine wired a plug with Live going to Ground!!! Luckily we noticed)

Archived