Working lights

Ian_P

I've seen a standard (plastic) desk lamp literally melt and catch fire due to having a dark blue gel gaffered to the front of it.  I imagine it was getting too hot inside the lamp enclosure.

Yes, that combined with Gafa melting!

It produces the most horrible smell and gets all sticky

Having said this I'd been doing it all my life and only ever seen it happen once!

Sam

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a matter of interest, is there any reason why one cannot use UV (ie Blacklight tubes) in a lighting box or in the wings??

It can be very useful as it is not bright to 'outsiders', but any white glows very well and clearly - so you can mark things with white stickers and biro etc.

David

spill, if UV light spills its going to look horriable, a bit of blue never really hurt anyone but UV looks horriable where its not wanted, because it has a habit of making everything glow, ususally including very embarased actors underware

As a matter of interest, is there any reason why one cannot use UV (ie Blacklight tubes) in a lighting box or in the wings??

There's nothing to say that you can't if you really want to - but it's not much good as working light. A medium/dark blue is usually best - either in a small fresnel giving a general wash across the whole wing, or in a series of clip-on inspection lamps or bulkhead fittings on the wall of the stage.

From a H&S point of view of gel on lanterns/lamps its the same as with anything H&S related, as long as you think about the possible risks and act on them if necessary there will be no problem.

As for UV what do you do if you drop something dark coloured in the wings? I'm not a great fan of reading things on white paper lit by UV either.

*idea* how about some deep blue rope light, especially nice if you could get some that you could dim somehow, maybe via a domestic dimmer switch or something? I imagine this would be a nice evenly distrobuted light....

[edit to remove stupidity] all rope light is dimmable, is it not?

*idea* how about some deep blue rope light, especially nice if you could get some that you could dim somehow, maybe via a domestic dimmer switch or something? I imagine this would be a nice evenly distrobuted light....

Hey,

That would be good to put round the prompt desk!! As long as it doesn't twinkle or flash that could be really annoying.

Sometimes I think its weird when I'm not reading in the dark with a small desk lamp covered with dark blue gel! Maybe I should rig one up on my desk at home just so I can feel 'at home'

Sam

We just had a show that used Anytronics Lightwire, it made a good effect, but looked a bit weird with the dips having an eerie blue glow to the edges. not convinced wether it would cast enough light to be of any use for anything other than marking out a pathway though.

Birdies are the way forward for show working light. You can choose the wattage and angle to suit your needs, you can choose what gel you want, they are small and will not get in the way and finally they look great!! (also they are quite cheep!)

yep we use birdies in the wings they work great and if you really wanted to bother you could get barn doors too.

what about this idea for portable ones?

I got 8 of these put gromets and artic style cable on it, and then a load of ES screw blue bulbs (about 25w) and put them in it... hooked it up to a spare dimmer channel, or you could hook it straight into a 13 amp plug to get great set of very directonal working lights ideal for putting on the floor behind a set, or screwing or hooking to the wall to point downwards. I will be making another set of these up soon too.

Guest lightnix

Here's an idea: Why not get a blue 1 watt Luxeon Star LED from luxeonstar.com, along with a Micro Puck driver. It runs off just 3 volts and the beam spread on a naked LS is a mighty 140° - great for a nice wide pool of light from a short throw. I'm not sure of the runtime yet, though.

I got bored one afternoon a few weeks ago and managed to stuff a 1 watt white LS and Micro Puck into the head of a Mini Maglite. Took a bit of filing down of the reflector and LS heatsink, mind you, but the result is just great - lights up half our (tiny) lounge. I'm thinking of knocking up a few battery powered LS lights in small boxes with a magnet on the back for the festival stall this summer. Just need to find the time...

thats the one - bit of gel and that is what I was on about.

we tend to use 40w lamps with gel rigged up to an independent to get the same result installed. nice

cheers

andrew

a but we didn't use gel, we used colour bulbs. I checked and they are actually 40w blue ES screw bulbs. I can't for the life of me find out where they are from though.

but yeah, hook them up and you have a great string of lights for floor ways, or, put one at the top of the prompt desk to get a good reading light....

Archived