Working lights

Ian_P

All,

I am looking to replace a set of working lights that I use to put a little glow into the wings so actors and crew can see. At present, I use standard white plastic bayonet holders with blue gel gaffered onto them. These are then wired in a long line back to a socket. 25W pygmy lamps complete this set-up.

This works, but I feel a neater job could be done, and I keep breaking them, as well as they look rubbish. The requirements are:

Neat and small with the ability to mask the light so it doesn't glow onto stage, but glows down.

Ability to add or subtract units easily.

Easy to quickly hang up on a get in.

Robust and preferably not made of plastic.

Your comments, ideas and thoughts will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you got any spare 300-650w lanterns kicking about that aren't be used on the rig?

If so you can hang these were ever you can get power to them, put in some L120 (or similar) and blackwrap the spill light out.

Just an idea (one I use quite often)

Stu

you could always get some festoon lighting, (just not the bright yellow stuff! well that'd be 110v anyway so really dont get that) just an idea, of course youd want to change the bulbs for something a 'little' less powerful :angry:

hi, have you tried...

desk lamps with blue lamps in them - the lamps are about 25 watts and last a while.

depending on the size of backstage wings, you could use some minims with barn doors on low and with l181 in them.

or use those outdoor lights [cubic like, rectangles - seen above doors as exit signs] with blue gel over the coverabove the working area.

cheers

andrew

Inspection lamps like this one are good for wing workers - you can wrap some colour around the cage to dull them down, or use blackwrap and mask them off to avoid spill. Having a few anglepoises around for props table, etc. is also a good idea, with an assortment of blue bulbs and low-wattage pygmy bulbs. And a knackered old fresnel that's no use for anything else is just the job for general wing illumination - rig it in the wing downstage as high as possible, put a bit of 119 in front of it, job done! (You might need to mask it off the stage a little bit if the set's fairly open ...)

Birdies are the way forward for show working light. You can choose the wattage and angle to suit your needs, you can choose what gel you want, they are small and will not get in the way and finally they look great!! (also they are quite cheep!)

with blue gel gaffered onto them

I tried to do this in a production and got a right ticking off from the Technical Manager ;) <_< cause it is majorly against Health and safety. I was told under no circumstances to do it any where in the Theatre!!

Sam

Why? Saying something is against health and safety is no use to anyone. I find it hard to believe that the health and safety at work act contains a clause saying you shouldnt stick blue gell to lamps/lanterns.

I am not blaming sam as I know he was just repeating what his TM said but this has got to be one of my worst pet hates...sorry. :angry:

Archived