Working lights

Ian_P

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*idea* how about some deep blue rope light, especially nice if you could get some that you could dim somehow, maybe via a domestic dimmer switch or something? I imagine this would be a nice evenly distrobuted light....

[edit to remove stupidity] all rope light is dimmable, is it not?

Eh No some rope lights have got chase units in them or transformers which can not be dimmed might get a big bang from your dimmers !

good idea though!, if you use 230v dura light or rope light with a dimmable transformer that would work !

We use m16 birdies in our wings work a treat and you can gel them up and point them to where ever !

;)

ive never come across anything other than mains voltage ropelight, seen some 110 but that was just wired in series for UK use, true I guess it would be a good idea to get some without the flash functions etc:P

www.tlc-direct.co.uk (great company - good value) stock rope lights with transformers and rope light without (and with/without chase)..

you'll never believe it but I have just been asked to get a 8m length of white and another 8m of red ropelight and hook it up to two dimmers for marking out the edge of the stage though (for either red or white light), not backstage though...

oh well, ;)

** laughs out loud **, weve done that on a flat before, they wanted to create some wierd paterns, kept telling them it would look terrible, did they believe me?

slightly off topic, anyone else remember seeing a very strong very flexible fiber optic designed for marking routes in emergency situations? I think I saw it on tomorrows world a couple of years ago, well quite a few, it was designed for use by the fire n rescue service I think

You can get from disco-type-suppliers some good, cheap, metal-cased 4' fluoro units that are sold for putting UV tubes, and put some blue gel (L119/120) inside. We found they are more resistant to knocks from scenery and more directional than open fluoro fittings and much cheaper than enclosed IP56-type fluoro fittings.

See http://www.electrovision.co.uk/soundlab/pa...blacklight.html for an example.

Ahhh, I didn't notice the price :D

It's Canford, how did you not know it was going to be aspirationally priced?

EDIT: Just looked at the link, and even though I was expecting a Canford price, the actual price still took my breath away...

grrr I hate looking after working lights and as the rest of the departent felt the same way we decided to do something about it! for normal working light we used 8 daylight sodium floods and in the wings for blue workers we used source 4 pars with narow lenses and blue gels. all of this works just great and requires very little time to look after.

I have seen blue rope light used to mark edges of shelves and step edges and it looks great. but a little over the top :D

I use par 16 cans, (birdies) in the wings, and I bought some blue LED lamps for them, they are a narrow flood, and just bright enough for you to see your self around, but not to bright so you get no unwanted fallout casting outside of the wings.

ive also used par 36's with solid blue gells in, these are great for directing onto cue sheats, prop lists ect that are in the wings.

also 1 last note, ive worked in a few venues where there has been emergency exit signs in the wings, above the stage exits, so I just put blue gells over them, works a treat.

vince

failing that get a blue LED torch :D

Archived