Working lights

Ian_P

also 1 last note, ive worked in a few venues where there has been emergency exit signs in the wings, above the stage exits, so I just put blue gells over them, works a treat.

Just make sure its removed before any inspection by the fire officer otherwise you could be looking at having your entertainments licence revoked. Most fire officers will however give you a 'friendly' warning first.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enquired first, and the officer said it was quite safe and legal, as long as the text and image was clearly visable at 15ft and it was.

but yeah thanks for the warning

best off if ya all check this out first if your going to do this.

Just make sure its removed before any inspection by the fire officer otherwise you could be looking at having your entertainments licence revoked. Most fire officers will however give you a 'friendly' warning first

im quite aware of H&S but thanks for the reminder :D

• 2 weeks later...

just a little thing I did that works really well!!!

1. Purchase an Ebuyer USB Light for £1.99, but I recieved the purple cased plasticy version, which I was initially disappointed with, but after actually using it, it provides a really good light, but its slightly bluey-purple, like some of the gels we use backstage on desklamps.

2. Bought some parts (like a PCB usb socket) from rapid electronics and on veroboard made a little circuit with a regulator to make sure I could only suck 5v 100ma through it. Also got a jack plug and an adaptor suitable for this.

3. Bought a standard black project box, and cut the hole in the top for the usb, hole in the back for the jack plug and the switch. I then securly mounted the circuit board and made sure the usb socket was fixed (the LED light's weight is held in by this only).

4. Put a small 500g weight in the bottom of the box, and screwed the box up.

I now have a neat little box with interchangeable lights and you can even to some extent dim the led through the regulater's VR on the circuit board inside, but be careful you don't fry any other USB devices you power with it. It will power most standard usb devices like the usb light, or optical mice (obviously only to check they work as you can't actually use it through it :o).

so, it works really well as you have a strong base and you can position the light very well with its LED output it isn't too bright, power consuming or hot!

it cost me about £10 to put together but you coulprobably scavenge parts (the box alone cost a few quid, the light cost ~£2.20).

works really well, and is great :o

what do you think?

computer

Archived