A&H mixers!

ljstevens

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another thumbs up for A&H, techincal support is 2nd to none, used to be a soundcraft user, had issues with a power supply, after endless phone calls, emails, got no where fast, wouldnt go back there!

Had an issue on my GL4000, with what turned out to be a ground that had worked loose on the buss bar, it was from the midi control board, and it so happened over easter weekend when I was doing a 4 day happy-clappy session, I dropped an message on here to see if anyone had had this before, got an email from carey, and an hour later he was phoning me on a bank holiday friday helping me out over the phone (he was the only one in), well eventually after a couple of calls we tracked it down, but what can I say, what outstanding support, the desk is like 10 years old, im the 2nd owner, carey got nothing from helping me other than keeping me happy, and giving me real 101% faith in A&H's support.

I wonder if any other desk makers offer this level of support?

hope this helps

Dan

I'll back that up. I needed to change a bulb of all things in a ML3000 and the guy from allen & heath technical guided me through it over the phone. Most companies would just tell you to get on with it.

Overall I like A&H boards, they have great features for the money and for the cost they sound great. My one current niggle is the dedicated stereo send on the higher priced GL's. I'd rather just be able to use my two sends seperately. However, I've used A&H boards for years on both amateur and pro gigs and never had a problem on a gig. The only trouble I see about them now is that you can get a Yamaha LS9-32 with all the features of a digital board for £6.5K+VAT which puts them in the upper GL price range, in this scenario I'd buy the Yamaha.

The ML series is a good set of boards and once again for the price they have a good set of features but I think I prefer the Soundcraft MH series here or a Yamaha M7CL. None of the boards really match Midas for the sound and quality but then I don't think they ever were meant to and the price certainly reflects this, the functions you get on the ML5000 are significantly more than the functions you get on the equivalent price Midas. All round if someone wants to give me a Midas to work on brilliant but I'm not going to kick up a stink if they give me an ML.

I own a GL2400 and love it! I find the sound quality very high indeed, and I've never had a problem with it, definately the best purchase I have ever made.

I've heard A&H get a lot of abuse, problems such as high floor noise and eq's with bad resolution. I've never experienced such problems, and I'm yet to be given an example of them either.

hi all

I agree with rich I have just bought a GL2400 and its fantstic, fare fare better then the soundcraft GB range, but the old GL2200 was no way as good. As you said the eq's weren't great and the fx returns were a bit weird. But I think they've done alot of work with the preamps and eq and its a great little desk.

Alex

I'll back that up. I needed to change a bulb of all things in a ML3000 and the guy from allen & heath technical guided me through it over the phone. Most companies would just tell you to get on with it.

How many sound engineers does it take to change a lightbulb.....

None... just get Basil Brush :D

Sorry.... couldn't resist.

How many sound engineers does it take to change a lightbulb.....

None... just get Basil Brush :D

Sorry.... couldn't resist.

Have you ever tried to change one of the bulbs in a meter bridge on those things? you have to pull the entire meter bridge apart! Oh and I won't normally change your lightbulbs thats a lampies job!

I have to say that I've been using someone elses A&H Mizwiz 14:4:2 for a couple of nights and it's got some infuriating niggles:

Headphone socket at top, meaning my lead comes across the desk catching on faders and everything else.

Assign buttons are complety obscured by faders at normal mixing levels

Once you've channel taped you've covered the only numbering for the channels. numbering at the top as well would make life easier.

Mute led's are very dim in moderate light and the buttons don't depress significantly enough to distinguish a muted or unmuted channel

I do like the 48v on each channel though, and the number of auxes

We've got an ML3000, three years old which has been giving us problems for the last year or so. Not very impressed really...
Your post really surprised me. I've repaired a fair few desks from just about every major manufacturer and can honestly say A&H not only have very high build quality but are in my opinion the easiest to fault find and repair of the lot. Sorry to be blunt but I would seriously look at the competence of whoever did the repair, I know intermittent faults can be a pain in the arse but it's hardly rocket science. From the information you have given and knowing the layout of the desk it sounds likely that it's a pretty quick (and cheep) fix.

I appreciate your bluntness! Perhaps the dealer who supplied our ML3000 hasn't got very good technical back up. If you could suggest what you think the problem might be, that would be useful - that would enable me to go back to them with something solid - or maybe you could suggest someone local to bristol who are good at repairing A&H stuff!?

I hired a a&h mixwizard 16:2 last w/e (to replace a beheringer 2442fx pro) and the diff. in sound quality was amazing.

4 channel eq is one of the keys to this esp. for guitar eqing. the desk just felt so solid. couple that with some very quite pre-amps and you've got a winner.....

I had been thinking of getting a spirit fx16, but am now very sold on the a&h (unless someone on this board thinks that's a bad choice). the 4-channel eq is the clincher for me.

no subs though, but liveable with in a small band situation.....

nick

Having praised the GLs, I suppose I do have to question the sanity of a 32 channel desk with only four subgroups.
Hmmm...

Our (4-yr old) GL3300/32ch has 8 subs/aux...

Agree withe everything said thus far, though - excellent desk - only problem we've had is that some numpty (unidentified as they didn't own up!) dropped something heavy onto the desk a couple of years back and dented one of the fader panels. Hasn't affected the functionality, and never managed to find time for a repair!

A rather illustrious West End J-type afficionado I know recently scored a series of digital desks like this during a group test (best to worst):

1. Soundcraft Vi6

2. A&H iLive

3. Yamaha M7CL

4. Digico D5

5. Digidesign Venue

So the iLive appears to hold its own very well indeed. He was quite surprised by that.... :P

A rather illustrious West End J-type afficionado I know recently scored a series of digital desks like this during a group test (best to worst):

<snip>

I'd be curious to know the criteria used. For example, I love the feature set on the Vi6, but am far less keen on it's tendency to crash from time to time! It's also worth noting this is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison considering the wide range of list prices. There's no way the M7CL is in the same market (or price range) as the Vi6!

....and, if this side of the discussion develops, don't be surprised if I split it off into a separate thread!

Bob

Archived