Positioning of lights in Schools

Jambo_UK

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have been doing the Lighting, Sound & Video for all aspects of my school, from conferences to major productions since year seven.

During early years, from 12 to 14 I worked with the technical manager, & she would go up the scaff tower to position the lighting and any other equipment needing to be mounted / cabling run ETC.

Now my role is Technical Management, and im in my final year and about to leave, however since year 9 I have been able to manage every aspect, from wiring plugs, to an entire instalation!

As common sence, I will always ask the Ex-Techmanager to go up the scaff tower for me to avoid any injuries etc, But if she is away, and the job needs doing I will work with the site manager with me during rigging.

Hi all,

Just to give my situation:

Our 'tech' teacher who has years of experience in rigging and doing various shows, was requested to go on a 'Working at Heights' course this Easter.

He had to sign a document to say he'd never climb a ladder again inschool unless he was observed by another adult. So yes, every time he needs to tinker with the rig, he has to get a maintenence guy from the other side of the school.

New amendments to the school insurance policy, no one who hasn't been on a W@H can climb a ladder or for that matter be on a platform over about 1m (yes 1m) high, without a handrail or steps.

So what a load of codswallop. And the shool didn't even think to put me on the course too (then we could have watched each other)!

oh well.

...He had to sign a document to say he'd never climb a ladder again inschool unless he was observed by another adult.

And?... Everybody knows that you shouldn't be working at height alone and when it comes to schools, specifying a competent adult over pupils would generally seem like a pretty good idea.

As far as making him sign off on it his employers (i.e. the school) have a responsibility to ensure he is adequately trained to carry out his job. Sending him on a course and getting his signature on an agreed method statement ensure not only that he knows how to do it safely but also covers the school to an extent should he then go and fall off a ladder (generally speaking).

So what a load of codswallop. And the shool didn't even think to put me on the course too (then we could have watched each other)!

And why would they? Your profile says you're year 11 so that's 15/16 years old which means you couldn't supervise your tech teacher up a ladder as you presumably wouldn't class as an adult. Equally you're going to leave the school in a months time (or at the most 2 years if you have a 6th form) and those courses aren't cheap, how would the school justify paying all that money for a single student to do a course when there are x hundred more pupils in your year and a limited budget?

At the end of the day a lot of schools and indeed venues have H&S rules which seem overkill, but it's somebodies responsibility to ensure the safety of the pupils / employees / punters and they impose rules as they see fit. If they're impractical or even stupid we only really have three options, either argue your case and try to influence a change in rules, adapt your working practices to fit the rules or ignore them and do the work when the 'H&S NAZI' has his back turned. Rest assured though if you take the latter option and poo does hit the fan you will need a very good defence lawyer.

At least that's how I see it.

Archived