Positioning of lights in Schools

Jambo_UK

Im not aloud to go up the tallerscope at college/uni without supervision from the college technician due to health and safty.. and I can only go up to the standard height so no raising it higher.. even though ive been doing it for 4 years now...

xx

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm my school was very strict on safety, I actully did the scafold course, so was allowed to rig and climb it.

however I still had to have another trained person in the room with me.

as far as electrical practice goes, students are not allowed to take part in any form!!

its exempt from insurance.

also teachers are not alowed to carry out electrical tasks even things like putting plugs on items, it all has to be carried out by a site electrician.

also a student shouldnt be left alone in any room, in any school, alone. this is also Law

students are not allowed on ladders of any height, ( I know this as I did it in year 10, fell of and broke my Arm, and the school got a right bollocking!!

I also had to fill in loads of forms, and no Compo!!!

your right in the fact that there are not enough trainned persons within schools, we only had 2 sparkys, and nobody knew about lighting or PA, thats why I took the role on myself. And did everything apart from putting on plugs, and climbing the ladders (scaff is different rules to ladders)

vince

students are not allowed on ladders of any height, ( I know this as I did it in year 10, fell of and broke my Arm, and the school got a right bollocking!!

I also had to fill in loads of forms, and no Compo!!!

I know it seems fashionable in this day of age to sue anyone you can for compensation, but a) would you really want to b) would you have grounds for doing so?

obviously the thought of lots of money would be a good factor for suing, but that brings other implications, like (say you were a freelancer on a job and you sued) you'd probably never work at that venue again, word would get out to other peoples in the industry and they would be reluctant to employ you. When you fell at school, did any of the teachers know you were going up the ladder? was there someone footing it? was it negligance on someone elses behalf the reason that you fell? If you did make a claim and it got turned down then I think all the above is a no, but the school like you say would have still gotten a bollocking because of the accident.

I'm by no means having a go at you personally, just the whole break a finger nail and sue routine which seems to be catching on can be quite tedious... I mean accidents happen, but that is purely what they are... accidents.

Just on a sideline

A young person is someone who is under 18 years of age. Anybody under this age should normally not operate heavy machinery or high voltage equipment.

It is highly unlikely that a young person would be sufficiently competent to be considered as a “competent person†for the purpose of carrying out examinations or inspections of lifting or electrical equipment or the planning and supervision of use of such equipment.

At my upper school, I fancied doing something for the school play, but with out the acting, so I was told I could do the lighting (and here I am today) but, thing is, they got the hired equipment in and left it in a corner and sed, urm, yeah, put this together, luckily it went together as easy as a jigsaw, but teh again this is when I was 16, when a light didn't work, I hit the dimmer (ouch, and relating to the above quote), they were really strict on the height side of things, i.e. wasn't alowd to set one foot up the tower, but 3 phase electric, they mights aswell have given me a bare wire plug and sed play.

anyway, random rant over

sorry

Our school is getting a lighting tower for us to use, we have 4 of us under 18 and we are going on a h and s course in all aspects of lighting, sound, rigging etc so we can use the tower under supervision to move lights etc

Daniel

we are going on a h and s course

Do you know where you are going to do the course Dan? and who runs then? because so far I have find nothing about actual course only lealfefts about the trades like building and the use of towers.

Thank again

from

Jambo

know it seems fashionable in this day of age to sue anyone you can for compensation, but a) would you really want to b) would you have grounds for doing so?

I think you have got what I said a bit round your neck, I should have made it clearer Sorry

I didnt claim, I was just stating the fact that you couldnt.

not that I did, and got nothing

also I wasnt in the room alone the teacher was footing the ladder B-)

and the ladder colapsed.................** laughs out loud **

so nobodys fault.

According to which piece of legislation. How do the lavatories operate under this Law???

its true, nobody can be left unsupervised in a room, So good point about the loos, ill ask my mother about that she works within the education sectre

vince

know it seems fashionable in this day of age to sue anyone you can for compensation, but a) would you really want to b) would you have grounds for doing so?

I didnt claim, I was just stating the fact that you couldnt.

also I wasnt in the room alone the teacher was footing the ladder

and the ladder colapsed.................** laughs out loud **

so nobodys fault.

According to which piece of legislation. How do the lavatories operate under this Law???

its true, nobody can be left unsupervised in a room, So good point about the loos, ill ask my mother about that she works within the education sectre

Given that you were a pupil under the care of the school, I'm sure you could indeed bring a legal action against them for their negligence in providing the said unsafe piece of equipment, and for knowingly allowing you to use it. Not that I agree with the emerging compensation culture in many cases.

As for being alone, I asked in which piece of legislation this is mentioned...

umm.. ceiling mounted T-bars? can you give me an idea as to how that looks?

Here is a link to the photo, http://www.crawleyexplorerscouts.co.uk/images/a1.jpg was not sure if I could just post the image in, Warning this is a big file and may take a while on dial up, :unsure:

thanks again everyone for the advice,

from

Jambo

Archived