Asleep at the Wheel

b1nuzz

Asleep at the Wheel  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Have you fallen asleep at the wheel on the way back from a gig?

• Yes
    • No
    • Somene who was driving me did
    • Dont know, i was already asleep!

Just wondered this as I drove back from a gig last night, I had to kip in the services at 3 in the morning to stop myslf ending up in the ditch.

It interests me to know how others are affected by it, and what they do when it happens.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wondered this as I drove back from a gig last night, I had to kip in the services at 3 in the morning to stop myself ending up in the ditch.

I didn't vote as I have fallen asleep at the wheel, and been in a vehicle when someone else fell asleep, and have parked up to sleep at a service station then woke up (whilst dreaming I was still driving). I saw a brick wall in front of me, and did an 'emergency stop', whilst pulling the steering very hard indeed. I was so convinced that it was real, that I suffered from shock afterwards, and bent the steering wheel.

To get round falling asleep, I will now pull off the road and kip. Coffee doesn't do much for me, except give an excuse to pee at the next services...

When travelling once in a 7.5tonner, the driver fell asleep. To add to the fun, we were in freezing fog at 3am on the M1. I woke him up and offered to drive. It probably saved my life.....

Simon

Not done it yet but have had a few moments of 'droopy eyelids' (at which point you get off the road as fast as possible and get some air).

My personal preventative emergency kit consists of a couple of cans of red bull in the glove box. The chemicals do seem to work to keep you alert for an hour or so.

Best solution is the 'relief crew' so that you can b*gg*r off as soon as the gig is finished and get home alive! Often difficult to justify this to the client, though...

As a side thought, who has fallen asleep while 'driving' at the sound or lighting console???

Steve

Someone I used to work for fatally crashed his car on the way home from a gig. We don't know if he was asleep for sure, but it was 4am and it seems likely. This is one of the things I feel very, very strongly about, and in some ways is a reason that I'm glad that I don't drive.

Driving home late after a long gig is a very, very bad idea. Go to a Travelodge and sleep properly. I know you want to get home but the risk isn't worth it. Also: Don't book gigs so close to each other that you have to do it. Just don't. I'll say again: the risk is not worth it.

As a side thought, who has fallen asleep while 'driving' at the sound or lighting console???

Yeah, 3am on the dress rehearsal of a student production of The Crucible, I had six sound cues throughout the entire 3 hour play. My amp rack was just the right height to rest my arms on - head on arms, very comfortably asleep! Our sound effects operator also fell asleep one panto show - the other sound op (don't ask why we had a seperate SFX op, it's a long story!) chucked a roll of LX tape at him, he woke up and pushed PLAY right on cue :rolleyes:

Back to the original question; I've not had an episode of sleepiness at the wheel after a late-night gig, but I tend to find if I'm driving long distances I get sleepy, but not for lack of sleep. I find that a quick walk and some fresh air usually fixes the problem, or food can help too.

I've never fallen asleep while moving in a car... the odd red traffic light however.

I slept through half a gig on the bus one night in manchester, the singer very nicely noticed that I'd returned and taken over the desk again. Didn't get to the end of that tour - can't think why :rolleyes:

Ah.

No to the driving poll, but yes to the sound desk, twice.

First time I just dropped off on FOH until the LD poured water down my back.

Second time I was on mons, dropped something on the floor & had to crawl under the desk to get it. Next I knew, the band was packed away, all the stage was dark & I had almost been locked in!

Both during a prolonged period of short staffing during which I seemed to do 20 or so 14/16 hour days in a row. I lived close enough to be walking home every night, or I probably would have had a problem with the driving too.

falling asleep whilst riding a motorcycle is an interesting experience, The fact the bike tries to fall over tends to wake you very quickly but please don't try.

I now have a very close relationship with the first lay-by on the A11 after the motorway a much better alternative.

As has been discussed before on this forum falling asleep at the wheel is undoubtedly the biggest killer in this industry most of us who have been around a few years know someone who has died this way. In my case I've known four people go this way.

You always need to have a plan B the show doesn't need to go on at any price.

As has been discussed before on this forum falling asleep at the wheel is undoubtedly the biggest killer in this industry...

... You always need to have a plan B the show doesn't need to go on at any price.

And what has been mentioned a few times, there's always the lay-bys you can stop in. That's what they're there for!

And to be perfectly honest, I've slept in my car plenty a time when I've just been too tired to carry on driving. I'd rather have a few hours proper sleep than a 15-20 min "coffee break" style sleep/nap and risk crashing because I'm too tired.

After one incident of nearly driving head-on into another vehicle after a night-shift, I know what it's like and I've not pushed myself like that since.

I'll say again: the risk is not worth it.

And anyway, doesn't this come back down the H&S regs and working hours debate?? If you're working super-duper long shifts, maybe because of staff shortages, then surely the onus is on you to say "No."? (Note the full stop to add emphasis on the word). Plenty of threads on here, in the Safety forum, about workings hours...

During my final contract working on ship I regularly fell asleep at the console.

12-14-hour days every day for almost two months will do that - we spent a lot of time one man down after a ladder accident, doing cruises that were too short for the number of events we were supposed to handle.

Thankfully, the console had a key lock so I could put a pillow on top of it and get a bit of rest.

Slightly :stagecrew:, when I was a student, my flatmate (a very talented musician) earned a few pennies by playing in lots of bands. In particular, he played with a number of jazz and brass bands on fri/sat night, and also played organ in a church on sunday morning.

The saturday night gigs usually involved very late nights and lots of alcohol.

One sunday he's playing organ in the church. Only had a couple of hours sleep, and very hung over. During the sermon he drifted off to sleep.

He woke up when he slid off the organ stool .... and landed on the pedals. The rest of the congregational also woke up at the same time ;)

Heard a tale of a guy (the way all lies start, but this makes sense at least) who was driving a thankfully unloaded recovery trunk along the motorway, way over the hours the law said he should do (and that his log book said he did - recovery van drivers don't have tacco's, yet) when he nodded off, just for half a second a-la nodding dog and woke up to the site of a the front gill of a lorry just in front of him he panicked, leapt on the breaks and jerked the wheel hard left, thus rolling the truck on the verge. He survived just fine, partially because the lorry in question had been on a transporter going the same way as him!

Archived