PLASA 2007

sonic

PLASA 2007  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Blue Room have a stand at next years PLASA?

• Yes
    • No

I just had a thought... and it's probably a stupid thought, but it'd be interesting to see your views on the idea.

Next year at plasa, why doesn't the blue room have a stand - I don't know the logistics of it all, how much it costs etc etc... but we could have a stand with a whole bunch of computers with access to the internet... a bit like at airports.

Then we could have a couple of BR reps there to talk about what the blue room is and how to become a member... and if we had our own bar - we could have a blue room meet up - EVERY DAY!!!

On top of this - there would be a possibility of an exciting new lanyard... all the new kids say 'oooooh'! ;)

We could perhaps pay for the stand by charging a small amount to use the internet and if we do make more money than we have to pay, it can go towards charity... what do people think???

Yes... but...

- You can already access a computer/internet from the Central Bar.

- It costs a fortune (somebody mentioned at least £250/sq.m.) - but maybe it could be sponsored.

- I met at least 2 BR staff/mods this year, both were busy on other stands already. I'm sure the same could be said for others.

- Would it get much attention unless it was in a prime spot?

Don't know... but it's a nice idea though.

Umm - do you have any idea how much that would cost?

I've no idea how much plasa would charge, but the last time I was at a trade show (outside London, much smaller scale than plasa) the cheapest stand rent was around 3000 pounds for the bare shell. On top of that, you've then got to supply the stand fittings and graphics, pay for net access etc etc.

Those sort of fees are peanuts in the commercial world, but unrealistic in our scenario.

I doubt you'd make a profit by charging for internet access ;)

On the other hand, NEET managed to get a stand.... don't know whether that was via sponsorship or a "special deal"...

The NEET stand space was very kindly donated by Clarion Events, who organise the show, and PLASA. Without their support it wouldn't have happened as the costs mentioned above aren't far off the mark.

The trussing, AV equipment, MACs and other LX gear was all provided by companies within the industry who lent it to NEET for the show.

And, given that we give any monies in excess of our costs to charity, it would be taking money from the charities we support, in effect.

Obviously, if any kind sponsor wished to donate some stand space and maybe a PC, a plasma screen and some internet access, it might work....

The NEET stand space was very kindly donated by Clarion Events, who organise the show, and PLASA. Without their support it wouldn't have happened as the costs mentioned above aren't far off the mark.

Maybe NEET could include a bit of space at their next exhibition for a bit of promotion for the BR.....

After all, several NEET members and (I believe) contributors are members of the Blue Room as well..

NEET strikes me as infinitely more saleable as a freebie than the BR would be.

Just a thought.

Guest lightnix

I asked back in 2003 what a stand for Wavicle would cost and the answer came back as £235/m² ;) if we became PLASA members; I can't remember what the cost to non-members was, but it was higher. One company I was chatting with said their stand cost around £10,000, that PLASA was one of the most expensive shows they attended and that some of the largest stands cost around £¼ million in all.

So I've voted "No", but agree that it would be nice if the Blue Room could establish some kind of firmer presence at PLASA. However, as Bryson points out, we need to avoid blowing our charity donations.

My €0.02...

Most simply, I reckon that in future years the Get Together should be an ongoing thing throughout the show. It seemed a bit odd that this year, that the GT was set for the date when least people were visiting, apparently for the reason that, "we always do it on the last day" ;) Maybe The Tournament could be persuaded to reserve a table for the Blue Room throughout the whole of PLASA, on the grounds that (according to the 2006 poll) there could be about 80+ customers in it for them over the course of the show.

I wonder if PLASA would allow the Blue Room to hand out flyers at the exhibition next year and donate a couple of tickets to needier members who volunteered for the job (and who would probably have to be over-18s - sorry). Alternatively, maybe some of our corporate members could be persuaded to carry BR flyers (if the printing costs weren't too high).

I also wonder whether it would be additionally possible to get permission to collect some money for our nominated charity on one or more days, although I'm not sure what the legal requirements would be and there would also be the issue of keeping the cash secure, counting it up and paying it in somewhere :)

I wonder if PLASA would allow the Blue Room to hand out flyers at the exhibition next year and donate a couple of tickets to needier members who volunteered for the job (and who would probably have to be over-18s - sorry).

This sounds a better idea;

I've not paid for PLASA tickets in years - there are ALWAYS suppliers who have freebies to give out to their customers - so getting free tickets wouldn't be a huge issue.

...Alternatively, maybe some of our corporate members could be persuaded to carry BR flyers (if the printing costs weren't too high)...

Printing costs don't need to at all high... I used to be a printer, and the amount of jobs that are done on the sly using the facilities and paper already in the press room is incredible.

You just need to make friends with the Repro team and your sorted! So we could probably find a company somewhere - I don't mind asking my ex collegues... but I can't garuntee it'll happen next year.

I also like the idea of teaming up with NEAT... I'm fairly sure we can find enough equipment to pull it off... I think most of us started in Am Dram, so you'll remember the good old 'Beg, Borrow and steal' routine before paying for anything!

Do you really think the BR needs more promotion? I think word of mouth as has been going on so far is much more effective than handing out flyers at trade shows - you'd probably find the BR would just get another swarm of teenage bedroom DJs adding to their membership (not meaning that in a derogatory way of course :rolleyes: ).

Archived