Avolites Launch New Pearl

johnhuson

I think it might be misleading to suggest the software on the 2008 isn't going anywhere. It is true that the 2000/4/8 uses a Motorola processor that is now struggling mainly with the influx of LED fixtures and their control requirements. It is also true that there is limited codespace for the program and this is making the addition of more features ever harder. These are obviously why the need to develop new hardware came about. But the launch of the 2008 is partly to reassure users that support will continue for the older hardware. I am sure that bug fixes will continue and improvements will still be made where possible.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dont think anyone answered the question about compatability but ill answer it sorry if this is repeat info one of the avolites people told me that they were fully compatable in both directions and that applies to all desks that were compatable with the pearl already. The only issue is that if you go expert to any of the others you lose anything saved in the last 5 preset banks.

niclights:

I'd just like to point out that the Avolites Visualiser is built in to the console. To get to it, you need to hold down the Avolites key, and an option labeled "Show Vis" will be displayed on the LCD screen. If you select that option then the vis will load up, and all fixtures will be autopatched into the visualiser.

Edit: This is for the Pearl Expert.

Cougar:

I can confirm that the Pearls and Pearl Experts are compatible in both directions. However they are only compatible when the Pearls are running on up to date software (V1.20)

If you do transfer a show from a Pearl Expert to a Pearl the last 5 cues on every page will be lost.

OK this whole Vis thing is getting a bit confusing, so let me clear it up.

Pearl Expert - The visualiser runs on the console without the need for an external computer and can be shown from the Avo menu. It supports auto-patching. When you run the visualiser it is shown in a seperate window with the standard Pearl VDU screen.

Pearl 2008 - Currently this is the same as the old Pearl 2004, however in the planned software release (yes we are continuing development on this software) you will have the ability to connect the desk to a PC via the USB port and connect to Visualiser running on a seperate PC. This will also have the ability to auto-patch visualiser.

I hope this clears things up and does not just complicate things more!

Thanks Olie. I was confused myself. I was sure after speaking to yourself and Mr. Gibbon that it was not yet internal on the Expert. Doh!

Anyhoo, now is clear and is of course a wonderful thing!

The confusion won't have been helped by the fact that the visualisers on the PLASA stand were all running on a separate PC regardless of the ability to run internally. (The main reason being that the Expert only has one VGA output, and on the show floor we wanted each console to have the same screen layout of visualiser on the right screen and console control on the left with any media stuff in the middle. A few people'll have seen the feature demonstrated to them though.

Mumbles - split pages could be possible in the future on the D4, but since there isn't actually a button to do so it might be tricky. The simple solution is to record busking playbacks and specials onto presets - it's what happens on many of the D4 tours and festivals where it's used.

2008 - Currently this is the same as the old Pearl 2004, however in the planned software release (yes we are continuing development on this software) you will have the ability to connect the desk to a PC via the USB port and connect to Visualiser running on a seperate PC. This will also have the ability to auto-patch visualiser.

Hi Ollie,

Any indication of when this release is likely to be made available?

• 4 months later...

I've been testing the Expert for a few months now & can't recommend it enough. All who have used it have also been impressed. It should now be, or imminently be, available.

However, I think they are not comparable. Not only are they different style consoles but their capability and price are in two different leagues. You might compare GrandMA and D4, but not MA & Pearl.

Think of the Expert as a faster Pearl with a slightly enhanced control surface, which retains the familiar layout and buskability safely for the foreseeable future.

• 5 months later...

Right, after having read all of this and various other sources I have never really understood what the problems are that people appear to have with the cue stack on the Pearl. Having never used the stack feature in anger, could someone please explain the problems with it? Is it purely a speed issue? More importantly, have all the "problems" been resolved in the Pearl Expert? Would you trust/recommend the pearl expert in a truly "multipurpose" venue (theatre/dance/awards/gigs etc.).

Thanks,

David

I cannot really answer about use in theatres. I never use Theatre Stack mode although there's no reason why you cant just stack unlinked cues on a playback, each with its own timings and with Go/back/manual override by wheel etc. You can also program numerically should you wish.

I have always assumed it is simply that it is more awkward to setup/use in the traditional theatre style compared to a board that is more naturally geared in that direction (ie. Strand/Hog).

Speed certainly is no problem unless you mean programming speed!

As for trust, I do have full confidence in the boards reliability and its potential for the future. It has proven itself for me as the perfect busking board. The 'theatre' issue is the only gray area for me in answering your question.

Tell me about the 'problems' you are interested in and I can tell you if they have been fixed. Essentially the desk is currently running the last 2004 build. I listed known issues here.

Archived