Avolites Launch New Pearl

johnhuson

To sort of hijack this topic, I know that they have added a second row of swop button, to make it easier to access 60 fixtures without the shift button, but have they added another row of 30 palettes?

Apart from this, I like the new ideas they have put in, especially with the split roller.

And to answer Sam's question, I believe that the details aren't being released till PLASA, as the avolites site has no details of the 2008 on it, other than saying it will be being shown at PLASA. And, I love the Pearl, and can see the 2008 being even better, but I've had much more use of a Pearl than any other ML desks so can get more out of it than other desks, until I've spent time learning a new desk.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it sounds awesome I got a leaflet about it with lsi this month! it looks amazin they have moved the master section further up the desk so no catching the grandmaster by accident and resettin all the fixtures! and USB stick saving! looks amazing

sam

There is or was a topic on here somewhere, with a big debate about it, and people chucking there 10 pence worth in all about the expert, havn't got time to find it now, but you might want to have a look!!!

I am going down to PLASA mainly to have a look at the expert, very excited about it, I can imagine I will be one of many going to have a look and a play!!

Tank

There is already a thread regarding this, started by me so hopefully the mods will merge them. Tried to get a look at an expert whilst I was down at PLASA on Thursday during the build but there weren't any around.

From what I am told the 2008 is purely a software upgrade so current 2004's will be able to be upgraded.

according to the literature there's a minor hardware upgrde to the 2008, i.e. USB sockets to attach it to a computer and a socket for a USB key, so no more crap floppy disks, yay!

I just got a bradn new 2004 yesterday, bah! Oh well, it's still a fine desk.

I cannot confirm about the addition of USB host port on the 2008, but otherwise it is an identical desk to the 2004 and all software is fully compatible between 2000/2004/2008 boards.

The main changes to the software are to make use of PC's via USB for visualiser, show saving/loading and software updates. There are also some smaller improvements such as access to upper bank fixtures via upper bank range switch (ie. flashing fixture page) as opposed to holding [shift]. Two definable wheel response curves accessible from quick keys menu and available by hitting attribute a second time (similar to old 8/16bit Pan/Tilt, but for all attributes).

Regarding the expert there is a second row of both Swop and Add buttons and I have been assured that the palettes will be available from both rows (ie 1-60 on one page).

@soundiesam: I find the best assets of the Avo consoles are the familiar layout including presets when the majority of other touring level manufacturers move away from this. This, their familiarity with LD's and buskability are why I choose in preferance to others. In my experience all the complaints from LD's are 99% because they don't fully understand the console and have made mistakes, whether they like it or not! Have a good look at Plasa. Avo have one of the most open, accessible and friendly stands with plenty of consoles running through simulators so you can play as much as you want. (I'm expecting dinner on Monday for that...)

from the avolites website;

Along with Pearl Expert, the Pearl 2004 has been upgraded and is now known as the Pearl 2008 which includes USB memory storage and a USB connection to an external PC giving a wealth of new features.

Sounds like it has a host port to me.

I like the wheel response curves, the wheel response on the 2004 I was playing with tonight was a bit irritating at times, though maybe it's something I'll get used to.

Well, there has been a USB port (not host) for a while and the new software allows saving/loading shows via a PC. So that's why I thought it was still unclear ;)

If you don't like the acceleration of the wheels you can always select Linear which will work as 2000 builds. The new software also has user function to turn off completely.

Just got back from PLASA, and did spend a fair bit of time playing with the expert.

The new features do make it easier to use, and I do like them. The extra palettes, and swop buttons are a very useful addition, as is the split roller and the extra playbacks. Also, the inbuilt visualiser, the hard drive, and the extra processor power make it very nice to use. As well as these features, I was told by one of the Avo staff that a future version of the software would include a colour picker like on the Diamond.

However, I also had demo's on the Diamond 4 Elite, the Vista, and a quick play with a grand MA, so have a different view of the Pearl now anyway. Nonetheless, I love the Pearl, and the expert has a good few features over the 2004.

I suppose what I'm saying is if you're going to PLASA, the expect to spend a fair bit of time on the Avolites stand, especially if you already know the Pearl. ;)

this desk is amazing!!!!!!! and with a price tag of onli 6,500 its amazing I love some of the features espacially with alot of my favoouite avo desk the diamond 4 software intregated into it it is amazing

Are we talking about the expert, or the 2008 having a list price of 6,500? I was told the expert was 7,500 and the 2008 was 6,500.

Also, something I brought up with one of the Avolites staff on sunday, was that the Diamond 4 didnt have a split playback, like the expert, so you could have each half as a different page. Does anyone know if this is something that may be a possible development, or are we going to be stuck with 1 page across all the playbacks? Don't get me wrong about this, I think the desk is really powerful as it is, but just that this would make busking on a diamond easier, like with the expert.

Had a demo on the new Pearl's yesterday by the extremely helpful Avo staff. Having never used a Pearl before I was really impressed with it. A few comments to make that I don't think have been made so far:

The 2008 is indeed a fairly straight upgrade of the 2004, while the expert is all new hardware on the inside. The importance of this is that, as an Avo software developer was telling me, the 2008 software is now pretty much at the limit of the hardware capability - ie. they can't add many more new features, and as such aren't particularly looking too.

The Expert meanwhile is PC based and so has a lot more scope for further development and new features.

In my venue we quiet often have theatre tours in that want their show programmed in by the numbers - this would be problematic with the "hotel numbering" of the channels ("Channel 78 at 50%" - "Er, that'll be Channel 118 then"). A solution to this is being talked about for an "Expert" release, but not for the 2008.

So it seems, if you're planning to save a couple of thousand pounds with the 2008 (and the difference is only that) be aware that the software isn't going anywhere further - not that this would be a problem for many a user, just depends on your application.

Gareth.

Archived