Avolites Launch New Pearl

johnhuson

To hijack the thread a little: Is that a common problem with the Pearl (2004 specifically). I've been told ours gets very chuggy after about 50-100 cues in the cue stack, and in some situations in busking playback.

I've not used it much so can't comment more than that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no experience of stack, but in general the console will slow (response time & max chase speed) as more HTP channels are patched. This is not significant until you get near the desk limit of 240. This is commonly a new problem with the advent of LED. The desk can also slow down after a long programming session, possibly after 'unfolding' chases and making edits. When this occurs it is very obvious as a long (0.5-1sec) delay on flashing a PB. The cure is to reset the console.

The cure is to reset the console.

Reset, as in cycling the power? Or using the reset button on the back? I guess you don't mean clearing it after a big plotting session :D

Any of those options should work. Not sure anyone would want to do a wipe all though!

Just switching the key switch from Program to Run and back again apparently optimises the memory and can clear a lot of un-used stuff out the memory during a heavy programming session. This apparently makes more difference with the 2004 software rather than the older 2000 software.

That's just what I've been told and it seems to work for me!

Fair enough, haven't experienced any siginificant slowing in response on any of our desks, other than the usual clog up after a lot of unfolding chases or photocopying of memories etc. That's apart from trying to run visualiser with the desk but that's another story!

I believe the main concept behind the '2008' software build is to address the visualiser issue via USB. :D

does anyone know how many HTP channels the new Pearl has as this is a major issue I have had with the 2004

Initially this will remain the same (240) for reliability (and compatibility) but with scope for expansion in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

has anybody seen or used a new pearl 2008/ expert or is it out at plasa? I love the pearl 2004 its a great desk they have one at my old college and 12 mac 250+ and it was great! I made some really good lighting presets with desk and I only had 2 hrs of practise on it! my question really what do people think because I know loads of proffesional lighting technicians arnt keen on them what do you all think?

sam

Archived