Enforcing hard hat use

stripey_cat

I know hard hats seem to get a strong reaction, but I couldn't find anything by searching that really covered my situation.

I do amateur lighting for student companies, and there is an enormous problem with cast and the less technical crew wandering about the stage sans hats when we're working at height. The theatre provides them, and I try to always give a safety talk, but that gets ignored, and subsequent reminders (often bellowed from the grid or the box) get dirty looks at best.

I'd like to know what our (ie the LX crew's) position is: if there were an accident, I'd guess that the venue would be in trouble, the society would probably have its Clubs Committee membership and insurance threatened, and the individual technicians might be vulnerable to private (or even criminal - eep) suits. However, I'd guess the muppet under the ladder being shouted at would get off scot-free.

In these circumstances, if they've ignored repeated warnings, is it reasonable to ask that they leave the venue during the get-in/tech?

With one or two directors I know (who are among the worst offenders themselves, and tend to view all techs as jumped-up egomaniacs), this would never be enforced: would it be reasonable to down tools until they sort things out?

Thirdly, would the venue H&S and technical staff have any authority to confine the idiots to the dressing rooms, or throw them out?

Finally (since I don't want a reputation as someone impossible to work with), does anyone have any ideas for de-escalating the situation before it reaches the "them or me" stage? (I'd love to drop a broken lantern on a crash-test dummy as a demo, but don't have either - does anyone know a good, scary training video?)

Thanks,

Kathryn.

In these circumstances, if they've ignored repeated warnings, is it reasonable to ask that they leave the venue during the get-in/tech?

Yes

With one or two directors I know (who are among the worst offenders themselves, and tend to view all techs as jumped-up egomaniacs), this would never be enforced: would it be reasonable to down tools until they sort things out?

Yes

Thirdly, would the venue H&S and technical staff have any authority to confine the idiots to the dressing rooms, or throw them out?

Yes

You might not be popular though. Having said that, popular or safe, it's your choice, I know which I'd prefer.

See also (including some facts about skulls shattering):

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=4256

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=4692

The quick answer is that since PPE is the last resort in the safety hierarchy, and given that the work cannot be done in a safer manner, no-one should be allowed to walk underneath when rigging is taking place.

Barricade the area off, and have people police it.

Drop a shackle pin from 0.5m onto an egg if they want a demonstration ;-)

...would it be reasonable to down tools until they sort things out?...

Yes. Been there.

As well as my paid backstage work I volunteer at a local community theatre. On one show we had a very difficult director so I, and the whole of my backstage crew, walked out on a rehearsal. It was a difficult decision to make but it was early on and I knew we were well ahead of schedule and that there would be no H&S issues with the crew absent. Sometimes you just need to remind people it's a team effort.

I'd love to drop a broken lantern on a crash-test dummy as a demo, but don't have either - does anyone know a good, scary training video?

I am sure I still have a video of one of my crew having a trilight pin droped on his head from 15m in the air when he was not waring a hard hat. I have used it as an exemplar before, I will see if I can dig it out. he was in hospital for a couple of weeks but has since learned his lesson.

Perfectly reasonable. You should certainly be declaring your working area off limits at the very least whilst you're doing overhead work.

As I understand it, any member of venue staff can ask someone to leave the premises. If they refuse, then it becomes trespass. (I am not a lawyer, etc...)

Finally (since I don't want a reputation as someone impossible to work with), does anyone have any ideas for de-escalating the situation before it reaches the "them or me" stage? (I'd love to drop a broken lantern on a crash-test dummy as a demo, but don't have either - does anyone know a good, scary training video?)

Ah, you'd be wanting Staplerfahrer Klaus, then!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=61...lerfahrer+klaus

Quite silly, entirely in German (not that it matters), very graphic and rather slapstick. You should be able to show it without seeming stuffy, but there's at least one bit in there where you can stop it and say "See? That's why we don't like people on stage when we're rigging."

Ah, you'd be wanting Staplerfahrer Klaus, then!
And who says they don't have a sense of humour?

Back to the question; Try to have a meeting/discussion before the get-in and make sure everyone is clear about your expectations of a safety regime. It is much harder when in the throws of a difficult, time-limited, fit up and rehearsal schedule.

You should prevent access to the whole area. Tape and notices are fairly quick/simple to set up and pack up.

Under HSE gidance employees have to obey H&S instructions or they become liable fot the conseqences of their actions in ignoring the directions. Then those that should have access to the area should wear hard hats. It's a good idea to have a very visible supply of them at the point of entry along with a standard HardHat Area sign.

Simply put, safety is paramount. If people are not following OH&S, you would be remiss if you did not stop work immediatly and inform them of the errors of their ways. Continual infraction obviously would result in ejection from the facility. That said, see if you can get your hands on a few free standing stands and some "Danger Tape". You could either tape out the 'danger zone' directly under your work, or you could take the prefered method and tape off the entire area. Then say that if they want to work within that zone, they MUST wear hard hats and stay away from where you are working. Then eject if they break the rules.

BTW: I love that video

Even with a hard hat people should not be underneath rigging. A hard hat will help if a colour frame or something light lands on you, maybe even a spanner, but it isn't going to be lot of good agaist a lantern. I hate the damned things but we now have a hard hat rule if you are at the bottom of a tallescope or under catwalks when focussing is done. And so far no objections from visiting companies.

I've done a lot of work in student theatre, and developing a 'health-and-safety-culture' is something that takes a lot of work and has to come from both the venue down (e.g. providing enough, clean, maintained hard hats) and the technicians up (e.g. always everyone wearing them when appropriate); but can be done to the point where everyone will, for example, happily wear hardhats when overhead work is done. In fact I find the cast rather like wearing them for the out!

Agreed however that people should also keep clear of overhead work where possible, in preference to PPE, but that doesn't necessarily mean they shouldn't also wear a hard hat.

Perhaps it might be an idea to draw up and written H&S plan for visiting companies. This will state all the do's and don'ts and the procedure for persons not complying with them. Have the document read and signed off by the visiting companies prod manager or whoever is responsible for the group as a whole. This should make it easier to reprimand people who don't follow procedure and CYA for any injuries or accidents which are a result of the visiting company not following the procedures they have agreed to.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
A hard hat will help if a colour frame or something light lands on you, ........................but it isn't going to be lot of good agaist a lantern.

Apparently not. If the bigger, nastier object lands vertically on the helmet, maybe.

The likely scenario is that the object strikes a glancing blow and the helmet reduces local impact.

The natural reaction in that situation is to instantly buckle/bend the knees and in conjunction with the local protection afforded by the helmet will significantly reduce the effect the object has on the body.

So wear one!

If the employer's system is that they are worn (provided they are of suitable design, fit the users, etc), you don't have the option.

I'm sure we've been here before.......

I am completely correct in thinking that hard hats whilst up ladders is a nono aren't I.

A local venue insists on all crew (including those up the ladders) wearing hard hats. Now 2 or 3 weeks back I did a get in in this venue and the only things that fell out of the grid throughout both days was hard hats.

Many of the crew did point out this ludicrous situation to the duty technician, but she was just enforcing rules from above.

Where would I stand in refusing to wear a hat whilst up a ladder, would they be entitled to remove me from the venue, or ban me from further work there?

Archived