Rigging Lights With Cable Ties...

gallente

Hey all. im totally against this for H&S reason, but is it safe to rig lights about 10 feet off the floor on some truss with cable ties? I was told to rig up some lights at my work today, which is a well known electrical shop, and I was told to use cable ties because we didnt have an G clamps in stock. I then noticed all our lights are rigged up there with cable ties. What's peoples oppinions on this. Im totally against it an have made it well known to my manager that I take no responsibility if anything happens.

So what do you all think about this? weve got some Geni movers, like Mojo scan and mojo spins, stuff like that, when I was rigging them up, they didnt feel like the cable ties could take there weight so I put a few on.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah very true, but there all rigged up there with cable ties an they have been for a few weeks. im scared walking past them. There switched on and everything so they get hot an im worried there gonna burn through the cable ties an come crashing down on some kids head.

I presume this is either a high street catalogue retailer or an out of town trade warehouse...

Either way I am sure you also stock cable cutters.

Do the honourable thing and liberate them before they escape.

Then reattach with Gaffer tape.

(Its like cable ties but better...)

Ever seen a trilite section rigged vertical to a column, its only means of support being the two mentioned so far in this reply?

Then filled full of par cans + similar fixtures described using h/c and chains...

I have SEEN not DONE. (overseas, first gig for money)

Wonder how their public liability insurers would feel about that, if someone does it knowing or should know its not the right thing and it hits someone, the excrement is likely to hit the rotating domestic appliance with fairly extreme velocity....

** laughs out loud ** oh right, well il tell u where it is. its a local high street company called....DUN DUN DUUUUUN! Maplin Electronics!!! go into your local store and have a look at how there lights are rigged up. If there with cable ties, then its everywhere, if there with G clamps, then u can complain about my store. ive said stuff to the manager but hes taken no notice so its his head on the line at the end of the day.

Im totally against it an have made it well known to my manager that I take no responsibility if anything happens.

ive said stuff to the manager but hes taken no notice so its his head on the line at the end of the day.

If the manager asked you to hit someone on the head with a hammer would you do it?

Sorry, but you are on thin legal ice here.

One and only time I've used cable ties to rig lights, was to fix some birdies to the inside of some tri-lite as truss tonners. Even then they were uprights with the birdies attached about 20mm above the floor, and I wasn't that happy about it!!

Haven't seen lanterns per se rigged with cable ties, however, I remember doing a get-out from a Spiegeltent many moons ago where temporary scaff bars were "rigged" from the permanent ones using two cable-ties...ironcially the lanterns rigged on these temporary bars had safeties! Rigged just over the heads of the audience, too...which was nice.

Hi

Firstly there are occasions when a cable tie or ties are the only solution and I have used them in these occasions and never had any problems at all, if you are worried put some bigger ones on or more little ones.

Secondly if you feel it is unsafe for you to hang them on cable tie because of your interpretation of the H&S regulations then you should not put them up. If your mananger disagrees get him to put them up or right a method statement for you to follow to prove that there is a safe method involved.

Oh Lordy

Hi

Firstly there are occasions when a cable tie or ties are the only solution and I have used them in these occasions and never had any problems at all, if you are worried put some bigger ones on or more little ones.

This is a Joke right?

Secondly if you feel it is unsafe for you to hang them on cable tie because of your interpretation of the H&S regulations then you should not put them up.

Theres a clue in the phrase cable tie, thats what they are for tieing cables not as a primary suspension for heavy loads.

Yet to see a cable tie with a SWL on it.

If your mananger disagrees get him to put them up or right a method statement for you to follow to prove that there is a safe method involved.

Oh Lordy

There will never be safe method of attaching hot lights above anything especially people with a nylon cable tie.

If somone is killed or injured by a falling light because of unsafe practices there is an not entirely outside chance that as well as civil proceedings, sued till you have nothing including future earnings left, of Criminal charges including manslaughter being presented against you.

Lets be safe out there.

Cable Ties carry no weight loading certification, are also not intended to be used to suspend lighting or technical equipments, so if all was to fail, all comes down to you! Make your own decision, but be prepared to follow your decision to their end.

Have only ever used cable ties to suspend led pars in truss for toning,

Archived