Safety in Schools

Brian

Quick question, have you received any formal training?

No

All the caretaker (that stores the tower) said was there you go then. (or something like that)

Our caretaker erects and dismantles our tower. This is only as of recently though, since we had it "refurbished". The "refurbishment" consisted of 4 planks of wood being put around the top platform to stop things falling off, and an extra platform being put on.

Our Health and Safety officer has had a clamp down recently on all things dangerous, which have now been sorted. This included moving all of our broken lanterns backstage where the happy little chappies in Years 7, 8 and 9 can smash them up to their hearts content. And they wonder why lighting in schools is so expensive? Our Head of Drama certainly does!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read through all this and yesterday I visited my mates college 'cause they've got loads of new equipment in and a newly built theatre, to my astonishment his tutor jsut strolled up casually and mentioned that the roof was a few feet lower than the other roof and if this was going to affect the way things were done well, so he handed my friend a grinder at which point he had great pleasure taking about a foot off in hole off the whole tower, it might be safe somewhere, but seeing as how we're here I think not. Sorry to just cut in with this, but what does anyone else think?

:Post ed.(Excuse the cutting in pun sorry)

[buries head in hands]

How can you just 'cut a bit off' a tower? Surely it would have meant removing both horizontal bracing as well as vertical elements? Even if only vertical elements were shortened it's still a modification to the tower and breaches several HSWA regulations. At the very least the tower will no longer have a valid BS/CE mark so using it will be in breach of PUWER (and the new working at height directive when it come in)

For a start they have a pretty old tower, and they took about inch off the bottom parts, and then an inch off every bit p to the top, where they just cut off as much as they could.

http://www.ukdragon.com/b3ta/grinding.jpg

May I just say that I am a pupil and I am in charge of designing lights and rigging them(although I can go up the tower scaffold I still direct the positioning and make have to maintain safety precautions and standards.) The electrical side of thing I can change plugs for dimmers and lights (as long as they are checked by a teacher) But the actual design of the system and the patching of the dimmers and loads are done by me and have been done by pupils for at least the last 30years. My view is that if a pupil is interested in lighting and not just showing of to there friend they should find out the technical information. I have been doing lighting for five years with no professional experience yet there have been no health and safety problems on my rigs and If I don't understand something I ask lighting friend, electricians and you guys so I believe my work to be safe.

May I also ask why doesn’t my picture appear when I post.

Scene Master

Archived