Criminal Record Bureau Check

paulears

Just had another thought on this - last panto, our sound no.2 was a 17 year old lad. He was fitting radio mics to a couple of the kids (albeit always with chaperones there), and so technically should probably have had a CRB check, but can you get a check if you're under 18? Possibly a tricky situation.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no - CRB's are only for 18+.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which leads to an interesting point since it could be said that an inexperienced 17yo sound op is perhaps more likely to be interested in the 14/15yo female dancer than a 35yo tech - very tricky situation.

...and so technically should probably have had a CRB check, but can you get a check if you're under 18? Possibly a tricky situation.

Your profile says that you are at university so if it was your student panto then technically no one needs a CRB check. CRB checks are only required, in law, for bodies in the 'regulated' sector.

It's also worth reminding people that CRB checks are like an MOT; valid for about 1 second at the moment they are issued.

Which leads to an interesting point since it could be said that an inexperienced 17yo sound op is perhaps more likely to be interested in the 14/15yo female dancer than a 35yo tech - very tricky situation.

Exactly. In this case it wasn't a problem, the lad in question was totally professional at all times and did an excellent job, but the possibility is always there.

...and so technically should probably have had a CRB check, but can you get a check if you're under 18? Possibly a tricky situation.

Your profile says that you are at university so if it was your student panto then technically no one needs a CRB check. CRB checks are only required, in law, for bodies in the 'regulated' sector.

I work at a university - my student days are long gone! As it happens, it wasn't a student panto, it was a (very good) amateur panto, matrons all had to be licensed and official - and for the first time that anyone could remember, we actually had a visit from the local licensing officer to check up on the matrons. It seems to me that this whole area is a bit of a minefield.

I hope that no one thought that my earlier comments in this thread were becouse I thought that they would make for a happier cast, easier life for the crew or a better show for anyone (including the audiance) they are just, unfortunatly, they way the world is heading.

When I ask to have some one accompany me when I am dealing with children or vulnerable adults this is not for their safety, I know they will be safe with me, it is to cover my back and to observe the regulations.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no - CRB's are only for 18+.

Im sure this is not correct. A good friend of mine had a holiday job working for IT Services at a College in Berkshire from the age of 16 till after his A Levels and I remember him taking a CRB check before he worked there even though he was only actually working at the college when there were no pupils on site.

Therefore it is possible for U18 to take a CRB check.

One question I do have though which I have always wondered is that do licenced doormen undertake a CRB check as part of their licence? Does anyone know?

It's also worth reminding people that CRB checks are like an MOT; valid for about 1 second at the moment they are issued.

And that they only mean that the person has never been caught! Just because someone has been checked does not mean that they are not going to be a risk to children and just because someon has not been checked does not mean that they are. The check really has one purpose - to satisfy journalists and paranoid parents who do not understand it.

Regardless of CRB checks, working practices that avoid any possibility of accusations of inpropriety should always be in place when there are children around in any theatre (or other venue).

As for what is disclosed, if two teenagers (say, 16y/o) are caught having intimate relations in a public place, they have to sign the Sex Offenders Register and can be on it well past their 18th birthdays. It really is a blunt weapon!

As for what is disclosed, if two teenagers (say, 16y/o) are caught having intimate relations in a public place, they have to sign the Sex Offenders Register and can be on it well past their 18th birthdays. It really is a blunt weapon!

Huh????

So you're saying that if two adults (as that's what 16 year olds are legally classed as) are 'caught' having sexual contact in public (though I doubt many would do so in THAT public an arena!!) that's classed as a sexual offence....?

Im sure this is not correct...

... it is possible for U18 to take a CRB check...

Seconded, my sister has just (February) had to have one for her work as a Young Leader (16-18) in the Girl Guides.

Huh????

So you're saying that if two adults (as that's what 16 year olds are legally classed as) are 'caught' having sexual contact in public (though I doubt many would do so in THAT public an arena!!) that's classed as a sexual offence....?

In many contexts - in particular with relation to ch1ld abus3 and child p0rn0graphy (obfuscated for obvious reasons), the legal definition of a child is a person under 18. Even in Scotland.

Couple of points to add:

Thirded - U18 can get be checked, I had one done aged 16 (by Disclosure Scotland) when working as a student drama teacher at a summer school, the thing is that if you're going to be accused of anything the CRB check counts for nothing - as already stated by others it certifies that on the date of issue you have not had any convictions etc. and hence is pretty useless - (Ian Huntley was working as a school caretaker - need I say anymore?)

I've worked in a variety of jobs involving kids and the one thing that I've found works best is to be professional, and as long as you're careful (such as never 1:1) you're fine - After all the CRB is only there for the employer to say "we never knowingly employed someone that would do such and such" to prevent litigation, its just a piece of paper to limit blame, in much the same way PAT tests say "on the date this appliance was checked it worked" but if 2 months later it bursts into flames the company are in a position to say "we did everything we saw reasonable to limit the risk, and as far as we knew it worked correctly" and so no-one can sue them for negligence.

A little query though relating back to the OP: as a freelancer you are normally self-employed, and so legally have the obligation of "the employer" such as H&S @work etc so surely you should be able to apply for a background check on your employee (ie you)

just my two pence...

ror

A little query though relating back to the OP: as a freelancer you are normally self-employed, and so legally have the obligation of "the employer" such as H&S @work etc so surely you should be able to apply for a background check on your employee (ie you)

However, this would involve them potentially sending you the "important stuff to be kept from the employee" which they aren't exactly likely to do.

• 1 month later...

Just to add some contact details, which I have been forwarded.

There is now a theatre umbrella body, who will countersign all CRB forms for theatres/theatre companies. (Don't know how it will work for freelancers)

Under the name 'Little Theatre Guild'

Contact Philip Bradley

0191 209 2364 or 0191 222 6971

e-mail p.m.bradley@ncl.ac.uk

Hope it helps,

Lee

• 1 year later...
The CRB check done on me when I was at my old college isn't much help to me now that I don't work there, so I thought I'd get one done on myself so if anybody asks if I have got one, I can say yes.

I've found out that you can't actually check yourself, so I'd have the paperwork to show anyone who was interested.

Has anyone found a solution to this? It does seem odd that the only way you can be checked out is by a prospective client doing themselves - and that isn't a simple thing as the rules mean they have to do quite a bit of work to make it happen.

Under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 'Right of Subject Access' an individual is entitled to make a Subject Access request to an organisation for information which may be held about them. If you wish to obtain up-to-date details of any criminal records in the UK, you will need to make a subject access request directly to the police force in the area where you currently or last resided in the UK. This Subject Access Police Contacts (pdf, 20kb, new window) document gives the contact details of each constabulary.

In the USA, criminal records are considered public information. Anyone can see their neighbor's criminal record. Some companies offer background search of criminal records right on the internet with instant reports. It's a little scary how much information they give out. Most job offers in the USA come with a form that you sign to permit the company to run a pre-employment background check on you.

The police also have a right to withhold information if it would jepoardise an ongoing investigation. This is why you cannot request a CRB for yourself, as a CRB normally involves a declaration of any ongoing investigations involving the CRB-ee.

Archived